Rumor: Grand Theft Auto V Codenamed "Rush"

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Rumor: Grand Theft Auto V Codenamed "Rush"

A set of casting calls suggest a codename and possible setting for Grand Theft Auto V.

Internet investigations have revealed what could be hints toward a future Grand Theft Auto [http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Theft-Auto-IV-Xbox-360/dp/B000FRU1UM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299606135&sr=8-1] title. The Superannuation twitter account has uncovered a list of acting calls made by Rockstar Games' casting company that seriously sound like characters from the GTA series, in addition to a potential codename.

A discovered resume of an actress named Shandar Robinson [http://resumes.actorsaccess.com/shandarrobinson] reveals she played an "inner city female street" in something called Rush for Take-Two Games, Rockstar Games' parent company. Take-Two doesn't have anything announced called Rush, and an "inner city female" is definitely the kind of character you'd expect in a Grand Theft Auto game.

Further, regular Rockstar casting firm Telsey + Company has been searching for actors [http://www.theagencyonline.com/news.php?castingid=1472&title=Rush] to fill roles in a project called Rush, and they'd all mesh perfectly with the Grand Theft Auto universe. Some of the descriptions call for an "somewhat incompetent Chinese mobster" that loves doing ecstasy and going to raves, a "neurotic soccer mom" that is anxious and addled on pain killers, a "Weed evangelist" who is now a leading proponent of marijuana's fantastic properties, a "FPS playing gamer son" that is "into making racist comments while playing online," and an "Armenian car dealer, moneylender, would be Fagin and would be bully" that is heavily connected to the underworld.

If these aren't characters from Grand Theft Auto, Take-Two must have something else very similar in the works, which is unlikely. The listings would put Grand Theft Auto V in a fairly modern setting, what with the FPS player that talks trash online.

Analysts expect [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106258-Pachter-GTA-V-Could-Sell-More-Than-Any-Game-Ever] the announcement of a new Grand Theft Auto game within a year, but Rockstar and Take-Two have made no mention of Grand Theft Auto V whatsoever. E3 2011, coming up this summer, seems like the perfect place to announce such a title.

Source: Gamasutra [http://twitter.com/#!/supererogatory]

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
I say BAH and continue spraying poo on houses in Saints Row 2. Until GTA can come up with something that entertaining i won't be playing any future games in that series.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Yea.
According to what I've heard there's a new GTA coming out next year. They probably are getting ready to record the VOs about now.

I just hope this one is more fun than gta4. The characters sound pretty funny; not the pretentious walking wounded types we had to play (with) in gta4.

I have to say, I am also more excited about Saints Row the Third.

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
I'm going to fly in the face of all expecations and say I hope that it isn't a new Grand Theft Auto. I hope this somehow will lead to the announcement of a new game in the 'Rush' series of racing games.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
You know what? Wouldn't it be interesting if that "inner city female" was the main character of GTAV? Personally, I think that would be an awesome way of mixing up the game. Who knows, it could happen...

J21R

Sep 18, 2010
If this does not turn into a game of Geddy Lee's little publicised carjacking and murder spree I will not be happy.

Ash Matthews

Aug 9, 2010
If this is a new GTA game then good, it's been a while since GTAIV came out and even though I fully enjoyed it, the wasn't that much to do in Liberty City.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Oh goody. More NPCs to carjack and shoot in the face for fun!
Oh and do me a favor Rock Star, put a HUD in the Helicopters so that I can see where I'm aiming. I like to get on target before I start shooting not fire blindly and move around until the tracers go where I want them to go. Thank you

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
If it is a new GTA, I hope they do the multiplayer in a similar fashion to Red Dead Redemptions, in the fact that you can earn experience to rank up by doing virtually anything; you couldn't rank up fast enough in GTA4, and even if you could, everyone only played Free Roam.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
BreakfastMan said:
You know what? Wouldn't it be interesting if that "inner city female" was the main character of GTAV? Personally, I think that would be an awesome way of mixing up the game. Who knows, it could happen...
Could be interesting, and it is perhaps time to offer us something a bit more different. Seeing that we have had male leads for every other GTA game ever made, a female lead character would make a nice change.

Now, I did actually enjoy the more serious tone that GTA 4 had, something a little more lighthearted would be good this time around. I've always thought they might return us to a modern day Vice City, given the reference(s) to the place that popped up in GTA4. A "weed evangalist" would probably fit into that kind of setting quite well. :)

lostzombies.com

Apr 26, 2010
SnootyEnglishman said:
I say BAH and continue spraying poo on houses in Saints Row 2. Until GTA can come up with something that entertaining i won't be playing any future games in that series.
/thread

GTA lost it's crown to Saints Row 2. I'd be suprised if Saints Row 2 even let's GTA clean it's toilet. GTA would have to do something VERY original and new to regain it's crown because Saints Row has the 'vice city' style sandbox game market completely covered.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
lostzombies.com said:
SnootyEnglishman said:
/thread

GTA lost it's crown to Saints Row 2. I'd be suprised if Saints Row 2 even let's GTA clean it's toilet. GTA would have to do something VERY original and new to regain it's crown because Saints Row has the 'vice city' style sandbox game market completely covered.
The Saints Row games are nothing compared to the GTA series. In fact they barely even deserve to have someone think about even considering mentioning them in the same breath as GTA.

/thread

There, I just ended this discussion. Forever.

It's amazing how easy it is do something like that isn't it, regardless of how preposterous the whole thing is?

neoman10

Big Brother
Sep 23, 2008
I'm sorry but... Fly by night, away from here, Change my life again. Fly by night, goodbye my dear. My ship isn't coming and I just can't pretend!

needed to do that, nothing else.