Mac Gamers Get SecuROM

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Mac Gamers Get SecuROM

Mac owners will doubtless be thrilled to learn that games ported to the system through SecuROM [http://www.transgaming.com/products/cider/] anti-piracy software.

"We are pleased to ensure the protection of Ciderized games through Sony DADC's SecuROM," said Vikas Gupta, president and CEO of TransGaming [http://www.transgaming.com], the company behind Cider. "Our ability to offer Sony DADC's security solution is imparting substantial comfort to our publishers and developers interested in the Mac gaming market and demonstrates a clear advantage as to why Cider is the leading solution for Mac games enablement."

Cider is a software "wrapper" designed to allow games developed for Windows to be easily ported to CCP Games [http://www.apple.com/macosx/] as they expand their catalogs to offer better support for Mac users.

"Sony DADC is the first digital rights management provider to apply product activation security in cooperation with TransGaming's portability technology for the Mac," said Sony DADC SecuROM Product Manager Stefan Tschapeck. "TransGaming's Cider portability technology provides the use of our SecuROM Product Activation for all Ciderized Mac games, whether sold online via digital download or through traditional retail channels."

So congratulations, Mac gamers, and on behalf of PC owners everywhere, let me assure you that we are in no way looking forward to your wailing and gnashing of teeth as the full implications of Mac gaming going mainstream slowly dawn upon you. No way at all.

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
SecuROM seems like a weak DRM to use. It's been hacked/cracked ages ago and every new version is cracked within hours/days. Seems like a waste of money, putting DRM in when it has nearly no effect.

Ah well, as long as it isn't StarForce i don't mind it.

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
There are Mac gamers? Wow. I guess there's a platform that it would actually be possible for the average guy to actually own every game in existence without having to break the bank. Though, buying Macs themselves tend to do that all by themselves.

Seriously though, well done Sony, strangling an emerging market before it's even out of the womb to make it less likely that you're own over-priced brick doesn't get another competitor. Hades knows Sony is losing enough money because of it. I bet those dupes at Cider haven't a clue.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Everyone outside Sony: "AAAARGH, IDIOTS!"
Everyone inside Sony: "High five!"

Not to mention any Mac gamer (the few that exist): "WHY, GOD, WHYYY!??! DAAAAMN YOOOOUUU!!!"

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
What a bunch of f'in morons. Sorry, Mac gamers (there are Mac gamers?), looks like you get to join us in dealing with the hooting ass-monkeys that run the gaming industry today. Congratulations, you're now mainstream. Poor bastards.

rob_d

Jul 20, 2008
A direct result of this step is of course that pirating games on the mac will explode exponentially.

You can try contacting the company to see if you can change their minds:
http://www.transgaming.com/contact/

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Perfect choice of corner graphic.

Now excuse me while some pirate gets the game I bought for free and installs it on many computers, while I call EA [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/stolen-pixels/5137-Stolen-PIxels-12-The-Economics-Lesson] because apparently, limiting installs = piracy prevention.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
Haha, oh SecuRom. What do they think they are going to accomplish with this? Every time they bring out a new SecuRom it gets cracked, and a Mac version will be no different.

I guess it means Macs are finally reaching mainstream (I personally don't like em, but whatever), and they can never stop the rush of hacking groups. So let them, I guess. Maybe they'll go bankrupt trying to port it, or realize no matter the OS their DRM software sucks.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
sunami88 post=7.69326.658821 said:
Haha, oh SecuRom. What do they think they are going to accomplish with this? Every time they bring out a new SecuRom it gets cracked, and a Mac version will be no different.
See is that really a reason to stop trying though? Imean, I don't like SecuROM but if someone out there is trying to crack my software, I'm gonna try to make one they can't crack.

Isaac Dodgson

The Mad Hatter
May 11, 2008
"WHY, GOD, WHYYY!??! DAAAAMN YOOOOUUU!!!"

...Not really a mac gamer, but then again if you are a mac gamer you aren't in the same sense. A Catch 22 if you will. Anyway, this isn't helping us very much.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
As a mac owner, I'd just like to point out that most of us buy our macs with no intention of playing games on them. Because, well, they're macs, they're not for playing games! Everybody knows that!
Although I will be getting Spore, for obvious reasons.

VeNT666

Dec 3, 2007
err
one thing
CCP Games (eve-online)
since when did it use SecuROM? it's subscription based! why the hell would they care about copy protection?

fyrh56

Apr 2, 2008
VeNT666 post=7.69326.660562 said:
err
one thing
CCP Games (eve-online)
since when did it use SecuROM? it's subscription based! why the hell would they care about copy protection?
There are private Eve online servers.

McMo0^

Dec 21, 2007
lol, poor little buggers. You can also guarentee it'll cause a damn sight more problems on the mac than it already does on the pc...

VeNT666

Dec 3, 2007
fyrh56 post=7.69326.660932 said:
VeNT666 post=7.69326.660562 said:
err
one thing
CCP Games (eve-online)
There are private Eve online servers.
err, since when?

Nugoo

Jan 25, 2008
My God! This is the worst thing to happen to Mac gaming since Mac gaming!

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
Eagle Est1986 post=7.69326.660311 said:
As a mac owner, I'd just like to point out that most of us buy our macs with no intention of playing games on them. Because, well, they're macs, they're not for playing games! Everybody knows that!
what can a mac do really that a pc can't do better? :p

and isn't photoshop a game for the mac? :)

i've never been a fan of transgaming, they ripped off wine, due to a licensing loophole and are making money off it and promised to give back to the community but have totally renegged on the deal

i just wish they'd stop with the drm, it only harms the honest ppl. when they pirate the game, they strip out the drm from it