Much-Maligned The Hobbit Actually Starts Filming

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Much-Maligned The Hobbit Actually Starts Filming

After union disputes, sickness and bankruptcy, The Hobbit production started principal photography today.

Peter Jackson has been trying to get this film made for a bloody long time. He started off just producing the prequel to his blockbuster fantasy The Lord of the Rings with Mexican filmmaker Guillermo del Toro as director. When del Toro couldn't work the filming into his schedule, Jackson offered to step in but the hospitalized with a perforated ulcer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104462-Hobbit-Movies-Finally-Receive-Studio-Greenlight]. Despite all the troubles, The Hobbit, which will be told over two films, began capturing images on celluloid today under Jackson's direction.

[gallery=162]

The film stars Martin Freeman (The Office, Sherlock) as Bilbo Baggins journeying with a group of dwarves led by Thorin Oakenshield, played by British TV veteran Richard Armitage. Returning from The Lord of the Rings is Cate Blanchett as Galadriel, Andy Serkis as Gollum and Elijah Wood as Frodo. Also returning is Ian McKellen as Gandalf, the actor having confirmed that he will reprise his role in the new movies [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106858-Ian-McKellen-Almost-Ditched-Playing-Gandalf-in-The-Hobbit-Movie].

Despite the good news that Jackson has begun shooting, we fans still have a long time to wait as the planned release dates are 2012 and 2013. I'm still quite interested in the framing element of Frodo reading the story of his adoptive father's exploits from the Red Book of Westmarch [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106762-Elijah-Woods-Frodo-Will-Appear-in-The-Hobbit-Movies]. I think it will really bring the disparate elements not only of The Hobbit but also Tolkien's amazingly in-depth source material and backstory.

Ya, I can't wait.

Source: Warner Bros. PR [http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150168211921558]

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I just hope that they still have all the songs

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
i didn't realise how the cast was shaping up! i gotta say, this looks really promising. i can't hide the fact that i am pretty excited for this xD

DarkSpectre

Jan 25, 2010
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay excessive celebration over, I do hope it turns out as good as the Trilogy. PJ handle the trilogy well and I am hoping that all these setbacks won't cause an the film to be substandard

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
StoryMode said:
time to cryogenically freeze myself until the release date.
I was just thinking this. Now that we get a better rough estimate I can set the date for dethawing myself. I figure I'll go with the end of 2013 just to be safe. If I miss theatrical then it will most certainly be out on super blu-ray or whatever format we are using in the far off land of 2 years from now.

RabbidKuriboh

Sep 19, 2010
not sure how i feel about Martin Freeman, he's more a comedy actor, although i guess this is Peter freaking Jackson we're talking about

StoryMode

Mar 18, 2010
RabbidKuriboh said:
not sure how i feel about Martin Freeman, he's more a comedy actor, although i guess this is Peter freaking Jackson we're talking about
Have you seen him in Sherlock? He's pretty darn good in a more serious role. He's Watson =P

StoryMode

Mar 18, 2010
Veloxe said:
StoryMode said:
time to cryogenically freeze myself until the release date.
I was just thinking this. Now that we get a better rough estimate I can set the date for dethawing myself. I figure I'll go with the end of 2013 just to be safe. If I miss theatrical then it will most certainly be out on super blu-ray or whatever format we are using in the far off land of 2 years from now.
can't wait for super bluray!

ScoopMeister

Mar 12, 2011
StoryMode said:
RabbidKuriboh said:
Have you seen him in Sherlock? He's pretty darn good in a more serious role. He's Watson =P
I second that opinion.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I just want to see what Smaug will look like. There havent been that many well done dragons in movies. I bet this will be the better one.

RabbidKuriboh

Sep 19, 2010
StoryMode said:
RabbidKuriboh said:
that was jude law

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
I'm both excited and worried...

I loved the LOTR films. But I think PJ was right to be worried about living up to the hype. Going to be an issue...

I think I'll avoid reading details about this as best as I can to avoid any hype.

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
RabbidKuriboh said:
StoryMode said:
RabbidKuriboh said:
that was jude law
Sherlock the TV series. Not Sherlock Holmes the movie.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
Peter Jackson lost some serious weight. Also, I look forward to this. I thought the hobbit was better than the lord of the rings in some ways.

RabbidKuriboh

Sep 19, 2010
EmperorSubcutaneous said:
RabbidKuriboh said:
StoryMode said:
RabbidKuriboh said:
that was jude law
Sherlock the TV series. Not Sherlock Holmes the movie.
aah, my apologies