Large Hadron Collider Could Be World's First Time Machine

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Large Hadron Collider Could Be World's First Time Machine

Zip up that bubble jacket and get your hoverboard ready: The world's first time machine might already be in operation.

A new theory from physics experts Tom Weiler and Chui Man Ho of Vanderbilt University says that the Large Hadron Collider, the biggest atom smasher in the world, could also be a time machine. If the LHC is able to discover the elusive Higgs boson particle, which supposedly determines how objects acquire mass, the theory predicts that it'll also discover a time-traveling particle called the Higgs singlet.

The Higgs singlet might be able to travel forward and backward through time by jumping to a 5th dimension. Sadly, even with the LHC humans probably won't be able to travel to the past or future along with the Higgs singlet, but Weiler says we could potentially send messages.

A Vanderbilt press release says that if researchers monitoring the LHC discover Higgs singlet particles that appear simultaneously with their decay products, Weiler and Ho believe that they "will have been produced by particles that travel back in time to appear before the collisions that produced them." This becomes possible because while the basic elements of the universe are stuck to a theoretical four-dimensional membrane called the "bulk," and therefore cannot travel to other dimensions, particles like the Higgs singlet are not.

Weiler describes the theory as a "long shot," but believes it's possible because it doesn't violate any laws of physics and "avoids all the big paradoxes." While humanity may never get an actual time machine, just having a time "mailbox" might not be so bad, as long as we can keep it free of spam.

Source: Vanderbilt U [http://news.vanderbilt.edu/2011/03/hadron-collider-time-machine/]

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Part of me doesn't like the sound of this. Personally I'd rather leave time travel to The Doctor.

At least we're not gonna send anyone through it to mess up history.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
What message would I send myself to the past...?

"Invest in ring pops!"

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
I believe that if it worked, it would already have happened. Either that or tear the universe.

Science: Continually striving to DOOM US ALL.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
I thought this was really old news? Unless this is a new time travelling Hadron theory...

phoenix352

Mar 29, 2009
AmrasCalmacil said:
Part of me doesn't like the sound of this. Personally I'd rather leave time travel to The Doctor.

At least we're not gonna send anyone through it to mess up history.

sending anything can get the same result ....
if i send a message to say 1937 and tell them .. kill this Hitler fellow , hes a douche in the making. the entire earth will change.

time travel is just a big ass paradox , also if this is a potential time machine in Theory the fact that we have no messages from the future at this very moment proves we dont invent a time machine ever...

Apr 28, 2008
When they get this working, let me know. I got a message I want to send to the Wright Brothers.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
If I could send a message to myself in the past it would probably be along the lines of, "Masturbate more, play less video games"

FlashHero

Apr 3, 2010
If they can send a message then wouldn't they need the equipment necessary to read it?...in that case that means the LHC of the future can send back messages to itself and that means that maybe the future has been waiting for us to invent the way to receive the messages?

xsosxfelix

Demon
Jun 15, 2010
it will only be able to send messages to the future if this works and in the future where they receive the message they will already know if it works. unless i totally misunderstood the article. . .

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Wait....

Does this mean it failed?
Because this thing is going to be turned on in the future, ergo we're currently in it's past and we haven't had any messages yet.

If we ever invent time travel, we'd know before we'd invent it. Cause we'd go back in time.
All in all, the big question remains, where the hell did the Song of Storms came from?!

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
It seems people think we'll be able to send messages back in time with this particle...
That's not very likely folks.
To send a message to another time, the other time period will need some equipment to read the messages that are sent by means of Higgs singlet. We don't have that equipment yet, and we've never had it. When we invent said equipment we might start receiving messages though. We still won't be able to send messages further into the past than to the point where we invent the means to read the messages but whatever.
It would be awesome to be able to communicate with the future.
Edit: Still, doing that could create a time-paradox, so I'm not sure if it's possible.

nin_ninja

Nov 12, 2009
DeadlyYellow said:
I believe that if it worked, it would already have happened.
Except the people from the future don't want it to happen! Time unraveling and all that.

Mr. GameBrain

Aug 10, 2009
If I could send a message to myself in the past it would probably be along the lines of, "Masturbate less, play more video games"

Tom a Hawk

Apr 10, 2010
A nice idea, but time travels too much of a headf**k. Even messages would probably just screw things up. First the LHC was set to possibly turn into a black hole, now this? It's more trouble than its worth. Lets put those genius scientists to work doing something useful instead, like giving a Wii game decent graphics.

Shiftysnowdog

Nov 7, 2006
They are wrong in saying that it does not have any paradoxes. If we send a message to the past, that says, "kill baby Hitler" then our time line would be forever different.

Also, as Carl Sagan once said, it is almost certain that time travel cannot exist. If time travel were possible we would have been visited by a future person already detailing how to make such a machine, or what to look out for. The same can be said about the messages. If this really is possible, then how come we haven't got messages yet? All they have to say is, ok, lets set up a camera to capture the messages in this ONE spot, forever. It will ALWAYS be in THIS spot at exactly 12 midnight from NOW ON. Then all they would have to do, is set up that camera, and wait for the future people to send a message to that spot. Tickle me retarded, but this isn't possible.

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
Right. But to send messages, you need a measuring device; a reciever. With it, there needs to be a regulation, so that messages sent can be decoded and understood properly.

I would shit myself if the first message that comes in is "S.O.S.".

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Not quite sure what they're planning on doing with this, even if the particles can time travel, how are you going to harness that?

Electrons can teleport, that doesn't mean that we've been able to build our Star Trek teleporter. :D

It is interesting, though. Good old science for science's sake! Too little of that these days.