RuneScape Dev Working On Transformers MMO

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
RuneScape Dev Working On Transformers MMO

The Autobots are getting ready to roll out in a new "action-packed" MMO.

Developer Jagex has hit on a fairly substantial gold mine with its free-to-play MMO RuneScape. Now, though, it sounds like the U.K.-based studio has an even more lucrative project in the works: a Transformers-based MMO.

The project was announced today by Jagex, revealing that the developer had worked out a deal with Hasbro to make the game. As a result, the MMO is expected to roll out to markets in North America, Europe, Latin America, New Zealand, and Australia in 2012. Jagex's CEO Mark Gerard is promising that the game will be "dynamic and action-packed", but he hasn't revealed if the game will be free-to-play or if it'll follow traditional payment models. It's also unclear what version of the Robots In Disguise we'll get to play as (I'm holding out hope that we'll get to play in the Beast Wars universe).

Asia, it turns out, will be receiving its own MMO based on the iconic franchise, but it will be developed by Chinese studio NetDragon. That game's supposedly going to launch at some point later this year.

Source: Joystiq

<a href=http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=transformers#/dzuj5b>Image Source

Telemachus

Dec 13, 2010
there is definitely potential to be Game of the Year here, and potentially de-throne WoW. But it's gonna have to be perfect. Cause WFC was a really good game i thought. But sonsidering it's Runescape people, it will most likely fail hardcore and be a transformers version of WoW.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Well my childhood has been rape not twice by 2 bad films but not 3 and hard by a MMO. Why does every series seem to have to have an MMO made for them

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
RabbiiFrystofsk said:
Please god let it be the Beast Wars universe, i loved the show and they were awesome.
One fault with that. the Beast Wars verse is set 10's of millions of years after the conflict between the Autobots and Decepticons ended, the Maximals(decendents of the Autobots) and Predicons(decendents of the Decepticons) are largely at peace. With the obvious exception of a few rouge Preds. Not good enough to base a MMO out of.

Now if its set in G1 times during the original War on Cybertron(The conflict lasted many, many, years before to the events of High Moon's War for Cybertron game) Then thats a a treasure trove of MMO action.

RabbiiFrystofsk

Oct 10, 2010
Primus1985 said:
RabbiiFrystofsk said:
Please god let it be the Beast Wars universe, i loved the show and they were awesome.
One fault with that. the Beast Wars verse is set 10's of millions of years after the conflict between the Autobots and Decepticons ended, the Maximals(decendents of the Autobots) and Predicons(decendents of the Decepticons) are largely at peace. With the obvious exception of a few rouge Preds. Not good enough to base a MMO out of.

Now if its set in G1 times during the original War on Cybertron(The conflict lasted many, many, years before to the events of High Moon's War for Cybertron game) Then thats a a treasure trove of MMO action.
I liked the Rat.

Ih8pkmn

Apr 20, 2010
Another cash-in mmo... wait- what's that? JAGEX is going to be developing it? JAGEX of all developers!?!

Well, that was unexpected. I just hope this doesn't interfere too badly with Runescape...

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Damnit, first The Old Republic, now this.

I'm going to end up paying for an MMO afterall, one way or another.

TeeBs

Oct 9, 2010
We already killed transformers, why don't we just piss on its dead body while were at it.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Nrrrrrrrrrrrgh, mixed feelings, my arch nemesis...

On one hand its going to put an end to all that fucking mechscape crap that been floating about on the RS forums scince 2001. It will alos see alot of post-release support if i still know Jagex.

On the other, Franchise Zombie [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FranchiseZombie].

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Oh dear....

To this day I honestly don't have the foggiest idea how I was able to pump hundreds of hours into that grinding horridity that was RuneScape... If its anything like that.... *shiver*