7554: Vietnam's Call of Duty Coming Next Year

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
It looks kinda boring. AI is stupid, guns sound like you're chopping wood, and it just looks bland and devoid of atmosphere. And they are trying too hard to be like CoD. They even have those slow-mo room breaches. I'd rather spend my money (even if it is $12) on other indie titles. I just don't have the stomach for military shooters anymore. Even less for bad military shooters.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
Appropriate era weapons (did I see a Nambu? The fuck?), if this was done by Treyarch everyone would wield XM8s, ACRs and SCARs complete with ACOGs and under-barrel flamethrowers.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Wait, what? AWESOME! Why haven't I heard about this before? This actually looks like the older CoD games, that used a historical background to dump you into massive battles. I hope it has co-op, please?!

sabercrusader

Jul 18, 2009
*cue American fanboyism*
Those damn commies, we beat their ass back in Vietnam and now they want to make a game where America doesn't save the world? I say we start another war, show 'em who's boss around here.
*uncue*

OT: This sounds interesting, even though I won't be buying nor playing it, I applaud them for trying something new, that's a HELL of a lot more than what can be said for most game companies nowadays.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
...I don't know. I'm kind of sick of all the Call of Battlefields at this point. I mean, I do like historical context and such, but whatever.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
teebeeohh said:
this is great, now make me a game where i am some poor japanese soldier in WW2 who is in possession of a bag of letters (just soldiers writing home) and tries to get this off the island before the whole thing gets bombed to kingdom come. Oh and have me shoot chinese civilians in a flashback. and at the end, when he dies the allied soldier find the letters, make fun of the symbols and decide to use them as toilet paper.

ok...
i got a little carried away there.
no, Germany should get a game first. Japan already has it too easy with how their viewed in regards to WW2.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Historical and Call of Duty post W@W and 1-3?

Pfft..

Not possible....

Call of Duty should team up w/ .....ummm...Star Wars!.. Call of Vader: We are 501st...its cheap...cheesy..and Lucas and Activision all roll in money!

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
Its nice to see an game that doesn't have the Russians or terrorists as the baddies for once. Then again, I am starting to get really tired of these generic FPS's, and I don't think an change who I shoot at will be enough to change that feeling.

Though 12$ really is a bargain >.>

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
soooo fighting the French now are we?
as if CoD-style FPS games' campaigns aren't short enough already

I kid I kid :p took a great class about the Vietnam Conflict. was very eye opening. a pity Black Ops didn't really deliver on that front

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
A battle between a South-East Asian nation and its former colonial overlord may seem a bit limiting as a videogame setting, not to mention the potentially sticky subject matter.
Actually it's not potentially sticky at all. As someone who studied Vietnamese history and lived in Vietnam for a period, I can tell you Dien Bien Phu is to the Vietnamese what Stalingrad is to the Russians. Just because the French were on the winning side a decade earlier in WW2 doesn't make their presence in Vietnam legitimate in any way. In fact, the French high-tailed it and ran when the Japanese invaded, and the liberation of the country was conducted mostly by Ho Chi Minh's guerilla fighters, with some US assistance. Then, upon the end of the war, the French expected to just walk straight back into Vietnam and continue ruling the country - and the US abandoned the people who'd actually won the war in Indochina and backed the French re-occupation on the grounds of solidarity in Europe.

If that's not bad enough, when things started to look dire at Dien Bien Phu, the French petitioned the US to use atomic bombs on Hanoi and the Vietnamese army, and Eisenhower actually agreed in principle. There's really nothing sticky here at all: it's about as clear cut as right and wrong can possibly get.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
I think there should be a lot more of this, games which portray historical events from a different perspective. As other posters have said, let's have a game in which you play as German or Japanese soldiers in WWII. It doesn't need to be all losses, either. The initial Axis aggression would be quite enjoyable game material.

However, I'm not so fond of military fps games in general these days. This game will probably be quite boring.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
new_age_reject said:
I hope the game is an enjoyable shooter. I don't expect it to be as flashy as the current gen of gaming but it will be good to see something from another point of view!
Sorry but your avatar messed with my head a bit there O.O it gave me the "Thats just not natural!" kind of feeling xD.

OT: I might get it, since its against the french, I must avenge all the snails and frogs they butcher!

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
That is pretty damn solid for 12 bucks. Even if it ends up being more from the look of things its going to be a great value. Different perspective than we are used to and on a budget? Sign me up, supporting a new studio doesn't hurt either.

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
Magefeanor said:
Finally! A game that doesn't involve us western people going around saving the world!

I'd very much like to play this game if it ever comes out in Europe.
My history senses are tingling!
100% Agreement here!

Maybe my 15 years of shooter abstience have finally come to an end...
Shooting French? Oh what a wonderful idea to reenact my shooter-experience.
I'm really hoping they are overly successful and make a sequel of *THE OTHER* Vietnam War.
I'm excited, for a shooter no less... Impressive... didn't remember how that felt...

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
Volf99 said:
teebeeohh said:
this is great, now make me a game where i am some poor japanese soldier in WW2 who is in possession of a bag of letters (just soldiers writing home) and tries to get this off the island before the whole thing gets bombed to kingdom come. Oh and have me shoot chinese civilians in a flashback. and at the end, when he dies the allied soldier find the letters, make fun of the symbols and decide to use them as toilet paper.

ok...
i got a little carried away there.
no, Germany should get a game first. Japan already has it too easy with how their viewed in regards to WW2.
how does Japan have it too easy? because they just put their fingers into their ears and go lalalalalalalala whenever WW2 comes up and get away with it?

but us Germans don't need a game, we already own every Strategy game set in WW2 because people everywhere agree that we did build the best weapons, now if only Hitler wasn't a total retard who possibly had Syphilis.