PAX East 2011: Pokemon TCG Expanding to Digital Realm for Free

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
PAX East 2011: Pokemon TCG Expanding to Digital Realm for Free

The real meat of the game for hardcore players will be the player vs. player component launching later in 2011. This mode will feature anything from one-on-one battles to scheduled events to larger tournaments generated on the fly that match players up by both skill and style.

To make it easier to jump into PvP, The Pokemon Company has implemented a seriously detailed Deck Wizard. If you don't want to mess with deck building, the game will feature pre-constructed decks built around a particular type of Pokemon and other simple factors. If you want to pick every single card that goes into your deck, you can do that too, and the Deck Wizard allows you to sort cards by every possible factor to make things easier. Some players will spend hours just messing with the Deck Wizard, guaranteed. Finch also told me that trading cards with friends (or foes) will be possible.

Playing a match of the game was very easy, even for a new player like myself, because Pokemon: TCGO guides you at every step along the way. If you're making a choice that might not be the most ideal, the game will double check to make sure that's what you want to do if you're a novice. The interface is very intuitive and battles even feature animations for attacks and other moves, such as jets of flame and water.

Like the creatures Pokemon: TCGO is centered around, Finch says the game will keep evolving after release with new features. A beta test phase is planned to launch the week of March 13-19 (this week) that anyone can play by signing up for the Pokemon Trainer Club here [http://www.pokemontcg.com/]. I never saw myself getting into the physical Pokemon TCG because of factors like cost and the challenge of finding other players, but Pokemon: TCGO eliminates those barriers. From what I was shown, hardcore players should also love it as an extension of their real world experience.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
battles even feature animations for attacks and other moves, such as jets of flame and water.
I'm sold! Seriously, the Pokémon TCG on GameBoy Color was incredibly fun, and I still play it on occasion. This is something I'll be very much interested in.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
new decks purchased in physical retail stores (released quarterly) can be scanned into the game, tying the real and digital worlds of the card game together and eliminating the necessity for consumers to pay for the content twice.
And in one stroke, it's a better business model (in my opinion) than Magic: Online.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Why does every TCG seem motivated to move expand onto an online application? I suppose one plus is that theres more people to play against. A clear downside is that the only people that will stay there are those who are good at it.

Odlus

Feb 2, 2011
gigastar said:
Why does every TCG seem motivated to move expand onto an online application? I suppose one plus is that theres more people to play against. A clear downside is that the only people that will stay there are those who are good at it.
The obvious answer is the one you just said, because there's more people. I know that in my area, at least, there aren't many people who sill play the game. If I were to start playing the game again just for kicks, I would most likely have a larger chance of winning online than I would going to a local hobby shop and playing against people who have been collecting cards for years.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Eh. Just give us a 3DS game like the old GBC game and include Wi-Fi matches. Then people can just put down $40 for the game and be done spending money.

mumakil

Apr 15, 2009
Sounds very cool i just wish they would allow buying virtual cards with virtual money because i cannot(and would not) buy real pokemon cards(and certainly not decks). The gameboy color game is one of my all time favourites(I just wish i remembered where the hell i placed it....). But yeah with just 3 decks without buying more real cards with real money it might get old fast.

Sep 14, 2009
Chapper said:
battles even feature animations for attacks and other moves, such as jets of flame and water.
I'm sold! Seriously, the Pokémon TCG on GameBoy Color was incredibly fun, and I still play it on occasion. This is something I'll be very much interested in.
this for sure, this will defnitely be a fun time crunch in boring moments at work and class when i don't have access to my heavier games.

night_chrono

Mar 13, 2008
So if I want new cards online I have to go buy the physical ones first? Pass. Main reason I dropped all TCG's was cost. So yea it would always give me someone to play with, but doesn't eliminate the main problem for me.

Also we need to hear more detail about how the scan in system will work. Will every card have a 10 digit number on it they we type in like Yu-gi-oh? Will theme decks have a one use CD key type deal? Whats to stop people from sharing keys to get the cards online? If I scan in a Teipig card will I only have one in my virtual collection or as many as I need? Whats to stop me from scanning the same card over and over?

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
So the three decks they give you are almost going to be crap so if you really want to compete, you'll have to buy more cards. This game is not free at all, just another micro-transaction game. I rather pay a small fee and get all the cards than micro-transactions. What about people who already have loads of old cards? They probably useless too as scanned cards will only work with newer generation cards.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
mumakil said:
The gameboy color game is one of my all time favourites(I just wish i remembered where the hell i placed it....).
My brother lost mine years ago on vacation, and I recently remembered that you can just get it on what definitely isn't an emulator. I've been playing it for the past few weeks now, and it's just as fun as I remember. In fact, I think I'll go play it right now.