PC Version of New Deus Ex Developed by "Partner" Studio

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
PC Version of New Deus Ex Developed by "Partner" Studio

It turns out that the PC version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution [http://www.amazon.com/Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-Augmented-Pc/dp/B004EIOH80/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300930670&sr=8-1] is actually being developed by Netherlands-based studio Nixxes in "partnership" with Eidos Montreal.

You'd be forgiven for thinking that all versions of the upcoming Deus Ex: Human Revolution are being created at Eidos Montreal. That's the name on the box, after all, and everything we've heard about the game thus far has come from that direction. Yet that's not exactly, entirely the case.

Shacknews [http://www.shacknews.com/article/67902/interview-deus-ex-human-revolution-1] asked Human Revolution Director Jean-François Dugas in a recent interview if the PC version of the game was developed in-house at Eidos Montreal and received a rather surprising answer. "No," Dugas said. "Well, it was done in-house, but with a partnership."

That partnership is with Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver [http://www.nixxes.com/], but until now the only indication that it was working on Human Revolution has come through LinkedIn profiles of a few Nixxes employees.

Dugas said the PC version is being handled by an external studio because Eidos Montreal simply doesn't have the manpower to handle development on three platforms at once. Still, he insisted that all important decisions are being made in Montreal. "All the design and changes to the design has been done in Montreal and sent to them," he explained. "We review the builds. We review and then give comments about what works and what doesn't. It's the same process. It's the exact same process, except that the programmers aren't in the same office. It's the same game and the same creative team taking care of it."

The PC version of the game will be a little different than the console versions, particularly in the interface, but Dugas said it won't feel like like a port of a console game. "I can tell the PC fans that, actually in the office when I'm playing the game I don't play on Xbox 360 or PS3, I play on the PC," he said. "It's shaping out to be very good. It's on the same level as the other platforms." Eidos will talk about the PC-specific changes "eventually," he added.

It's not necessarily bad news, especially if Eidos Montreal is keeping a close eye on things, but I do find it interesting that just last week, Volition announced that it was bringing the development of future PC releases back in-house [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108583-Volition-Brings-PC-Development-Back-Home] because it was tired of putting up with shoddy ports. Deus Ex: Human Revolution is scheduled to come out on August 23 for the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Well, maybe its for the best, these guys are the ones that make sure that you dont find "Press RB to reload" in the game so... and since their previous works have been ports I guess that its ok.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Wait, so these are the guys to blame for the shit-tastic port of Kane & Lynch 1? *Sigh* Console it is then.

Seriously, these guys need to be shot and dumped in a ditch purely for the horrific travesty that was the K&L 1 port.

Edit: I could have sworn the article said Kane & Lynch: Dead Men. That what I get for reading too fast I guess. My bad guys.

Apr 28, 2008
matrix3509 said:
Wait, so these are the guys to blame for the shit-tastic port of Kane & Lynch 1? *Sigh* Console it is then.

Seriously, these guys need to be shot and dumped in a ditch purely for the horrific travesty that was the K&L 1 port.
They did Kane and Lynch 2, not 1.

Granted Kane and Lynch 2 wasn't that great either. Since if you wanted to play on a LAN, you need to use a 360 controller. And this is not mentioned anywhere.

So yeah, things already aren't exactly looking great.

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
Sooo...

"Awesome new Deus Ex, which could possibly re-ignite the series, is being P.C.-ported by one of the worst studios ever."

Fan-fucking-tastic. I'll just go kill the last remaining hope I had and call it done.

GiantRedButton

Mar 30, 2009
Well so Pc isn't the lead platform afterall, but tagged on.
nixxes are good at making ports but they aren't montreal and all decisions get made by the console lead devs first.
Nixxen then finds workarounds for the design decisions that aren't only bad for pc but hinder gameplay. (like walking speeds).
they made it seem like i's going to stay true to it's roots, which is why they kept it a sectret i assume, but it's just another one of those console ports. sounded to good to be true anyways.

Also the only way to make a good port out of Kane And lynch 2 would have been to port a different game.
It was ok but i don't think most of the pc versions problems came from porting.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Well, these guy made the port of Soul Reaver 2 for PC and that game played pretty well on an early 2000 ancient machine. Also judging from the demos of Tomb Raider Anniversary and Underworld, those were also good ports and they worked pretty well.

I hope that the PC version gets the attention it deserves and won't end up being a crappy port like Darksiders.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Irridium said:
matrix3509 said:

Granted Kane and Lynch 2 wasn't that great either. Since if you wanted to play on a LAN, you need to use a 360 controller. And this is not mentioned anywhere.

Gah sorry... when I read it I apparently skipped the 2 in the name. My bad. Haven't played K&L 2 though, can you blame me?

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
The PC version of the game will be a little different than the console versions, particularly in the interface, but Dugas said it won't feel like like a port of a console game. "I can tell the PC fans that, actually in the office when I'm playing the game I don't play on Xbox 360 or PS3, I play on the PC," he said. "It's shaping out to be very good. It's on the same level as the other platforms." Eidos will talk about the PC-specific changes "eventually," he added
On one hand, this feels reassuring. On the other, I'm nervous, I really want this game to be good and ESPECIALLY want to get the PC version above all else. Perhaps it really will be as good as they say?

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
To waylay our fears, maybe they should release a demo before release.

[sub]...[/sub]

Hah! Just kidding.

Apr 28, 2008
matrix3509 said:
Irridium said:
matrix3509 said:

Gah sorry... when I read it I apparently skipped the 2 in the name. My bad. Haven't played K&L 2 though, can you blame me?
Not at all. I haven't played the game either. My only run in with it is the situation I described above. I was at a friend's house, he was trying to set up a LAN game of it for him and his brother, and thats when we found out we needed a 360 controller to do it. For the PC version.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
Can't say anything for the rest of the games, but I played Tomb Raider Anniversary and Underworld on the PC and have no actual complaint about the PC aspect of it. The gripes I have come directly from the content in the games and not how it plays. Still, the optimization of the TR engine for the PC could have better but I don't know if that's the engine's fault itself or Nixxes' doing.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Hopefully this partner studio is only handling the interface, controls and menu design, not the actual game content.
But wait... aren't most of those games they listed console titles? Why would they be picked to help with the PC version?

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I have some issues with the guardian of light game.
My PC can absolutely max out Just Cause 2 with hardware water tesselation, SSAO and 32x AA while maintaining about 70-80 FPS; but Laura Croft: GoL seems to skip, hop and lag strangely.

fierydemise

Mar 14, 2008
Nixxes actually has some pretty solid ports to their credit and ME1 should be all the evidence anyone needs that PC ports can be very good (even better then the console versions).

This news is just that news, its neither terrible nor great its just something interesting to note going forward.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
josemlopes said:
Well, maybe its for the best, these guys are the ones that make sure that you dont find "Press RB to reload" in the game so... and since their previous works have been ports I guess that its ok.
Have you played any of those ports?

Not exactly the best.

Guardian of Light alone is absolutely hell on a mouse and keyboard... and the PC practically invented ARPG's.

phoenix352

Mar 29, 2009
great so another studio promises PC gamers get treated well but ends up just tacking the pc version onto the consoles ...

this is Crysis 2 all over again ...

honestly any worth while pc developers that remain are Valve and Dice the other ones have switched to MMO's or went console ...

beema

Aug 19, 2009
Ughhhhhhhhhh so much for that, this game is going to be garbage now. Fuck Eidos, why did I ever have faith that they would come through on this?

OF COURSE the PC development isn't being considered the main priority and focus. Of course it's being relegated to some second party craptastic porting house.

So sick of this bullshit.

Invisible War was a fuck-awful port job. If this is even remotely similar I simply wont play it.

Ironic that moves like this only serve to further decrease already decreasing PC sales.

DaxStrife said:
Hopefully this partner studio is only handling the interface, controls and menu design, not the actual game content.
Hopefully? Are you nuts? Those are generally the parts that go the MOST WRONG with PC ports. Thorough understanding of intuitive and well-designed interface & controls are key for PC games to be good. If a porting studio botches that, the content wont matter.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Right, 'cuz dedicating your entire team to making sure the game runs on devices with the comparative computational power of a toaster and a coffee maker inexplicably leads to better business. Sometimes I just don't understand the world...
I'm nevertheless glad us glorious PC gamers (we're the master race, bow before us you dirty console peasants, etc and so forth) are at least getting a version that apparently wasn't ported by the dev team over a lunch break.