Ngmoco Sees Rocky Road Ahead for Activision

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Ngmoco Sees Rocky Road Ahead for Activision

The videogame industry is changing, and Activision apparently isn't doing enough to change with it.

Ngmoco founder and former EA executive, Neil Young says that Activision may soon find itself in a very difficult position if it doesn't start embracing the new models that the internet has opened up. Young felt that Activision was biding its time, and questioned whether that was really a smart move.

Young said that social and free-to-play games weren't going to just disappear, and that waiting would only make the problem worse as what you could get for free online was getting better all the time. He added that he could conceive of a time when someone would make a free-to-play shooter that would be a worthy rival to Call of Duty, which could be disastrous for Activision if it wasn't properly prepared. He made a comparison to the site Craigslist, which generates about $80 million in revenue a year. Craigslist wasn't an enormous company, he said, but it had still been able to decimate the $1.8 billion classified ads market by having a more up-to-date business model.

He felt that Activision would only rumble to life when it absolutely had to, and then would try to acquire the expertise by buying up another company. Young was skeptical about the potential success of that plan however, saying that there wasn't anyone that Activision could buy that would allow it to compete properly.

It wasn't just Activision that was in danger of being left behind either, Young said that most of the big publishers weren't doing enough to get ahead of changing trends. He was full of praise for his former employer EA, however, saying that of the likes of Activision, THQ, and Take Two, EA was most likely to come out of this market transition in good health. He said that EA had been slowly building its "institutional knowledge" for years via acquisitions and development of different game types, and that would give it the edge in the future.

With Call of Duty breaking records year after year, not to mention making mountains of cash, it feels somewhat unstoppable, but there's no institution so big that it can't fail. It's hard to see packaged games drying up entirely, in much the same way that YouTube hasn't killed off the movie industry, but if Activision - and other publishers too - don't move with the times, they could find themselves in a much more tenuous position than they ever imagined.

Source: Industry Gamers [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/ea-in-best-position-activision-has-challenging-road-ahead/]

Rivers Wells

Aug 26, 2010
Poor Activision. How many times are you going to be looked down on by the rest of the gaming community? Still its a solid point. The landscape of gaming is really changing at this very moment so holding back, biding time, or trying to jump back in once things are settled (which I'm assuming they're trying to do) could backfire on them.

Also, Neil Young has a video game company? That'd be cool by me, I guess.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
People will always pay good money for inferior products. As long as Zynga is making "Games" like Farmville and Mafia Wars then Activision is as safe as houses.

ZeroDotZero

Sep 18, 2009
Ngmoco used to make good games. They were one of the best companies for iPhone games. Then they swapped to just making F2P games. That isn't the way forward, Neil Young.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
The industry is changing but I really think Activision know this already, they are cutting projects and becoming more efficient and I really think it is foolish to believe they will struggle. Yes I hate them too, they ruined the guitar hero franchise, the suck the fun out of games and only operate as a corporation rather than as a distributor of games but they know their business like the back of their hand

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Unless Activision's current market disappears, I doubt they are in any real jeopardy.
Although I wouldn't complain if something were to forcibly separate them from Blizzard; that something being poor results.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Here's how Activision will get into financial trouble: 1) the internet goes offline, thereby taking WoW and CoD with it. 2) Blizzard ends their Faustian pact with Activision, thereby cutting them off from all that WoW money. 3) People stop buying the yearly CoD malarkey.
Now let's see...1) is absolutely impossible, 2) ain't gonna happen with Activision's lawyer brigade, and 3) involves people not being retarded, so no. In other words, Mr. Young is an idiot who has no idea what the hell he's talking about.

skitskat

Apr 14, 2009
oi! activision! enough with the COD and the WOW already! make something worth playing that isnt the same generic shooter or click spamming MMO already!

sorry about that, the voice in my head just got louder.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
I should hope that "real" video games aren't going anywhere. I understand there is a market for casual and "social" games but don't bill it as the future when its really a downgrade for the existing market

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Anyone else curious about why the picture is from World at War? It makes me want to go play Nazi Zombies. Hm...BBQ Meatsacks...

Anyway, perhaps this will come to pass, maybe even in my lifetime. I doubt it, but you never know.