Skyrim Will Be Weird Like Morrowind

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Skyrim Will Be Weird Like Morrowind

Oblivion strayed away from Morrowind's weirdness in favor of the mundane, says Bethesda, and it wants to get back to the weird for Skyrim.

It's been years since I tried playing Morrowind, but I still remember the moment I saw my first silt strider. It was that moment that I first felt that this game's world had something to offer beyond stereotypical "high fantasy." Comparatively, Oblivion started you off in Standard Medieval City #47, and while many enjoyed it nonetheless, its levels of bizarritude were on the lower end of the scale.

Speaking with OXM UK [http://www.oxm.co.uk/26280/bethesda-oblivion-sacrificed-what-made-morrowind-special/], Bethesda boss Todd Howard said that the studio wanted Skyrim to return more to the sense of uniqueness that permeated the third game in the Elder Scrolls series:

"With Oblivion, we're dealing with the capital province, and we wanted to get back to the more classic Arena and Daggerfall feel of a fantasy world that felt more refined and welcoming. A place that you instantly understood. But in that, we sacrificed some of what made Morrowind special; the wonder of discovery."

It wouldn't be super-duper-totally weird, said Howard, but rather a balance of the two. "[Bethesda is] trying to bring some of that back and walk the line between Morrowind and Oblivion. Where it's at first familiar looking, but has its own unique culture and spin on it."

As long as the world has its own unique identity, I don't think anyone can really complain about it being a bit more accessible.

So ... is this a yes on the tentacle bear issue [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107723-Skyrim-Will-Feature-Tentacle-Bears-Maybe], Bethesda? Any fantasy land can have something mundane like a bear killing woolly mammoths, but a tentacle bear? That's something you just won't find anywhere! Well, maybe Japan.

(RPS [http://www.oxm.co.uk/26280/bethesda-oblivion-sacrificed-what-made-morrowind-special/])

binvjoh

Sep 27, 2010
Awesome!

Might make for some really interesting architecture and monster design.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Yet another good idea they've mentioned that I can't imagine Bethesda being able to mess up.
They're thinking like NERDS. Yay.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
It will at least be more interesting than the Generic Fantasy Land of Oblivion.
Those are two more points in its favor. Hopefully, the game will at least try to be compelling this time around (and crash a lot less).

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
I hope it's like the Shivering Isles, I loved how crazy that place was (also their method of capitol punishment was great).

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
I approve of this.
canadamus_prime said:
If I see ONE cliff racer Bethesda, someone over there is gonna be in for a world of hurt.
I also approve of this!

leredist theorem? WTF, captcha is giving me weird things today...

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I like weirdness, but I hate Morrowind's role-playing>convenience attitude.

So, Skyrim should be good.

Not a chance in hell that I'll like it better than Oblivion, since part of my love for Oblivion was linked to the level scaling.

But I'll like it a lot.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Nocta-Aeterna said:
I predict Giants and Jötunns
Well, they've already showed and talked about giants so it's not much of a prediction.

Personally, I'd like it if the Giants were sort of a primitive society. Kind of like the Ashlander tribes, just not so intelligent.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
While I loved Oblivion, I love that they're bringing in some of the wierd crap from Morrorwind. I never played Morrowind, but from what I've seen it gave me a slight touch of regret over going with a PS2 instead of an Xbox.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
This is excellent to hear.

I loved Morrowind's unique landscape and atmosphere but I do understand that it was too bizarre for some people. I think the province of Skyrim was a good choice in this regard, it should be easy to maintain a connection to more traditional Western fantasy while still providing a very unique landscape.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
I love the idea, but since we're talking about a game about vikings and dragons, I'll remain skeptical.

Nocta-Aeterna

Aug 3, 2009
Krantos said:
Nocta-Aeterna said:
I predict Giants and Jötunns
Well, they've already showed and talked about giants so it's not much of a prediction.

Personally, I'd like it if the Giants were sort of a primitive society. Kind of like the Ashlander tribes, just not so intelligent.
... Ah *ahem*.

Methinks the Giants will most likely be solitary wilderniss dwellers, with cave houses and the like. Perhaps occasionally gathering?

kane.malakos

Jan 7, 2011
I'm glad. Oblivion was fun, but really generic. Probably the coolest part of that game was the painted quest. Morrowind felt a lot more unique.

SendMeNoodz84

Jun 11, 2009
THERE IS NO TENTACLE BEAR.
The verdict isn't out on that! Someone at the Escapist just needs glasses...