Facebook "Likes" for Japanese Relief Offer Sparks Outrage

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Facebook "Likes" for Japanese Relief Offer Sparks Outrage

Mastiff Games is taking some heat for pledging to donate up to $25,000 to Red Cross relief efforts in Japan, but only if it receives enough "likes" on Facebook.

The situation in Japan is dire, to put it mildly, but the outpouring of international support for the country as it struggles to recover from an earthquake, tsunami and potential nuclear meltdown has been nothing short of inspiring. Remington Great American Bird Hunt [http://www.mastiff-games.com/], is responsible for one such initiative, but there's a catch and it's not sitting too well with a lot of gamers.

"I hope that you will join Mastiff and me personally in helping Japan's recovery," Mastiff CEO Bill Swartz wrote in an open letter [http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=198432740174274&topic=421] released yesterday. "In addition to the funds that Mastiff and I are personally contributing already, Mastiff pledges that for every 100 people who like us on Facebook between now and the end of April, Mastiff will donate $100 to the Red Cross for Japan relief, up to $25,000."

Unfortunately for Bill, much of the reaction on Mastiff's Facebook page and elsewhere hasn't been very like-like. Several comments have been strongly critical of Mastiff's efforts to exploit a great tragedy for cheap publicity and called on the company to pony up the full $25,000 with no strings attached. It had all the makings of a full-blown PR debacle, although cooler heads have since begun to prevail, at least to the point that the situation has downgraded from pure outrage to a debate over the relative effectiveness-slash-tastelessness of Mastiff's offer.

My take? It's a little cheesy at first glance, but Swartz's letter also provided links to the New York Times' Animal Rescue Kansai [http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/11/japan-earthquake-and-tsunami-how-to-help/]. The proposed money is also a "bonus" of sorts, to be made on top of donations already put forth by Mastiff and Swartz personally, and it's a way for gamers who can't otherwise throw any coin into the pot to help out with relief efforts.

It's pretty obvious to me that this is a legitimate effort to get more aid to Japan, but even if it really is a case of a small, niche publisher using the situation to grab some attention, so what? If the bottom line is that a little more help goes to Japan because of it, I'm quite happy to live with that. Alas, at this point it doesn't it will come to much either way; at last check, Swartz's letter had received only 39 likes.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
If Facebook had a dislike button, would they STEAL from the Red Cross if they got -100?

On topic:

This is a truly disgraceful publicity stunt. At least other companies have the gall to attempt to cover over the fact that it's merely a publicity stunt.

TJ Johnston

Apr 1, 2010
Doesn't seem to be going over all that well. Especially since they only have 550 likes on facebook at the moment. Yeesh.

Apr 28, 2008
Its not that different from when Bungie asked their fans to play Halo 3 with their icons changed to pink hearts to raise money to donate to Haiti. If I remember they said they'd donate up to $77,000. They hit their mark as well.

I think the outrage is pretty silly. Although this is the first time I've heard about it.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
I saw:

Pledge to donate $25000.

SMILE LOL

After "only if it receives likes".

WTF DUDE YOU ARE THE WORST SCUM EVER

Seriously, they will be charitable... IF they get something for it? That's not just dumb, it's just mind-boggling.

Kingsnake661

Dec 29, 2010
looks to be biting them in the @$$. I mean, from what i understand, they already have donated some to the red cross. This is like, another controbution, if they get enough likes. Eh. It's a bit... i don't know... tastless. They've already been chariable... this is extra, and they are hoping for some more exposure as a result...

IMO, it was just a bad idea. I don't think they've done anything WRONG per say, and they have given already, so, good for them, but, i'm not sure why, or who though this would be a good idea... *shrug*

Chase Yojimbo

The Samurai Sage
Sep 1, 2009
I can see how they could see it getting their name out there, but I can see how every other human on earth could see them as heartless bastard children who eat the souls of babies. Worst move the company could make ever. EDIT - well, not the worst, but still pretty stupid.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
If Facebook had a dislike button, would they STEAL from the Red Cross if they got -100?

On topic:

This is a truly disgraceful publicity stunt. At least other companies have the gall to attempt to cover over the fact that it's merely a publicity stunt.
I don't know, from the bottom half of the article, mastiff and the owner have both already donated money to the Red Cross. Say $250,000 don't have any money they can send to red cross, liking this status will still get $2,500 to Japan relief.

At first glance it is disgusting. But it's a nice-ish deal.

The letter should have been more transparent and forthcoming, stating:

"Mastiff and so-and-so are hoping all those who have suffered at the hands of then Earthquake and Tsunami in japan recover swiftly. (or something along those lines. Mastiff is happy to have pledged $X.XX to the relief of those suffering under this incident. We understand that not everyone has the capital on and to help, despite that we may want to. As such for every like this letter gets, we will pledge $2 to the relief of Japan, and if dedication to the cause is shown to be high enough, we will pledge $25,000 on your behalf"

Might have gone over better

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
That's not charity, that's fucking leverage. That outrage is totally justified. If they wanted to be charitable, they should've just donated the fucking money to begin with.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Hmmm. On one hand, I do see where the hate is coming from. But if they HAVE already donated and this is just a bonus, I could understand it in one case. Case being that Facebook likes = free marketing, which lets them give money to Japan and say "it would've gone on marketing otherwise". And say what you want, fact is, money doesn't grow on trees, if you need to do the Facebook likes to divert money from one place to another (and thereby give your fans a chance to help with that too), I'd say that's a pretty good idea.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I think instead of this, they should do something where they donate money equal to likes they get. So... say maybe $100 per like.

what they're doing now is just making a poor image for themselves.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
One more example of charity being used to hostage human lives.

"Oh, sure, we have the power to help. But you scratch my back, i'll scratch yours... maybe."

Been said before, but a terrible publicity stunt. But this isn't the worst to come out of Facebook about the crisis in Japan. I've heard there's supposedly a bunch of comments and likes out there for people stating that the earthquake and nuclear reactor explosions are "God's way of punishing Japan for Pearl Harbour". My rage for statements like that makes my disgust for stunts like this rather insignificant.

forsinain42

Oct 14, 2009
https://twitter.com/#!/bing/status/46597693585358848

Microsoft Did it too. Free advertising and re-tweets on a horrible disaster. Why is nobody shooting them for this?

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Magenera said:
Isn't this standard PR. I swear other companies do this all the damn time. I can't even watch a damn add with someone putting up buy this and a donation will go to X.
That is a different situation. Donating part of your profits to charity is a good thing, and would depend on sales.
This. This is different. They obviously have the money available, and are looking to get a bit of publicity off of this. They aren't earning money from people "liking" it. There's no reason they couldn't donate the $25000 straight out, or rather there's no reason they'd need people "liking" (and so knowing about) their donation efforts before they donate more...
I'm not outraged at this, but I am severely disappointed. I never bother with these kinds of things because almost always they're lying, or they just want the attention. If you really wanna make a difference, donate without making a huge fuss about it.

dough

Dec 17, 2008
I honestly hope that they will donate the $25,000 regardless of whether they hit their target or not, but in any case I will "like" them - it's a small thing to do to help ensure more money is going to relief funds.

Maybe hardcore facebook users that actually care what they are seen as "liking" will find some reason to pause, but that isn't me.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Oh the outrage!!!!

So, if they get more likes on facebook, it will probably increase their revenues in some way. God forbid. You say you like and they pledge a dollar to the cause. What's the big deal.

"Oh no, they are profiteering off of a tragedy."
Believe it or not my ignorant friends, someone makes profits off of every single tragedy.

They are at least honest about it. And all that bull about how they should just do it for nothing, why? They could not give any money at all. Maybe we should take down your house and donate the wood to the efforts in Japan. Just because you complained about this.

All that building around the "ground zero" area, no one is doing that for free. All the rebuilding in Hiroshima and Nagasaki after the bombs were dropped, that the US government had to pay for... They were paying some company to do it, and you better believe those companies were making profits off of it. All the rebuilding in Iraq that America is helping pay for, they are paying companies who are turning a profit off of it.

If you are so outraged, shut up and don't say you like Mastiff. If you have three brain cells and want to help in the littlest way possible, just to feel good about yourself, say you like the company. But don't sit there and dictate how someone is or is not allowed to contribute to the effort, even if they are going to somehow make a profit off of it.

And on top of all of that, they have already donated for nothing, just to help.

My final thoughts on this are: "Oh the OUTRAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
I agree with the above.

I heard clicking "like" on Facebook is a tremendous amount to ask for a donation. It's not like they're making you buy their games to get a donation. I'm not saying this is the best way to go about this, but outrage is hardly justified. Maybe mild dislike.

Seriously, Blizzard does the same crap with their in-game pets and people praise them. "Buy this panda for 25 and 50% goes to help X". The only reason people don't complain is because they are getting something in return.