Minecraft Documentary Donors Receive Minecraftian Goodies

Garrett Grothe

Feb 18, 2011
Minecraft Documentary Donors Receive Minecraftian Goodies

Donate to the team behind the Minecraft documentary and you may come away with more than just a case of the warm fuzzies.

In case your deep, deep love for Minecraft wasn't quite enough to get you to donate to the production of Minecraft: The Story of Mojang, documentarians 2 Player Productions have decided to ramp up the deal by throwing in some sweet swag.

Though all donations are appreciated, those who can part with at least $60 will net themselves a "Creeper" wind-up toy, his/her name in the credits, an autographed copy of the DVD and a physical copy of the documentary's soundtrack. $500 lands you a "Box Pig" piggy bank for use in saving for your next hefty donation. Generous souls donating upwards of $2,500 will snag a pick axe mounted on a custom display, signed by the crew at Mojang. 2 Player Productions has partnered with Fangamer [http://fangamer.net/] to create all the Minecraft gear received by donors.

The $350 pledge level, which allowed donors to contribute a personal 15-second video made within Minecraft to be placed within the movie's credits, has already effectively "sold out." Sorry, gang.

In the few short weeks since 2 Player Productions launched its Kickstarter page [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107917-Full-length-Minecraft-Documentary-Needs-a-Kickstart], it has already passed the $150,000 goal currently sitting at a fat $166,653 without showing signs of stopping.

If you would like to donate, go watch 20 minutes of Minecraft: The Story of Mojang [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108241-Watch-20-Minutes-of-the-Minecraft-Documentary], then proceed to pull out your all-too-heavy wallet and remedy your lack of Minecraft swag.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2pp/minecraft-the-story-of-mojang/]

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
$2,500??? DAYUM!!

Who will be willing to donate that kind of money???

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
I don't understand why I'd want a Minecraft documentary...

As cool as the creeper toy is, I'm really not willing to shell out that money.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Its not often you see projects like this. Looks pretty cool, but unfortunately I can be of no help. I am quite poor. :(

EllEzDee

Nov 29, 2010
Yet more obvious signs of Minecraft being blown out of proportion. I don't like Minecraft, but the concept is great. Doesn't mean we need to piss our pants with delight about every aspect of the game. I mean honestly, a documentary? Kane and Lynch 2 broke just as many boundaries as Minecraft. Does that need a documentary?
The answer is fuck yes, i want to know what they were smoking at the time of conception...

Uh yea, anyways. Proportions. Blown.

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
I'm not that huge a Minecraft fan, but i'm sad to see the inevitable hype backlash seems to be starting....

Plus, I reeeeeealy want that piggy bank.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Donate... to Mojang? Like they need any donations, this isn't charity, this is charging $500 for a piggy bank and $60 for a crappy wind up toy! This disgusts me, and i can't believe people are willing to pay for such things. I just lost a lot of respect for Mojang...

meepop

Aug 18, 2009
Hey, say what you want about them, they've got money -- Besides, you guys are forgetting the money that goes to the documentary does not go to Mojang; it goes to the people making the documentary. As for the price of the toys, I'm fairly certain that it covers shipping and production, so in reality while it is very over-priced ($500 for a fuckin' piggy bank?), the pricing is partially justified. I just wanna see the documentary...

Vladamir69

Dec 18, 2008
Yea i donated 60 like a month ago and i watched it break the 150k mark twice. It looks to be a great movie.

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
Already a contributor. 2PP is a great team and they do really solid work, so I have no doubt this will be fantastic. The swag is just a bonus, really. I can't wait for this to come out and be released.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
2.500$.... WTF are those guys smoking?
Even 60$ is to much. Who do they think will be donating them? They think that people have some extra 2,500$ they don't need?

I don't want to offend anyone, but those guys just try to take as much as possible cash while Minecraft is still hyped. A legal thief.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I'd rather have a windup Pig and a Creeper bank(exploding with savings!), but this is some nice swag all the same. Wish there was a pic of that pick-axe. If it is a real and genuine pick-axe and has all of Mojang's signatures, I'd call that worth $2500. Too bad I don't got enough dough to chip in anything. They should seriously get a booth at Comic-con. Lack of sleep would be a decent exchange for the face-time they would get. Not to mention the opportunities to meet with other devs to do documentaries on them.
lunncal said:
Donate... to Mojang? Like they need any donations, this isn't charity, this is charging $500 for a piggy bank and $60 for a crappy wind up toy! This disgusts me, and i can't believe people are willing to pay for such things. I just lost a lot of respect for Mojang...
The donation doesn't go to Mojang, it goes to the company composing the documentary about Mojang, 2 Player Productions. 2PP isn't affiliated with Mojang beyond this one project. None of the money goes to Mojang, either.
It helps to read the whole article before jumping to conclusions.
If you don't want to give to this, there are other avenues as well. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.271747-Bungies-helping-out-with-Japan-Find-out-how-you-can-help]

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
samsonguy920 said:
-Snip-
The donation doesn't go to Mojang, it goes to the company composing the documentary about Mojang, 2 Player Productions. 2PP isn't affiliated with Mojang beyond this one project. None of the money goes to Mojang, either.
It helps to read the whole article before jumping to conclusions.
If you don't want to give to this, there are other avenues as well. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.271747-Bungies-helping-out-with-Japan-Find-out-how-you-can-help]
Ok then, so why donate to 2 player productions? Just imagine what i said earlier but with 2 Player Productions instead of Mojang. They are still just selling you some merchandise for exorbitant prices, and for some reason claiming that this is a donation. They aren't a charity, they are a company. They don't deserve my money any more than i deserve my money.

The "Other Avenues" thing you pointed out actually is a charity, the red cross. They are deserving of my money because they will use it to help people who are in need of my money more than me. I would gladly, and do, give to charities such as the red cross.

Give money to some random new company so they can make a film? No thanks.

Pay to watch said film? Sure.

But the prices for the merchandise they are selling are disgustingly high, yet people pay for it anyway since it is a "Donation"? It's insane if you ask me.