Mortal Kombat Demo Footage Shows a Flurry of Fatalities

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Mortal Kombat Demo Footage Shows a Flurry of Fatalities

Decapitations, dismemberments and lots and lots of blood: That's the Mortal Kombat we all know and love.

NetherRealm and Warner Bros. have been keeping Mortal Kombat's fatalities under wraps, but know that the demo has hit PSN - at least for PSN Plus subscribers - the cat is very much out of the bag. Probably a good thing too, as judging by this video of all the demo's fatalities, if it had hung around for much longer it would have come to a rather sticky end.

What is immediately striking is how graphic the fatalities are, especially when compared with their PG-13 counterparts in the last MK game, Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe. Heads are torn off, faces are eaten, people are chopped into pieces, and someone even falls into a pit with spikes at the bottom. Besides the fatalities of the characters in the demo, there's also a short montage of other character's finishing moves at the end, with lots more blood and gore to go around. Interestingly, there also seems to be a lot more level based fatalities, with people having their faces held in molten lava, getting their heads smashed into passing trains, and even being eaten by demonic trees.

Watching the video really does put you in mind of the classic Mortal Kombat games, from before the series lost its way. If anything, the new fatalities might be a little more violent than the old one, although it's equally possible that it just seems that way because of the improved graphical fidelity.

Mortal Kombat comes out for PS3 and Xbox 360 on April 19th.

Source Lens of Truth [http://www.lensoftruth.com/features/first-look/first-look-mortal-kombat-demo/] via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/292731/news/mortal-kombat-video-shows-fatalities-new-faces/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS]

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
Well, shoot. Looks like I have more reasons to make sure my XBOX 360 CE is picked up on Day 1.

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/xbox-360-exclusive-character-mortal-kombat/

Sony may have Kratos, but I'm not giving them a cent, even with this news.

Layzor

Feb 18, 2009
To me this really seems like a step backwards, MK Deception and Armageddon on the PS2 were fantastic fighting games. The series never "lost it's way", they just made one shite crossover game. Ramping up the gore in HD is not the next step this franchise should be taking and marketing on nostalgia just limits evolution and improvement. The lack of strafing literally robs the combat of a dimension and those x-ray shots, while they look cool the first few times just ruin the flow that a fighting game should have.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
Looks nice, although comp AI is shit, unless it was played on easy. Then again, it was always meant to be played with your friends so I don't Komplain (sorry, Kouldn't resist myself :p).

Sub-Zero and Ermac look like a terribly cheap characters though...

Also - Environment fatalities look awesome, especially that train one.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Ho.Ly.Shit. THIS, This is the Mortal Kombat I remember, this is the Mortal Kombat that should've been, before all the nonsense of the DCvMK.
Although, that's the only "shitty" MK I remember, because Deadly Alliance, Deception and Armageddon were awesome.

Another great reason to pick up a console (PS3), unless, you know, it gets released for PC... One can only dream...

Drauden

Jun 2, 2010
Preordered Kollector's Edition earlier today. I'm ready to sit on my couch all easter.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Kollector's edition pre-ordered (PS3 of course). Can't wait! First real MK game since MK Armageddon.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
Edit: Sorry for double posting. Hmmm...

The lava fatality gives to Scorpion a twin brother.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
Whoa, Kratos?!

This thing just got interesting. I'm not surprised though.

kalt_13

Veteran n00b
Sep 14, 2008
so pissed I wont be able to get this in Australia, unless of course its been given a rating and I've missed something.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
kalt_13 said:
so pissed I wont be able to get this in Australia, unless of course its been given a rating and I've missed something.
Same here dude, just import it though, a lot of people will be doing that, plus you get it for cheaper since our local prices are ridiculously inflated.

Also, everytime something comes out for this game I get even more excited, this looks AWESOME. I'm a lifelong MK fan and it's shaping up to be the best game in the series by far, I love the classic games especially and I'm glad they've gone more back to the roots.

Ellen of Kitten

Nov 30, 2010
Good god man, that was some of the most brutal action I've ever seen! I would have liked to have seen more than Sub-Zero, Scorpian and Melina fight. Sure there was a little Johnny Cage, but there's a massive roster to though. Sub Zero verses himself was largely unnecessary.

I miss Old Shang Tsung. I seem to recall there was a story reason as to why he was young again, but he had a unique quality being the Old fighter on the roster. Aside from being the main baddy in the original.

Also, about how much double sided tape is Melina using?? That outfit is dangerously close to a pair of nip slips. I couldn't pull that off, even with glue binding the twins to that outfit. ;_;

chaos order

Jan 27, 2010
it definately had the old nostalgia with the gore plus DID I SEE SHANG TSUNG CHANGE into sonya when he did his soul steal? cause i missed that soo much.