Valve Says Ad Agencies Are "Worthless," Going it Alone for Portal 2

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Valve Says Ad Agencies Are "Worthless," Going it Alone for Portal 2

Advertising agencies just slow Valve down and get in the way of making a good ad.

Doug Lombardi, head of marketing for beloved developer Valve, says that advertising agencies are all but worthless when it comes to marketing games, or indeed, pretty much anything else. Lombardi says that Valve was tired of bad ideas from so-called creative agencies, and so for Portal 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Portal-2-Playstation-3/dp/B003O6E3C8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300357905&sr=8-1] decided that it would make the TV ad itself.

Lombardi said that he had had many meetings with advertising agencies in the past, and said that all too often, the treatments they'd come up with were clichéd, or copied other ad campaigns almost note for note. In some cases, he said, he'd even seen pitches where the agency clearly hadn't even been listening in the original meeting. He felt that the best people to try to sell a product were the people who'd made it, which is why Valve had ditched agencies for Portal 2.

Aside from not having to deal with the agencies themselves, striking out alone had other advantages, Lombardi said. Chief amongst them was that Valve could be a lot more responsive doing things by itself compared to going through an agency. Valve had been able to make changes to the ad during production as it playtested it. With an agency, there usually wasn't time for that kind of test, and so the feedback ended up as near-useless notes after the fact, rather than being put to use making the ad better.

It will be interesting to see Valve's TV spot, not only because it will be the first time that a lot of potential players become aware of the game, but also because it will be fascinating to see Valve's creativity used in a different way.

Portal 2 comes out for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 on April 19th.

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/43536/Valve-Ad-agencies-almost-worthless?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mcvuk%2FoXMK+%28MCV%3A+games+industry+news%29]

Calico93

Jul 31, 2010
Good.
High five to Valve !

Really hope the PS3 version isnt as unplayable as the first Portal.

Aedrial

Jun 24, 2009
I must say, Valve do make a good Ad. Good to see a company cutting costs by not laying off workers.

valkeminator

404Th Ravens. No.04
Nov 19, 2009
I suppose they will make good ads, lets hope they do :). Although Meet the team vids may classify as a trailer, I felt it is a form of advertisement as well, so maybe they do have it in them.

TheDist

Mar 29, 2010
I think it's a good plan, the less people who are in the mix the better I think when it comes to things like that. I also think valve have more of a clue about the target market for the game.

Will indeed be interesting to see how it works out for them.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
That's the best way to go!

There are only a few decent advertising executives, after all.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_DH86klXPZ_k/S_sgFbocPzI/AAAAAAAABaQ/08MqENUylZs/s1600/cary-grant-eva-marie-saint-in-north-by-northwest-photograph-c11797981.jpg

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
Calico93 said:
Good.
High five to Valve !

Really hope the PS3 version isnt as unplayable as the first Portal.
ps3 is getting the best version

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
I hope this works out for them.
If only because of my burning and probably somewhat unhealthy hatred for Ad agencies.
"I´m going to LIE to people as a job when I grow up! Weeee."

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
Why would a game need to go through an Ad Agency to begin with? Unless of course they're just trying to hide how bad the game is to begin with. (i.e. hiding game flaws behind non-relivant dribble like how your mother might not enjoy the game.)

Deathlyphil

Mar 6, 2008
New Troll said:
Why would a game need to go through an Ad Agency to begin with? Unless of course they're just trying to hide how bad the game is to begin with. (i.e. hiding game flaws behind non-relivant dribble like how your mother might not enjoy the game.)
Because that's how it's done. That's how it's always been done, and therefore that is the best way to do it!

/sarcasm.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
While it's entirely true that ad agencies are terrible at promoting games (looking at EA's marketing division), the first thing that came to mind when I heard this was that Valve didn't want the agency inadvertently spilling any beans with their work, this train of thought (combined with my admittedly waning interest and hope for Episode 3) led me to believe that some sort of compilation pack, the so-called 'Blue Box' will be how Portal 2 is delivered (if they bother to deliver it outside of Steam o' course).

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Well of course an ad department would be worthless to Valve, they have a horde of worshipers.

Feb 13, 2008
This should be interesting: Meet The GLADos.

If it does succeed though, there's gonna be a lot of super-pissed ad-men. Which is never a bad thing :)

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
As long as they stay as far away from EA as they can. Hopefully we'll get an awesome song with the trailer! I hope you'll be quick to post it here since it may take a while before it airs in Sweden. I'm sure Valve will make a great trailer, they know their game better than anyone, and they may even put freeman in there (he will be in portal 2, damn it!).

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
No ad agency for Valve? If their ad is even half as good as the Team Fortress 2 Meet the Team videos, they're going to be raking in the cash this year.

Feb 9, 2011
Roxor said:
No ad agency for Valve? If their ad is even half as good as the Team Fortress 2 Meet the Team videos, they're going to be raking in the cash this year.
Hah, I was just re-watching those a few minutes ago. Love them. I say go for it, Valve. Your creativity has always been top notch.

Kellerb

Jan 20, 2009
I love it when a plan comes together/ goes against traditional social norms and political corectness becuase they are superior and advertising agencies suck. :)

TheMann

Jul 13, 2010
The Valentine's Day ad was pure gold. I'd say Valve can market themselves pretty damn well.