Move Probably Won't Replace DualShock for PS4, Says Sony Designer

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Move Probably Won't Replace DualShock for PS4, Says Sony Designer

Both types of controller have their place, says Sony's research and development head.

Motion controls might be rather popular at the moment, but the head of R&D for SCE America, Dr. Richard Marks, doesn't think that the regular controller is going anywhere just yet. Marks was one of the principle designers behind Sony's Move controller, and was the originator of the EyeToy.

Marks said that Sony's goal had never been to replace control pads with the PlayStation Move. Instead, the idea was to give people more ways to play, and bring gaming to those who might find a traditional controller "intimidating." He said the gamepad a good "abstract" device that developers could use for a wide range of gameplay experiences. He added that it didn't make any sense for Sony to ditch controllers in favor of motion controls, because it could do things that a motion controller couldn't, and vice versa.

Unlike some other Sony designers [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105645-Trash-Talking-Sony-Engineer-Blasts-Kinect-Lightsaber-Game], he also had positive things to say about Kinect. While he made it clear that he thought that the device only allowed for a fairly narrow range of experiences, he praised Microsoft for continuing to innovate on camera technology. He also said that he was pleasantly surprised by the microphone on Kinect, and while it was still a little stiff, it worked a lot better than he was expecting.

While Marks isn't confirming that the PS4 will have regular controllers, he's right when he says that dumping them for motion controls doesn't make any sense. There are literally millions of core gamers who like controllers just fine, and it's hard to see Sony snubbing that audience. What's much more likely is that it will try to grow both the core and casual audience side by side with some deft marketing, and a console that can offer as wide a range of experiences as possible.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6307/meet_the_man_behind_the_move.php?page=2]

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
we already have a wii, we don't need another. keep standard controllers, i am not a fan of this motion controlled craze.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
"Probably won't" means there is a chance. If it does they won't be getting my money.

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
Good to know.
Sony's controller is one of the best, if not the best, controller that feel really natural on my hands. It's like it was made specially for them.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
It's strange hearing someone from Sony or Microsoft being reasonable when talking about eachother's console.

I don't really want Move, but if it's making Sony money and it doesn't affect games that I want then I'm not really bothered.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
I fully expect the PS4 (and the next Xbox, and the next Nintendo console) to be mainly motion-controlled, a la Move (not SixAxis).

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
I don't see the problem with utilising the strengths of each controller. Having the ability to use both when creating a game allows you a wider array of choices to make in design.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
There is a possibility that it will be a combo of both. A controller that can be used as a move controller. They're already halfway there with that damn six-axis. Hopefully they won't be that stupid, a PS3 controller is already expensive enough.

fabiosooner

Sep 3, 2010
GiantRaven said:
I don't see the problem with utilising the strengths of each controller. Having the ability to use both when creating a game allows you a wider array of choices to make in design.
This.

Making the motion controller the main one made sense for the Wii for a number of reasons, including the potential to bring older gamers back to the 'scene' with all the Virtual Console stuff and the fact that you can use the Wii Remote sideways as a glorified NES controller.

This doesn't mean the same move (see what I did there? :p) would work for other consoles - not because they're 'only for core gamers' (no console really is that limited or it would flop miserably), but because certain experiences are more suited to one or other type of controller. It's true for PC games - some are better played with the keyboard - and it is no different with motion or traditional gamepads.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
008Zulu said:
They lost faith in their motion controller pretty quickly didnt they?
Not quickly enough. It came out.

>.>

I kid. Honestly, as an alternate input scheme, I have no trouble with it. As a primary input? Meh.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Instead, the idea was to give people more ways to play, and bring gaming to those who might find a traditional controller "intimidating."

In other words, "when we saw that the Wii could make such a big hit with Motion Control we just had to get in on that."

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
So we're already talking about the PS4 with the company? I'd say in four years we'll have a new console :p

Nah seriously speaking, it would be silly to just do another WII, and Sony knows it. We'll end up with a mix of motion and regular controlled games in the future, obviously.

Malyc

Bullets... they don't affect me.
Feb 17, 2010
Motion controls are overrated. If given the choice between a ps3 controller, and the entire wii system, i'd take the controller, mainly because i need another one to make 4 XD.

Omnipro

Ha Ha I Have A Custom Title
Jul 15, 2008
The PS4 controller should be like the PS3 DS3 controller but with a touch panel underneath like the NGP.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
While motion controllers can be awesome, we should avoid making another system that only uses that. You would only come off as trying to emulate your more successful competitor (read: not better).

There are two types of great games on the Wii. The first are ones that use motion controllers really well and in fun ways. These would be your Metroid Primes and Red Steel 2's. Also, Zelda's and Mario's. The other kind are ones that know motion controls are not always the right way to go and give you, at very least, the option to not use them. There are actually a bunch like this, but Tatsunoko vs Capcom comes immediately to mind.

Though, judging from Yahtzee's review of Killzone 3, they have a little ways to go anyway.

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
Move has been a utter waste of time anyways. After the shovelware and sports games first brought out the only other ones that used it was Heavy Rain, Resident Evil 5 and R.U.S.E.

They said LBP2 and Toy Story 3 were to use them but looks like it was dropped (unless they patched LBP2? I gave up with it.)