Kinect Hack Becomes GPS for the Blind

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Kinect Hack Becomes GPS for the Blind

Microsoft's Kinect has been turned into an indoor navigation system for those with impaired eyesight.

It's great that eyes of a robot [http://www.amazon.com/Kinect-Sensor-Adventures-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA298/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300474797&sr=8-1], but what about using it to help actual humans? A student project at Universität Konstanz in Germany called NAVI (Navigational Aids for the Visually Impaired) attaches Kinect to a helmet and uses its abilities in tandem with other devices to help the visually impaired better navigate indoor environments.

Some of the current "technologies" that the blind use to get around are the cane method and the seeing-eye dog. They obviously work to some degree, but the cane method has a limited range while dogs must be trained and taken care of properly. NAVI doesn't need to be fed, but in its current state does require the user to carry around a computer in a special backpack (keep in mind, it's a work in progress).

On the positive side, NAVI basically works like a GPS for the visually impaired. Using depth information from the Kinect camera, a belt with three vibration motors on the left, center, and right lets the wearer get a general impression of a room or hallway. The addition of QR codes [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QR_code] placed around an environment enables NAVI to give voice instructions as the codes are read by the camera.

The instructions will tell wearers to "Turn Right" or that there's a "Door Ahead." It's might not be the ultimate navigation tool just yet, but NAVI could take some stress off the minds of the visually impaired while in complicated indoor environments, as long as it doesn't freeze or bug out.

Source: SlashGear [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6QY-eb6NoQ]

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
As long as NAVI doens't work like Navi...

"HEY! HEY! HEY! Turn right please... LISTEN! WATCH OUT! Take your next available left. HELLO?!"

No but seriously, AWESOME!

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Celtic_Kerr said:

"HEY! HEY! HEY! Turn right please... LISTEN! WATCH OUT! Take your next available left. HELLO?!"

Oh god. I didn't realize until now. That's what you get when nerds that grew up with videogames invent stuff I guess.

OT: Cool invention. Is there anything the Kinect can't do?

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Wow. That's fairly impressive. It's a bit clunky, but for a prototype, it seems like it could be very helpful.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Jonluw said:
Celtic_Kerr said:

Oh god. I didn't realize until now. That's what you get when nerds that grew up with videogames invent stuff I guess.

OT: Cool invention. Is there anything the Kinect can't do?
Seems like it can't play games, we never hear about that :3

OT: Pretty cool, natal really is more useful as something else then motion controller atm though xD

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Celtic_Kerr said:

Hehe, that was the first thing that came to my mind when I read the name NAVI.
And, incidentially, it's quite fitting too.

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
Gotta love technology. Some people use it to help the blind, some people use it to make boob-touching simulators.

Glad to see it being used productively, anyway.

Theesacpee90

Dec 14, 2010
Ok this is just silly! I use motion control gaming devices for....yep, you guessed it, GAMING! I prefer the Move over the kinect too.

iDoom46

Dec 31, 2010
Does Microsoft know they're practically sitting on a gold mine, here? Just look at all the cool stuff moders have been able to do with the thing, and it hasn't even been out for a year yet!

I know its not like Microsoft is really hurting for cash, but its pretty stupid to not capitalize on the potential of your hardware before someone else makes a knock off. I'm no Apple fan, but I bet that if they made the Kinect there'd already be twice as many games for it by now because Apple knows how to embrace community and indie creativity.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
iDoom46 said:
Does Microsoft know they're practically sitting on a gold mine, here? Just look at all the cool stuff moders have been able to do with the thing, and it hasn't even been out for a year yet!

I know its not like Microsoft is really hurting for cash, but its pretty stupid to not capitalize on the potential of your hardware before someone else makes a knock off. I'm no Apple fan, but I bet that if they made the Kinect there'd already be twice as many games for it by now because Apple knows how to embrace community and indie creativity.
Well, as long as they leave Kinect as an open platform, MS isn't really getting in the way of the independents (as we've seen). They just made a very interesting device with the intention that people would be playing games with it, and it turns out that, with a little ingenuity, it can be adapted to a lot of useful applications as well.

The dumbest thing MS could do now is to stop making the Kinect because it didn't succeed in its original capacity.

MintyNinja

Sep 17, 2009
As a prototype, showing what the technology is capable of, it's amazing. I'm sure that if it were to be mass produced they would find a way to streamline it so that most of the computer parts could fit in a pocket. As for the Kinect on his head, wasn't there virtual reality goggles made with the Kinect? Could they not make the classic dark glasses look actually functional? Just ideas.

Also, I thought of Navi the moment I saw the name. It's perfect!

Tuqui

Mar 2, 2011
I'm sure a code reading can be added making the NAVI read tags on objects and help the person know what it is, maybe even read things as code bars or recognize the object.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
WaaghPowa said:
FogHornG36 said:
WaaghPowa said:
This is cool, but it looks incredibly stupid with the kinect on his head.
Yes, im sure the biggest concern of the blind his how they look.
May not be the biggest, but you'd be surprised.
I know, i can just see then at home looking in the mirror to check and see how they look... oh wait

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
FogHornG36 said:
WaaghPowa said:
FogHornG36 said:
WaaghPowa said:
I know, i can just see then at home looking in the mirror to check and see how they look... oh wait
Didn't you know that your other senses are heightened when you lose your sight? Maybe they can feel how the look!

If you're still taking this seriously after all this, I pity you.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
WaaghPowa said:
FogHornG36 said:
WaaghPowa said:
FogHornG36 said:
WaaghPowa said:
Didn't you know that your other senses are heightened when you lose your sight? Maybe they can feel how the look!

If you're still taking this seriously after all this, I pity you.
There is an app for that