Keyboard, Mouse and Gamepad Combine to Form World's Most Awkward Controller

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Keyboard, Mouse and Gamepad Combine to Form World's Most Awkward Controller

What do you get when you combine a wireless motion-sensing mouse, a computer keyboard and a PlayStation-style controller? I don't know, but it sure looks uncomfortable to hold.

No matter our gaming platform of choice, we can probably all agree that different kinds of input devices are suited to different kinds of games. You can't beat a mouse/keyboard setup for an FPS, RTS or MMO, but fighting games, platformers and action games just feel better on a console controller. And then there's all this motion-control stuff that when used properly is pretty darn cool.

So if you put them all together, then you'd obviously have the best and most useful gaming peripheral of all time, right?

As it turns out - no, not so much.

Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not insinuating that the Veho Mimi [http://www.veho-uk.com/main/shop_detail.aspx?article=141] isn't an interesting gadget. It has a full console-style controller complete with D-pad, two analog sticks and four shoulder buttons. It has a complete QWERTY keyboard with hotkey support. It even has an accelerometer, meaning it can be used as a mouse-slash-motion control device. This is kind of like the Voltron of input devices, when you think about it.

It just looks ridiculously awkward and uncomfortable to hold. I've seen cinder blocks that looked more streamlined than this puppy. You'd have to have the hands of a giant to hold the thing in the first place, but then you'd need the fingers of a ten-year-old kid to use the keyboard. And if you're using the keyboard with both hands, how are you supposed to use the mouse functionality - and that's not even getting into the typical WASD/Mouse setup of an FPS.

If you're dying to try the Veho Mimi for yourself, you can pick it up [http://www.veho-uk.com/main/shop_detail.aspx?article=141] for $119.95. The device will last for 20 hours of continuous use on a 3-hour charge, though I'd be willing to bet most gamers wouldn't be able to last 20 hours holding that monstrosity.

And we thought the Jaguar [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_Jaguar]'s controller was weird.

(Via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/#!5780647/the-absurd-motion+sensing-keyboard+packing-gamepad])

JoshGod

Aug 31, 2009
Looks to me like a 360 controler with an underneath keyboard. I believe you can get an add on keyboard for a 360 controller, so why is this necessary, besides who would pay that much for a controller?

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Not only does it look uncomfortable but what's the point? If you're on a console you won't be allowed to use the keyboard or mouse components in game and if you want to type you're better off plugging in an actual keyboard rather that lugging one around with your gamepad. If you're on a PC presumably there's already a keyboard and mouse attached and if you'd rather game with a gamepad again you wouldn't want a keyboard glued to the bottom.

I really really really wish that Microsoft and Sony would require fully keyboard and mouse support for their games for those of us who prefer that method of controller. However this strange device isn't doing anyone any favors.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
actually, an analog stick with a mouse would be PERFECT controls for an FPS - aiming with the mouse, forward/back and strafing with the analog stick for variable walk/run speeds. I actually think that the Wii's nunchuk is the best concept for that so far, since you can hold it in one hand - the only thing you need is a mouse instead of a wii-mote attached and it's perfect.

This monstrosity, however...

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Seeing that make the Keyboard Gamecube controller more appealing (it pretty much look like the Gamecube controller cut in half and attack at a keyboard sides and it suppose to be use for games like PSO E1&2)

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
coldfrog said:
actually, an analog stick with a mouse would be PERFECT controls for an FPS - aiming with the mouse, forward/back and strafing with the analog stick for variable walk/run speeds.
When I have the option I use a joystick + mouse combination and it's great, and an analog stick has many of the same advantages. However an analogue stick doesn't give you much button access whereas a good joystick has lots of options. Mine is fairly basic and I still have immediate access to a hat switch, trigger, and several additional buttons. With a gamepad you generally don't have more than the analog stick, a trigger, and probably a shoulder button or two.

While I generally find that PC gamers who cry "consolization!" are scapegoating the trend towards gamepad support has decimated game options. Playing Thief and Thief 2 there are a dozen different things I can do right at my fingertips . . . Thief 3 cut that in half since it was a multiplatform title and gamepads simply can't handle many immediate access buttons. :(

nekoali

Aug 25, 2009
Well, I have the keyboard attachment with my Xbox 360 controller, it is a lot easier using that to enter text instead of the on screen keyboard. But it is by no definition a 'full use' keyboard, and I wouldn't think of using it for gaming. It's basically like a phone or PDA keyboard, way to small.

This thing is for PC though... where I already have a mouse and keyboard by default, and I can plug in any of a variety of controllers if I want.. So why would I need this huge Frankenstein's Monster of all of them? The mouse function seems like it would be awful imprecise as well...

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
I wonder how much it weighs?

Anyway that's just multifunction-pathetic, this is multifuction-awesome:

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
I actually would love the chance to try it. If the price was right.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Well that's new.

I have now seen something that can be physically described as "What the fuck?"

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
I bet it would be easier to type with a joystick than with that keyboard.

Upbeat Zombie

Jun 29, 2010
I don't see when you ever would want to use it? Pc's already have a mouse/keyboard, and consoles already come with controllers. So I guess if you wanted to use a controller on you Pc, but then you wouldn't want a keyboard on it, so who is this supposed to be for?