One Fifth Of Britons Think Lightsabers Are Real

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
One Fifth Of Britons Think Lightsabers Are Real

According to a new survey, over a fifth of U.K. citizens have trouble separating science fiction from reality.

We all have one or two science fiction devices that we wish were real, like phasers or holodecks, but it's been assumed that most people know they aren't real. However, Birmingham Science City recently ran a survey "to see how blurred the lines between science fact and fiction have become." Over three thousand Britons took part. Now, the results are up for folks to read about on the Web. From the sound of things, the lines are pretty dang blurry.

The survey found that "over a fifth" of British citizen believe that lightsabers are real. Twenty four percent said they believe people can be teleported. Forty percent claim that hoverboards exist, while nearly half of respondents believe "memory-erasing technology exists." Perhaps the weirdest result, though, is that "nearly one-fifth (18%) of adults have the incorrect view that they can see gravity". Seriously, WTF does that mean?

Meanwhile, the survey revealed that people don't know much about recent scientific advances, including how scientists are working on growing organs in labs, that brain waves can be read and used to control various devices, and how sound vibrations can be detected and used in astronomical studies.

I can understand some of these responses; after all, a fair amount of stuff mentioned in the survey isn't exactly common knowledge. But, really, lightsabers? Hoverboards? Being able to see gravity? Sounds like some people need to be force-pushed back into the classroom.

See how your scientific knowledge holds up and take the survey here.

Source: Birmingham Science City via <a href=http://io9.com/#!5782427/one-in-five-british-people-believe-lightsabers-are-real-++-and-half-believe-science-can-erase-your-memories>io9

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
Wha!? Seriously? I really hope most of those people were trolling. Birmingham gets a bit of a bad rep but this doesn't help it much either.

silversnake4133

Mar 14, 2010
I don't think they need to be forced back into the classroom per se. But they could be videotaped for the lulz either way. :D

PayneTrayne

Filled with ReLRRgious fervor.
Dec 17, 2009
1/5 Britons are also known trolls.

But seriously, they could just be Jedi by religion. Confused by the laser that came out last year labelled as a lightsaber, or simply want one so bad that they wish it into existence.

Jul 22, 2009
It's a completely open survey...

I don't think we need Sherlock Holmes to realise this is a number of people playing a joke.

I once answered an entire survey about Christmas while very drunk because I wanted the free Christmas hat they were offering to participants.

In fact I'm going to join them!

'Can stars sing?' *Yes*

EDIT: I am from Birmingham ¬.¬ It's a rather habitable place I think you'll find.

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
you do realise people in the U.K don't take shit like that seriously? If you believe it i'm astonished. X_X

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
Oh, take that Brits. Who looks foolish now? I might link this every time someone makes another "dumb American" joke. :p

Yhea, my fellow Americans may not be able to find their own state on a map half the time but at least we can't see gravity! HA! That......sounded better in my head.....

Bassman_2

Feb 9, 2009
"forced" back into classrooms....
I see something there, I doubt that was on purpose though.

JoshGod

Aug 31, 2009
Sounds like the British be trolling, either that or its the OP. Most British would not take these surveys seriously.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
I blame the fact that these tests were conducted in Birmingham.
This worries me though, although I have to wonder if the surveyers chose a specific sort of person.

Rhaff

Jan 30, 2011
GamesB2 said:
It's a completely open survey...

I don't think we need Sherlock Holmes to realise this is a number of people playing a joke.

In fact I'm going to join them!

'Can stars sing?' *Yes*
Actually they can...

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Internet surveys are not really to be trusted no matter how does them because there are always dimwits who think it's funny to cock-up the results.

Flig

Nov 24, 2009
Based on the five questions from the link, the questions can be misleading. "Can stars sing?" How many of you would've answered yes to this question? It's best if you don't anthropomorphise inanimate objects for a scientific survey.

herr.Didi

Apr 17, 2009
Pf, that's nothing. In my country almost 50% of people think that Earth is in the center of the Universe! Medieval times....

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Most people here ARE stupid.
They just aren't THAT stupid.

I call mismanaged survey, even if Anon probably did have a hand in the results.