Bungie Veterans Announce 2D Sci-Fi Shooter Fallen Frontier

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Bungie Veterans Announce 2D Sci-Fi Shooter Fallen Frontier

Moonshot Games, a small studio made up of Bungie veterans, has announced its first project.

If you haven't heard of Halo [http://www.moonshotgames.com/] producer, programmer, and writer, in addition to an experienced artist. Moonshot recently unveiled its very first game, a sidescroller called Fallen Frontier.

Fallen Frontier is no Super Mario Bros., however. It takes place in a "hard sci-fi universe" with players in the role of a badass lawman out for revenge in a noir-style mystery. Moonshot says it features "fast-paced tactical combat" and "vast interconnected worlds."

The game's first trailer shows the main character fighting against heavily armored enemies with automatic weaponry, grenades, and melee strikes as he climbs and pulls enemies around with a grappling cable. It looks very Metroidvania, with an added dose of dystopia.

Players must complete missions to advance the storyline, but not necessarily alone. Fallen Frontier offers both single player and co-op modes. It doesn't appear to have been announced for a specific platform yet, but considering the success [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94340-Shadow-Complex-Scores-XBLA-Sales-Record] of the similar Shadow Complex, XBLA and the PSN are likely candidates.

Moonshot will be showing off Fallen Frontier at PAX East from March 11-13, so we'll be sure to get some hands-on time and see how it's coming along.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
That splitscreen mechanic with the split taking place and moving relative to in what direction the two players are seperated looked amazing. Time will tell if it meshes well with gameplay though.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Sounds like fun, I really hope there will be a PC version, even though I know there won't be.

Rarhnor

Jun 2, 2010
Meh. Sure, it looks decent, but the side-scroll era had a nice run in the <64 bit time, and it's nothing groundbreaking like Shadow Complex. Pass.

Colonel Alzheimer's

Jan 3, 2010
I loved the art style, and the setting was interesting, although the story was pretty generic. Hard to tell about the gameplay at this point, but it looked kinda bland to be honest. Hopefully they release another trailer with more explosions :D

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
I like the look of this, the art style was cool, plus I'm sold on pretty much anything with noir in the title. I think I'd prefer to play this on PC rather than XBLA, because you could be a little bit more accurate with the laser pointers of weapons... Time will tell I suppose.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
It's at this point that I'd like to remind people that Bungie also did the Mac port for Abuse, back in the day. Coincidentally, Mac Abuse was very similar, right down to the dynamic split-screen, although it lacked the grapple.

@Benzooka, Batman on the Amiga handled like arse. It was a neat game, but it still handled like arse. If this handles at least as well as Abuse, I see a future full of puppies and bunnies in store for us.

knhirt

Nov 9, 2009
ExileNZ said:
It's at this point that I'd like to remind people that Bungie also did the Mac port for Abuse, back in the day. Coincidentally, Mac Abuse was very similar, right down to the dynamic split-screen, although it lacked the grapple.
Abuse! Man, I remember that.
Abuse was amazing and terrifying as hell. I was no good at it, but damn, that was one of my favorite games as a kid.

If this is anything like abuse, it'll probably be good.
Can't say I'm too fond of the character art, though.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Rarhnor said:
Meh. Sure, it looks decent, but the side-scroll era had a nice run in the <64 bit time, and it's nothing groundbreaking like Shadow Complex. Pass.
That time has long passed, though. Frankly, I think it is about time that side-scrollers made a comeback.

miva2

Mar 18, 2010
i was interested after seeing the title but the gameplay looks kinda boring.
now metal slug, that's a great 2D shooter