"Professor Splash" Sets Shallow-Diving World Record

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
"Professor Splash" Sets Shallow-Diving World Record

"I paid my four bits to see the high-divin' act, and I'm a-gonna see the high-divin' act!"

Darren Taylor, a "shallow diver" from the U.S. who also goes by the name "Professor Splash," recently set a new world record by swan-diving 36 feet into a pool filled with just 12 inches of water. For some reason, the Professor decided to set the record in the icy outdoors of Trondheim, Norway; perhaps the freezing cold helps numb the pain of going gut-first into a foot of water from three stories up.

Whatever the reason, the record Taylor eclipsed was his own. He's actually made 13 Guinness-certified dives in his 25 years of high-diving experience. "The real big trick with this dive is to land flat, try to get as much water out of this pool as I can," he explained. "I want to dissipate as much water as I can for a cushion effect."

I guess it's mission accomplished, since he didn't die or suffer any obvious grievous injuries, but man, that splatting sound is going to stay with me forever.

Source: BBC [http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12773427]

Muco5681

Apr 2, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Professor Splash Sets Shallow-Diving World Record

"I paid my four bits to see the high-divin' act, and I'm a-gonna see the high-divin' act!"

Darren Taylor, a "shallow diver" from the U.S. who also goes by the name "Professor Splash," recently set a new world record by swan-diving 36 feet into a pool filled with just 12 inches of water. For some reason, the Professor decided to set the record in the icy outdoors of Trondheim, Norway; perhaps the freezing cold helps numb the pain of going gut-first into a foot of water from three stories up.

Whatever the reason, the record Taylor eclipsed was his own. He's actually made 13 Guinness-certified dives in his 25 years of high-diving experience. "The real big trick with this dive is to land flat, try to get as much water out of this pool as I can," he explained. "I want to dissipate as much water as I can for a cushion effect."

I guess it's mission accomplished, since he didn't die or suffer any obvious grievous injuries, but man, that splatting sound is going to stay with me forever.

Source: BBC [http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12773427]

the reason he dive into water at a cold day is the molecules in the water become closer and thus thicker so the water is better at absorbing...at least that is what they told me on discovery science ^^

Aug 25, 2009
Bet that wakes you up in the morning. Ouch.

Congratulations to him, I'm sure the field of jumping from high places into small pools of water is very competitive.

Also, what exactly are the criteria for beating the record? Does he just have to not injure himself or something? Because otherwise theoretically throwing yourself off a forty story building into a puddle is breaking the record.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
For his next jump, I expect him to jump into a glass of water without breaking it. Its the only way he can outdo himself.

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
that splatting sound is going to stay with me forever.
You and me both...you and me both. I think thats brilliantly cool sure but also I just kinda said "HOLY SHIT" as soon as I saw it happen. It looked terrifying...must be said.

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
I... Wow.

The highest dive I ever took was 7.5 metres (22 feet) into a deep pool. Even so, it gave me a massive wedgie because I was only slightly misaligned.

Professor Splash has an odd-shaped body that seems to be conducive to this sport. He's not fat, but his torso is really wide to absorb impact. Did he train to get that body shape?