Hi-Rez Studios Annouces Tribes: Ascend

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Hi-Rez Studios Annouces Tribes: Ascend

[video=2888]

The online shooter experience of Tribes [http://www.amazon.com/Tribes-Starsiege-ultimate-first-person-warfare-Pc/dp/B000GNSZNK/ref=sr_1_5?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1299875195&sr=1-5] is coming back in Tribes: Ascend, a new game currently in development at Hi-Rez Studios.

In October 2010, Hi-Rez revealed that it was Tribes 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104668-Tribes-Back-in-Business-As-Persistent-Shooter-MMO].

"As we began development of Tribes Universe, we focused first on capturing that essence - refining and modernizing iconic elements like jetpacks, skiing, and vehicles," said Hi-Rez Studios COO Todd Harris. "We've had tremendous fun play-testing and realized the potential of a multiplayer focused title ahead of Tribes Universe. The community has been waiting for a multi-player shooter that is the modern successor to Tribes 2. Tribes: Ascend is that game."

Tribes: Ascend is scheduled to come out later this year as a digital release for the PC and Xbox 360, while other platforms are "under consideration." For more information, check out Facebook page [http://www.tribesascend.com].

Lawyer105

Apr 15, 2009
Having spent a bunch of time soaking up the utter, total mediocrity that is HiRez in Global Agenda, and having watched them repeatedly fail to deliver anything that people really wanted, I have absolutely no intention of purchasing this game (or any other HiRez product). HiRez is nearly as bad as (non-EQ) SOE and should be avoided at all costs.

thedman

Mar 16, 2010
Never posted before, but I just had to share this. Anyone notice the heated battle in those images that flashed by at the end?

FlashHero

Apr 3, 2010
thedman said:
Never posted before, but I just had to share this. Anyone notice the heated battle in those images that flashed by at the end?
If i were a game dev I would totally put that in all my games.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
SWEEEEEET!!!! Oh man, I geeked out when I saw this trailer. I used to play the hell out of the first Tribes!! Even better, I see its coming to the 360! It will be mine!

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well the Tribes name sure is pants tightening awesomeness, the MMO part however is the opposite... I really hope something good comes out of this.

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
Lawyer105 said:
Having spent a bunch of time soaking up the utter, total mediocrity that is HiRez in Global Agenda, and having watched them repeatedly fail to deliver anything that people really wanted, I have absolutely no intention of purchasing this game (or any other HiRez product). HiRez is nearly as bad as (non-EQ) SOE and should be avoided at all costs.
This so much. I was so pumped for Global Agenda to be the second coming of Planetside, but then it turned out to be some PvE/RPG 10 vs 10 arena shooter instead of an MMOFPS.

Wouldn't hold my breath, you guys.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
And so, rumor becomes reality.
Tribes 2 was one of but a handful of multiplayer-only games I've ever played extensively and enjoyed.

Still, the fact that it's an MMO has me worried.
The Tribes series prided itself on fast tactical gameplay. Having to grind for new gear/abilities/reputation is something I absolutely despise in a genre that's meant to be "Compete on Execution".
Most AAA shooters pull this shit, and I hate it. Having to put up with hours of assholes, whiners, quitters/leavers, and cheaters just to unlock more of the game is a headache that I simply don't have the patience for anymore.

Well, I'll give it one last shot, but if it turns into some subscription based time sink, I'll write off Tribes for good (or stick to the excellent Tribes 2 server I keep around).

Lawyer105

Apr 15, 2009
I guess people really do never learn.

Amazing trailers translate into fail games more often than not. And yet, one trailer and everybody's creaming their pants.

It just makes me go WTF and want to weep for humanity...

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Jonny49 said:
I've always wanted to play Tribes, now it looks like I'll get my chance.
The only thing stopping you before was, well, you.
Tribes 2 has been legally free to download and play since the promotional for Tribes: Vengeance back in 2005.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
Atmos Duality said:
Jonny49 said:
The only thing stopping you before was, well, you.
Tribes 2 has been legally free to download and play since the promotional for Tribes: Vengeance back in 2005.
Chaos Marine said:
Jonny49 said:
You can actually download the original one for free you realise?
Really?

I must find!!