Review: Braid

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Review: Braid

How good is Braid? So good that we had to make up a few words just to describe it.

Read Full Article

oneplus999

Oct 4, 2007
Fortunately it should come out for PC at some point in 08, at least according to Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braid_(video_game)

ImStarKiller

Aug 21, 2008
I loved it but I makes me feel bad because the big game developers could take a lesson from this game and its creativeness but sadly they won't.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Tis an excellent game, need to finish it actually, I must have got distracted by something shiny.

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
I can't wait until the PC version comes out. I am a big fan of puzzle platformers (Karoshi 2.0 and Toki Tori are currently my favourites) and after all the extremely positive reviews... I'm excited.

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
sammyfreak post=6.69234.653667 said:
Braid is rated S for Sexcelent.
Ditto. Played only a short snippit last night, but I had a good time and I just dig the music and art.

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
Andraste post=6.69234.655715 said:
sammyfreak post=6.69234.653667 said:
Braid is rated S for Sexcelent.
Ditto. Played only a short snippit last night, but I had a good time and I just dig the music and art.
Will highly edited versions of old articles appear everywhere on the site in the near future? Trying to perfect the writing but creating an ideal impossible to uphold due to the limitations of perfection. ^^

Isaac Dodgson

The Mad Hatter
May 11, 2008
I've only played the demo, and that in itself was, well "Dracanublian" comes to mind.

I want more, I needs more the game is a pure gem and should not be missed. I'll grab it when I get the chance.

Shabubu

Jun 5, 2007
Is it really that short? I beat the game in about four hours, which, might be a slow run for some...and when I was done, the game felt done. The ending so thoroughly made the game 'done'.

I don't know how the puzzle pieces are optional, though...you can't beat the game and get the whole point of the game (ending) without every single piece of the puzzles...the rest of the game's ending is hidden behind gathering the ...other, things, you can gather (which is a guaranteed 2+ more hours). Or, perhaps I'm wrong, I _thought_ you had to get all the pieces...

Bionic Commando Rearmed, now that's a short game...

Juan Regular

Jun 3, 2008
I played the demo yesterday. It sucks that I have to drive 40 minutes from here to get MS Points, otherwise I'd buy it immediatly. Exactly my cup of tea.

The Anti Noob

May 27, 2008
freakin amazing i played the demo and i really can't wait until i get enough points to get the whole game

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Am playing it now. I love it, it does remind me of portal alot. But fuck me its fustrating. I've completed all the levels, but some of the jig-saw pieces are iving me trouble

Shabubu

Jun 5, 2007
SomeBritishDude post=6.69234.666981 said:
Am playing it now. I love it, it does remind me of portal alot. But fuck me its fustrating. I've completed all the levels, but some of the jig-saw pieces are iving me trouble
Are you able to see an ending without getting all the puzzle pieces?

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
i would just like to point out i do have good taste in game and love new and fun ideas, but...

to be fair i have only played the demo, and i dont see what other people are apparently seeing. Maybe i missed somethin but to me it seems kinda...well...meh
it seems like a free online flash game with a few different ideas (and there are many others like that) but with really REALLY fancy arty graphics.

so i dont see the hype, but please, show me the light...

P.S. Castle Crashers rules! :p now that IS a good game

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Yeah Ang, I don't know what to do to convince you bro. It seems that some people agree with me and absolutely adore Braid while some just don't. I don't think it would qualify as (good, useful) art if it was universally beloved anyway.

That said, I agree: Castle Crashers is amazing, but for entirely different reasons than Braid. CC is the purest, most refined iteration of classic arcade-style, instantly-gratifying beat-em-ups, while Braid is a synthesis of platforming, adventure gaming and some completely new storytelling elements that often border on pretension, but generally manage to, instead, instill a deep meaningfulness to the game's proceedings.

YukoValis

Aug 9, 2008
Shabubu said:
SomeBritishDude post=6.69234.666981 said:
Are you able to see an ending without getting all the puzzle pieces?
No you can't see the ending without them, nor can you see the hidden ending without collecting all 8 very VERY well hidden stars.

This game has by far the most original plot ever, including so many metaphors, and hidden messages that most people can never find on their own.