Syfy Enters the Social Gaming Arena

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Syfy Enters the Social Gaming Arena

Syfy, the specialty channel with the silly name, is jumping into the social gaming milieu with a series of games that will launch later this year on Facebook.

Syfy, which I'm pretty sure is still pronounced "sci-fi," plans to launch a series of social games in the science fiction, fantasy, paranormal, action-adventure and superhero genres which will debut on Facebook and then branch out to other social networks later. Launching under the Syfy Games label, some of the new games will be based on existing Syfy programming while others will be entirely original.

This won't actually be Syfy's first venture into gaming. The network has previously partnered with Bigpoint Games to create a Red Faction [http://battlestar-galactica.bigpoint.com/] series called Red Faction: Origins.

"By providing our fans on social networks and other platforms with a distinctive, premium gaming experience, we are creating a perfect complement to our existing Syfy Games portfolio," said Syfy President Dave Howe.

Syfy said research indicates that the worldwide market for social games will hit $6.1 billion in 2011 and $12.1 billion by 2014. No word on what its first release will be but I'm crossing my fingers for voice acting appearances by Marc Singer and Michael Paré.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/465611-EXCLUSIVE_Syfy_Leaps_Into_Social_Gaming_Space.php]

Feb 13, 2008
"By providing our fans on social networks and other platforms with a distinctive, premium gaming experience, we are creating a perfect complement to our existing Syfy Games portfolio,"
Why is it that I immediately want to stab that man? Why can't he speak English? Here, I'll translate.

"We're helping to make games to go with our great programming."

WHAT is so difficult in that?

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Syfy, which I'm pretty sure is still pronounced "sci-fi,"
I think the correct pronunciation is "syphi." That's how I like to say it anyway...

Anyway, I saw some ads for the BSG game. It's a neat idea, but nothing for which I would pay a monthly fee (or microtransaction for a Viper MK2 or whatever). Might still be worth a look though...

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
According to player reports, that BSG MMO was shockingly bad - nice graphics but horrendous servers, lag, and grid-tastic gameplay undermined by the ability to simply purchase anything in the game with real money. One player was even begging to have their account cancelled because that functionality seemed to have been left out and he just wanted to leave :/ Not excited by the announcement of more of the same :/

Ensiferum

Apr 24, 2010
If the quality of "sifie's" programming nowadays is any indication of what their games will be like, I'll pass.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Nerd rage in 3...2...1...Rage commencing

SCI-FI say it with me now inept gerbils that run the network. Yes even you Sheriff from Eureka who looks oddly like Mike Roe of Dirty Jobs...Very good, now if you'll please turn your attention to the chart of known genres that you'll find at your local library and video store. Can anyone pick out the genre of SyFy...what's that? You can't? Check again I'm almost certain it's there, after all you did name a network after it. What's that Colonel O'Neil, there's no such genre as SyFy, and that it's spelled S-C-I dash F-I and not S-Y-F-Y? Very good Colonel, you and the Stargate series may leave now.

Next we're going to take a look in Webster's Dictionary to find...dammit Artie stop eating the donuts and pay attention!

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
Seefee? I don't get...oh wait, they mean Sci-Fi. Why can't people spell butchered abbreviations properly these days? If anything it would become Si-Fi like Hi-Fi.

I refuse to have anything to do with them till they stop such silliness with their nomenclature.

OT: I was wondering when others were going to notice what Zynga was saying about the estimated facebook audience and take it as gospel.

kane.malakos

Jan 7, 2011
How about they focus more on not sucking instead of producing shitty games. Seriously, the SciFi channel used to be a good channel with lots of quality programs and reruns of science fiction classics. Now it's...not.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
OH what about battle over La, odd they make that movie as that other movie, battle la comes out... are they going to make an mmo of that, or they could make video games about all the movies were they used props and clothing from everywhere, i watched a ww2 movie a few days ago, and they had the Germans driving a Russian tank and had it covered in iron crosses and swastikas.

Stargate was the only shows on Siefie that i ever realy loved.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Don't talk to me about syfy. I want my Stargate Universe back!

But anyway, best of luck to them in this latest endeavour. Though I thought it more likely they'd be attempting to take on the Cooking Mama market with Marcels Quantum Kitchen: The Game than do anything that actually relates to Sci-Fi.

I removed a paragraph from the middle of this post, as I deemed it to be wholly unnecessary. Time (and further comments) will hopefully prove I was right. For once. :)

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
I love that whenever "Syfy" is brought up... a comment must always be made on how stupid that name is. Very deserving.

I think "Syfy" is short for: "Just another garbage reality network".

I was just getting into the Sci-Fi Channel right before they changed the name. I immediately stopped watching after all that garbage.

Do they still own that name? Or can someone start up another Sci-Fi Channel that is dedicated to you know... Sci-Fi?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Social games from pretty much the only people who even try to make a good Sci-Fi or fantasy series anymore...

First you cancel the new series of Eureka over the xmas period, now youre making me choke with hatred.

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
They made Mega Shark vs. Giga Octopus. Followed by Sharktopus. And there was some other one I've heard of that was called... Mongolian Death Worms, I think?

The point I'm trying to make here is that we could end up with an excellent game, in a terrible sort of way. It could be the Metal Wolf Chaos of horror games.

Mr. GameBrain

Aug 10, 2009
If this was announced say 10 years ago I might have had some confidence.
But the fact is, 'Syfy' is just a mockery of what used to be a pretty good channel.

They shouldn't have bothered to make original content for the channel, as the movies I have seen on there are just gut wrenchingly aweful.

("Hey I got an idea to reduce costs! Lets try to make our own stuff!")

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Can somebody explain to me why they call it SyFy? It's still called Sci-Fi in Australia...

SyFy is a stupid name, it reminds me of the 90's when everything was cool if you put an X or Z somewhere in a title.

Anyways, on topic, cool I guess, I won't be playing them though.