Engineers Build a Balloon-House, Proving Up! (Sort of) Totally Possible

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
Engineers Build a Balloon-House, Proving Up! (Sort of) Totally Possible

The people at National Geographic know that the best way to prove a balloon-powered flying house is possible is to get a bunch of balloons and build one yourself.

The National Geographic Channel, along with a team of engineers and balloon pilots, successfully managed to launch a 16' x 16' x 18' house 10,000 feet in the air on Saturday, where the 10 story tall, 300 balloon construct flew for over an hour.

The experiment, modeled on the floating house from Pixar's movie Up! was carried out and filmed for an upcoming show on the National Geographic Channel, entitled How Hard Can It Be? The answer, for a real house, turned out to be "nearly impossible."

So instead of attempting to float a real, full-sized and completely furnished home, the team decided to build their own bare-bones house that might actually be capable of flying. The construction took more than a full day of working, even with volunteers, but the balloon-house was finally ready by dawn, when it was finally launched, setting the world record for largest balloon cluster flight ever attempted in the process.

It is an impressive feat, and I'm sure it will make great TV, but I think I know what question you all are asking right now, because I'm asking it too:

How the hell did they get it down?

Source: IWatchStuff [http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/upinspired-floating-house-14]

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
Scott Bullock said:
It is an impressive feat, and I'm sure it will make great TV, but I think I know what question you all are asking right now, because I'm asking it too:

Rifle and lots of bullets.

I WANT A GO!

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
I had heard that they did this but had little belief that it was true.
I'm speechless.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Aurora219 said:
Scott Bullock said:

Rifle and lots of bullets.

I WANT A GO!
We have to go in order, it goes Me then Simmons then me, you, Simmons, me, me, you, me, Simmons, me, me, me! It makes perfect sense! /Redvsblue reference.

OT: Honestly I wish I could have watched that, it sounds like fun.

EDIT: Move over Inglip, Lord Sarnan has come!

Kwatsu

Feb 21, 2007
They didn't. It will fly over us forever as a silent guardian, descending whenever someone really needs a house.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
I wonder about the mass of helium used by this house's lift as compared to the Up house - did they use a similar amount? More? Less?

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
how DID that get it down...

wasn't there a guy in it? (thought I saw him in it in another picture)

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
I'm waiting for someone to build the Winnebago Zeppelin, but without the hydrogen lifting gas and rocket-fuel based paint...

Henrik Moeller

Apr 8, 2010
You don't have to shoot it down, as balloons rise to thinner air the internal pressure is greater than the external, expanding the balloon until it bursts or the molecules are so far apart that air is released between them.

Theron Julius

Nov 30, 2009
How did they get it down? Well if Dead Space has taught me anything, engineers have a plethora of effective construction and mining tools that could take down something as measly as a balloon

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Henrik Moeller said:
You don't have to shoot it down, as balloons rise to thinner air the internal pressure is greater than the external, expanding the balloon until it bursts or the molecules are so far apart that air is released between them.
But due to wind currents and wind patterns, this would be extremely dangerous when the house lands...

OT: That looks awesome! I want a flying house!!

Dooly95

Jun 13, 2009
Perhaps they just left it.

And found it landed somewhere far away.

Like New York.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Awesome! Though how did they get it down?

I wouldn't want to be close to site as the ballons pop.