Wii-Powered Android N64 Emulator Brings Zelda to Smartphones

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Wii-Powered Android N64 Emulator Brings Zelda to Smartphones

You could hook your Wii Remote up to your Android smartphone to play classic N64 titles, but that might defeat the point.

I'm just going to preface this post with saying that, as always, The Escapist maintains a very firm anti-piracy stance. The development of an emulator isn't illegal, but using it to play pirated games is - so don't do it!

That said, it's always fun to appreciate the sort of technical ingenuity that goes into this kind of thing: I don't know what it takes to get N64 classics like Zelda: Ocarina of Time running on your Android smartphone, but it's probably beyond me. The framerate is a bit low, and everything feels a bit sped-up (the music is higher-pitched as a result) but otherwise yeah, that's definitely the beginning of Ocarina.

One of the cool bits about this emulator - the otherwise unpronounceable N64oid - is that it's compatible with the Wii Remote controller. That's good news if you'd be interested in actually playing the game, since an on-screen keyboard would be messy at best for Zelda.

However, it does kind of negate the whole point of having a game on a handheld device, which is portability. If you have to break out the Wii Remotes every time you wanted to play a game on this, then that just means you're playing a home console on a tiny, low-resolution screen.

So this is impractical at best, but it's still kind of cool. If you really want Ocarina of Time in your pocket, though, you'd be better off waiting for the 3DS version of the 1998 classic.

(via Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/04/n64oid-brings-nintendo-64-emulation-to-android-devices/])

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
The guy updated it so it runs normally now instead of sped up, and the on screen keyboard works better. THis just begs to be on the xperia play with its dual touch pad sticks and abxy button layout. If only you could do goldeneye over wifi/4g this would be awesome.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Is it not sort of just using the phone as a display? Or is there some techno wizardry running in the background that I can't understand?

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
LavaLampBamboo said:
Is it not sort of just using the phone as a display? Or is there some techno wizardry running in the background that I can't understand?
The phone is running an emulator that allows it to play the Zelda game. No actual N64 is involved here. Its noteworthy in that this is the first N64 emulator that actually works on a smartphone. I already have a SNES and PS1 emulator on my android, so one that does N64 games reliably is a welcome addition.

Just_A_Gamer

Mar 7, 2011
Yay, there'll be even more pirates playing Ninty's amazing games without paying one dollar/euro for them. Soon someone will succeed to run Dolphin on the iPad, and then there will be even more pirates playing GC and Wii games. Simply amazing!
[/sarcasm]

Well, I personally prefer the 3DS version. I've played Majoras Mask on a 42" TV recently and well, it doesn't look too good. But the screens of OOT3DS look very promising and I think I'll be one of those guys who buy this fantastic game. Again. And play it legally.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I thought you meant an actual android....I was disappointed.

sturryz

Nov 17, 2007
Right, gonna just save up for a Pandora you use the awesome N64 emulator on that.

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
Remember kids. Dont try this at home or you will burn in hell like he will.

/sarcasm

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
My question is that of all systems, why the N64? Don't get me wrong, I love my ol' Nintendo console, but the games are almost exclusively action-oriented, and how many times can you really play games like OoT before it gets a bit old?
I do occasionally go back and play my N64 games, yes, but I don't think the experience of nostalgic N64 games could really be improved by playing it in public on a tiny screen.

(Oh GOD, a 3D console is now Nostalgic. That's beyond horrifying.)

Neogeta said:
It can be practical. Use the Wii game pad and kinda tape the phone to it. Or better yet, get your jesus carpentry work on and build a nice dock. Boom. Make shift handheld. Only you have the entire back catalog of PS1, SNES, N64, NES, Genesis, Atari, Gamegear, Gameboy, as long as u own the game already. All without carrying an extra device, like a gameboy or DS or whatever. Android FTW.
Owning a game does not make downloading an emulator for it legal. It may make it less amoral, but not legal.
People are entitled to create copies of certain digital products they buy for their own personal use (Hence why the act of burning music CDs is legal) but obtaining copies from others is considered obtaining an additional, illegal license from others.
Game ROMs are not legal, period. (Unless, of course, you own the rights yourself, in which case you can do whatever you want with it) At least, in the US.

Mandalore_15

Aug 12, 2009
Considering that you can no longer buy N64 games in a way that gives any money to Nintendo, I fail to see how this is even close to piracy...