Ken Levine Says No to PS Move for BioShock Infinite

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Ken Levine Says No to PS Move for BioShock Infinite

Motion controls are out for the third BioShock game, but 3D might still have a shot.

Ken Levine, creative director at Irrational Games and the brain behind BioShock, says that his studio won't be supporting Sony's PlayStation Move controller in BioShock Infinite [http://www.amazon.com/BioShock-Infinite-Xbox-360/dp/B003O6EB70/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300706689&sr=8-1 ]. He says that he doesn't want to add motion controls, unless Irrational is going to do something interesting with the technology.

Levine said that including Move on Infinite wouldn't be for any other reason than to tick a box on a marketing checklist, or to make the platform holder - in this case, Sony - happy. He seemed dismissive of the technology - at least in the context of BioShock - joking that saving or harvesting Little Sisters would come down to waggling the Move controller in a particular direction. He thought that gamers could tell when a developer added a feature to a game for reasons other than making that game better, and that while Irrational could throw in Move support, its audience would know it was being "cheated."

He was more upbeat about 3D however, saying that it was something he was more willing to consider, although he didn't say whether or not BioShock Infinite would actually feature 3D. He said that 3D in games was a different challenge to including it in movies however, as it wasn't simply a case of shooting it differently. But just as with Move support, he said that to really get the best results out of 3D, developers had to do something interesting with it.

Levine may be overstating things a little when he says that including Move support would be "cheating" players, but if Irrational really doesn't think it will add anything to the game, maybe the time really is better spent elsewhere.

BioShock Infinite comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 in 2012.

Source: Play [http://www.play-mag.co.uk/general/ken-levine-bioshock-move-will-be-cheating-gamers/]

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Wow, that was pretty honest. Actually admitting pressure from Sony would be the only reason the game would ever have motion controls. You don't see that often.

3rd rung

Feb 20, 2009
I like that he sands up for what he thinks is best and will make the game better. It seems like a good move to start making sure the new technologies are used is a good way not just for gimmicks.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
Glad to hear their heads are in the right place on conserving features, but then again...

Logan Westbrook said:
joking that saving or harvesting Little Sisters would come down to waggling the Move controller in a particular direction.
Is this a confirmation that they're going to re-hash the Little Sisters again, or just a joke?

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
NickCaligo42 said:
Logan Westbrook said:
joking that saving or harvesting Little Sisters would come down to waggling the Move controller in a particular direction.
So, wait. Is this a confirmation that they're going to re-hash the Little Sisters again, or just a joke?
It could have just been he was drawing parallels to an action fans of the series would understand and get the joke. Or it could be confirmation, someone goes plug in the rumour mill!

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Good news i guess, that means they will spend their time on something that would actually improve the game.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Good God, it's nice to see a developer with a spot of integrity.

Mr Levine just scored some major respect points.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Veloxe said:
NickCaligo42 said:
Logan Westbrook said:
So, wait. Is this a confirmation that they're going to re-hash the Little Sisters again, or just a joke?
It could have just been he was drawing parallels to an action fans of the series would understand and get the joke. Or it could be confirmation, someone goes plug in the rumour mill!
Oddly enough, it reminds me more od Black & White, with mouse drawn spells.

legion431

Mar 14, 2010
Yes, I had hoped this game would stick to what it does best without needing another tech gimmick.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Mr. Levine, we salute you. Please continue making one of the best games of 2012.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
I'm glad they didn't put motion controls in this. I'm just not very into motion controls, and they would seem like a gimmick if attached to this.

EDIT:

NickCaligo42 said:
Glad to hear their heads are in the right place on conserving features, but then again...

Logan Westbrook said:
Is this a confirmation that they're going to re-hash the Little Sisters again, or just a joke?
Although the more I think about that, the funnier it seems. "Shake the little sister untill the slug falls out!"

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
amen, i dont mind the concept of 3D, when its done right it can be good... same cant be said for motion controls.

i am not even a fan of bioshock (mainly because i still have yet to really play it) but i support this.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Yaay :D
Actually don't understand why PS3 and XBOX don't have a universal piece of software that would convert that motion malarkey into standard controls, that way even games without support could be playable.
Damn I should copyright such ideas...

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
He says that he doesn't want to add motion controls, unless Irrational is going to do something interesting with the technology.
Proper aiming? :p

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Good, it isn't necessary at all and would hinder the game and their time.

That's coming from somebody who has a Move.