Cheaters Won't Prosper in Crysis 2

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Cheaters Won't Prosper in Crysis 2

Crytek knows that people are cheating in the multiplayer demo for Crysis 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Crysis-2-Limited-Pc/dp/B002BS47YE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299778129&sr=8-1] but says it won't be so easy to get away with those shenanigans in the full game.

If there's one thing you can count on in online gaming, it's cheating. There will always be those for whom "fun" can apparently only be achieved through victory at any cost, even if that means using hacks and exploits to give themselves an unfair advantage over the competition. So what if it screws things up for everyone else? The important thing is that you look good to strangers on the internet who don't know about your dirty tricks.

But Crytek knows what you've been up to and it's not going to stand for it. "We know that some people have been playing with an unfair advantage in the Crysis 2 demo," the studio wrote on the Crysis 2 blog [http://www.ea.com/crysis-2/blog/addressing-cheaters]. "Rest assured that although the demo does not have these features installed, our team has been working for some time on various anti-cheat measures that have been introduced for the retail release of Crysis 2. We would like to make sure everyone is aware of how important this issue is to us, and that we will continue to strive for a cheat-free community with Crysis 2."

It's not exactly a surprise, since most online games make use of some form of anti-cheat technology these days, but still no doubt a reassurance for gamers worried that the final game would be as wide open as the demo. Crysis 2 comes out on March 22 for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
WOW! they are not wasting anytime on that, although, i played the demo, and i guess i would have to cheat to have any fun on it...

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
If these 'anti-cheating' features are still being worked on then I guess they weren't present in the unofficial early-released version. That's promising (if it means the anti-cheating measures are hense harder to circumnavigate)

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I hate people who cheat, and use aim bots and what not in online FPS's. But gimme a break. I love when companies make these promises. There are people who make a profit off of cheating, so they are always devising new methods of cheating. I don't care if I come across the occasional cheater, ultimately it doesn't make any difference in the game for me. I don't think they will be able to follow through, and if they can, it certainly won't be 100% of the time. Get used to it, cheaters are here to stay. The only thing that makes me mad about it, is it renders the ultimately pointless level system these companies think are a good idea to put into the game, completely useless.

drivel

Aug 1, 2008
I played the demo for all of ten minutes last night, at which point it crashed. This was after spending 30 minutes trying to get registered and logged in. And I heard you have to "switch" to grenades as a separate weapon. What the heck is that all about? So, f that noise.

This thing is labeled a demo, but it's more like a beta. Remember when demos were a full fifth to third of the finished product? *sigh*

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I couldn't even get the demo to work for me and it's still kind of difficult for me to wrap my head around how cheating is possible in FPS's in this day and age but then I realize Crysis 2 is more PC based which makes hacks and cheating more accessible I assume.

Kalezian said:
Cheating is bad, don't get me wrong, but sometimes it can be beyond hilarious.
Being stuck on a console, I can't really cheat during online matches. I can 'play my own way' however and it can get really hilarious (especially when a well-placed grenade gets my 'team members' killed and I don't get a 'betrayal' penalty)

Scabadus

Wrote Some Words
Jul 16, 2009
I'm beginning to get the impression that the Crysis 2 demo is a very old build of the game with sub-par graphics compared to the final release and half the features missing. No single player mode for an (apparently) single player focused game and no anti-cheat software since it is only multiplayer. I though demos were meant to showcase the very best of a game to make people want to buy it, or is that a new an innovative idea that I shoudl try to sell?

I've been looking forward to Crysis 2 since it was anounced, yet the demo - while not convincing me the game will be terrible - is going to make me double check reviews and forums about the game before buying it.

NoseDigger

Aug 25, 2009
I'm willing to bet the system will crumble within two weeks.
Having said that, I do hope it lasts longer...

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
The only good thing about cheating is when you're just so good that you beat the cheater without hacks.
Cheaters should get some skills... You know, like ME.

Even with that said, when I was playing the demo I only ran across one person who was using hacks. Maybe I'm just getting into nice fair servers all the time.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
drivel said:
I played the demo for all of ten minutes last night, at which point it crashed. This was after spending 30 minutes trying to get registered and logged in. And I heard you have to "switch" to grenades as a separate weapon. What the heck is that all about? So, f that noise.

This thing is labeled a demo, but it's more like a beta. Remember when demos were a full fifth to third of the finished product? *sigh*
I remember when a large game came on a half a CD-Rom. Or when it was smaller than a 3.5 floppy.

Grenade thing is the same way it was in Crysis 1. I also had many problems with crashes, they settled down very soon after demo started...

drivel

Aug 1, 2008
Abedeus said:
I remember when a large game came on a half a CD-Rom. Or when it was smaller than a 3.5 floppy.

Grenade thing is the same way it was in Crysis 1. I also had many problems with crashes, they settled down very soon after demo started...
I guess you're right about the grenade thing. It's been so long since I played the original Crysis I didn't remember that. You say the crashes settled down after the demo started, it's apparently still a problem for a number of people based on what I saw on the forums at mycrysis.com.

luckycharms8282

Mar 28, 2009
Taht's good to hear. I only wish Activision and Infinity Ward would do the same with their games. *cough* call of duty

drivel

Aug 1, 2008
Deshara said:
balancing. I know it pisses me off when some fucker killed you and three others by throwing a nade all the way across the map, over two buildings, and then jumps off the level to get his nades back.
Fair enough. I can see how that's annoying. I dunno, 'nade spam is just something I've accepted as a part of modern FPS gaming. I loved dodging explosions in CoD:MW. Of course, I found that game to be the pinnacle of multiplayer shooting. Besides, if you have dedicated servers with good mods, they'll boot someone who's being an asshat like you described.

alexxcodered

Feb 3, 2011
why the hell cant designers just add an optional server without cheat blocking it will take essentially no extra work and the hackers still get their fun, everyone would be happy

runedeadthA

Feb 18, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
Hopefully they will find a proper way to get rid of them. I personally never encountered a cheater in Crysis 2 MP demo yet but either way, good call from the studio!
Valve's done a pretty good job with cheaters, and Crytek did pretty well in warhead (Only unsecured servers had cheaters).
What REALLY pisses me off is Aim Assist on PC. Why they felt the need to include it is beyond comprehension. Let alone having it on BY DEFAULT. *Le' Sigh*

Also, people in the UK and Europe joining Australian servers, its happened a suprising amount of times, its no fun when that guy you shot 20 times doesn't die -_-