Hugo Weaving Looks Amazing as Captain America Villain

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Hugo Weaving Looks Amazing as Captain America Villain

If you've ever wondered what the Australian actor would look like without a face, here's your chance to find out.

The first official image of Hugo Weaving as Captain America's arch nemesis, the Red Skull, has arrived on the internet, and he looks terrifying and dapper in equal measures. Weaving is sporting a black leather number for the movie, topped with - unsurprisingly - a reddish, skull-like motif.

It's not the first time we've seen Weaving in the Red Skull make up - he recently popped up for a few frames in the first trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107578-Transformers-Captain-America-Score-Super-Bowl-Air-Time] for the movie - but this is not only clearer, it also includes his uniform. Sharp-eyed comic book fans will recognize the symbol on his belt as the emblem of HYDRA, a terrorist organization that many high-profile Marvel villains have been members of over the years.

The movie version of the character is a little different than he was in the comics. In the comics, the Red Skull - whose real name is Johann Schmidt - wore a skull mask over a regular face, whereas the movie version wears the mask of a regular face over his hideous real face. In the movie, Schmidt's face is the result of him taking a similar super-serum to the one used to make Captain America what he is. The serum changes the person based on who they are inside, so while Captain America became a hero, Schmidt became a monster.

Weaving looks amazing in the costume, and after his performance as Agent Smith in the Matrix movies, where he was arguably the best thing the trilogy had going, it's clear that he has a flair for villains. Regardless of what the rest of the movie is like, he's almost certainly going to be a joy to watch, and for some people - myself included - he's going to be one of the top reasons to go see the film.

Captain America: First Avenger hits theaters on July 22nd.

Source: Entertainment Weekly [http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/03/03/captain-america-red-skull-first-look-exclusive/]

googleback

Apr 15, 2009
Remember how abseloutley perfect he was in V for Vendetta? I heard today that he was a last minute replacement! Outstanding actor is Weaving.

On topic; looks really cool. I hope the movie is good

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
YES YES YES A THOUSAND TIMES YES.

Seriously, this looks awesome. I genuinely cannot wait, and it comes out the day after my birthday. BONUS!

SilverHammerMan

Jul 26, 2009
So good. We all know his credentials, if anyone can pull off a villain as flamboyantly evil as the Red Skull it'll be Hugo Weaving.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Tankichi said:
Looks epic.
Logan Westbrook said:
Australian actor
Check his IMDB he's not Australian....thought that was weird. Can't wait for captain america though.
Well true, he's not Australian in the same way that Hugh Jackman is, but he grew up there, he went to school and college there, and he now lives there.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Sweet. Perfect casting choice.
Kinda always interpreted the skulls visage as more 'scarred' looking than smooth though...

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
I was gonna see the movie anyway, because I used to love the comic (ah, childhood nostalgia...) and didn't care how terrible the adaptation ended up being. This is genuinely the first good thing I've heard about the movie so far and it may just be enough to carry it. God, I hope it doesn't suck.

AlexWinter

Jun 24, 2009
I'm just not sure on it.

It looks tooooo arts and crafts. Not as scary as some people are saying.

Should have been more scarred and disfigured imo.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
That symbol on his belt seems awfully reminiscent of SPECTRE. I'm sure it's not in any way related though, because whoever heard of comic book writers borrowing material?

Seriously though, I'm kind of excited for this film. After how good Iron Man was, I'm looking forward to both this and Thor.
Anyway, he was great as both Elrond and Mr. Smith, so here's hoping he can pull off a similarly intense and high quality performance :D

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
AlexWinter said:
I'm just not sure on it.

It looks tooooo arts and crafts. Not as scary as some people are saying.

Should have been more scarred and disfigured imo.
He looks just like the comic version of the red skull, who was never all that scarred or disfigured, he's just a red skull.

I think it looks brilliant. The best part of it is the anger in Hugos eyes. He's been perfectly cast.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
I would have preferred him in Green Lantern as Sinestro but this does look pretty cool.