The 3DS Could (Sort Of) Help Kids' Eyesight

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
The 3DS Could (Sort Of) Help Kids' Eyesight

Optometrists say that Nintendo's 3DS won't damage developing eyesight - and in fact, it might do just the opposite.

Nintendo has been warning parents American Optometric Association [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101482-Nintendo-Says-3DS-Not-Recommended-for-Young-Children] said that it should be a-OK for kids to use the system, Nintendo stuck to its word.

However, the AOA thinks that there may be a very good reason for children to play the 3DS: It could help identify potential vision disorders at an age where they're still correctable.

According to AOA associate director for health sciences and policy Michael Duenas, the 3DS could be a "godsend" for aiding optometrists in diagnosing problems such as amblyopia ("lazy eye") in children, reports the AP [http://hosted2.ap.org/APDEFAULT/Lifestyle/Article_2011-03-18-US-FEA-Games-3-D-Vision-Problems/id-ea94efb07e5d4484bb69b3cc371446a9]. While sending stereoscopic images to produce a 3D effect generally works well, it's completely artificial - and lacks the more subtle cues we see in real life: Maybe light doesn't glint off the edges of an object as it should, or maybe it doesn't interact with the environment just as we expect it to.

Many people can automatically correct for this, but it's what causes eye strain and headaches - and some people with a vision disorder can't see it at all. The good news is that these disorders are easily treated, as long as it is identified before age 6 - when our visual system is roughly finished developing. The bad news is that fewer than 15% of preschoolers ever have the sort of comprehensive eye exam that could catch the vision issue in time.

Enter the 3DS. The AOA thinks that if a young child cannot see the 3D effect no matter how you tune the slider, it might be a cue to take him or her in for an eye exam. Because many more children will likely have access to a handheld game console than will get a comprehensive eye checkup, this means that more problems could be identified than might have been otherwise. "[The 3DS] has presented my profession, optometry, a wonderful opportunity," said AOA president Joe Ellis.

But not all eye doctors are in agreement. David Hunter, an ophthalmologist at the Children's Hospital in Boston is skeptical that the 3DS could aid in identifying vision disorders. Those who suffer from amblyopia don't have much depth perception in their day-to-day life, he said, so they might not see anything different in the 3DS. While he didn't rule out the possibility, Hunter said that it was "all sort of exploration and speculation."

That hasn't stopped the AOA and the 3DAtHome Consortium - a group of technology manufacturers and Hollywood studios - from joining forces and pledging to share information about how 3D affects eyesight, a topic on which little long-term research has been done.

Of course, Jim Sheedy, director of the Vision Performance Institute said that parents should be prudent about how much time their children spend playing videogames anyway. The #1 health concern associated with gaming is not eyesight issues but rather obesity, he said. "Kids should be out running around."

(Gamasutra [http://hosted2.ap.org/APDEFAULT/Lifestyle/Article_2011-03-18-US-FEA-Games-3-D-Vision-Problems/id-ea94efb07e5d4484bb69b3cc371446a9])

(Image: Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Slit_lamp_Eye_examination_by_Ophthalmologist.jpg])

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
Although don't go outside and run around with your portable gaming console, that just leads to tears most of the time.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
I still have one problem. Traveling. A lot of people play while on the bus or in a car. Can you imagine looking up out of a window from the 3D? The disorientation is going to be jarring to say the least. Kids should still be a little wary.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
I still have one problem. Traveling. A lot of people play while on the bus or in a car. Can you imagine looking up out of a window from the 3D? The disorientation is going to be jarring to say the least. Kids should still be a little wary.
Especially if the little kids are driving a car while playing.

But this is great news in addition to the older research about games', especially FPS's I think, ability to improve contrast definition. The next generation with a better vision. Maybe they'll see through humankind's mistakes as well.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
GonzoGamer said:
study sponsored by nintendo
Funnily enough, this statement is actually contrary to Nintendo's own claims. The Big N is being very conservative here, and with good reason - they don't want a class action lawsuit.

righthanded

Dec 5, 2007
John Funk said:
GonzoGamer said:
Funnily enough, this statement is actually contrary to Nintendo's own claims. The Big N is being very conservative here, and with good reason - they don't want a class action lawsuit.
jeez, can't the guy irrationally harp on nintendo in peace?

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
this brings me back,

you know I was given my first gaming system a original gameboy by my parents because I had a muscular problem in my hands and my phiscal therapist said it would strengthen my hands and the rest is history
*goes back to playing her DSi*

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
John Funk said:
GonzoGamer said:
I was just kidding. I'm sure they are being too careful after the Virtual Boy fiasco.
On the other hand I wouldn't be surprised to find Sony sponsoring a study on how the 3ds is bad for your eyes.
Like the George Carlin joke:
And now a message from the National Apple Institute- "Fuck Pears!"

Dindril

Jan 16, 2009
I didn't read the whole article (I just woke up and don't want to read alot), but I noticed something about this statement.

"While sending stereoscopic images to produce a 3D effect generally works well, it's completely artificial - and lacks the more subtle cues we see in real life: Maybe light doesn't glint off the edges of an object as it should, or maybe it doesn't interact with the environment just as we expect it to."

Really, I think the most major thing is aperture, or depth of field, or whatever you want to call it. Your eyes need to individually at different depths (thus I believe the inability to focus at different depths is what causes people to need glasses, usually), in addition to centering the object in both eyes (what your doing with 3D). Because of the image still being a 2D image on the screen, there is no differing depth of field, and it doesn't feel real.

At least... that's how I understand it.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Wow, the console that's going to replace the Wii is probably going to cure cancer, if that isn't covered with the updated 3DS that will come out in 2 or 3 years tops.

On a completely unrelated note, I can't wait to buy the 3DS tomorrow. Hopefully I can get my dirt paws on one... I wont be able to play before Tuesday next week because I got exams, but hey, I want it!

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
John Funk said:
GonzoGamer said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we see a similar study out maybe a half a year ago that suggested the normal DS was helping kids with the lazy eye improve their vision because it was helping them train their eyes straight?

I swear I remember seeing it on the Escapist.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
@Verlander: Don't remind me. That book gave me the creeps as a kid.

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
In other news: the Virtual Boy has been seen as a great new way to test your eyes for hemophilia!

But, really, it's good that the 3DS can be used something beneficial, compared to the days when they said sitting to close to a screen wrecks your vision.