Dream a Little Dream

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Dream a Little Dream

MovieBob recommends five movies that visit the land of dreams.

Read Full Article

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
It's been years since I last saw Brazil. I need to rectify that soon. After I see Sucker Punch.

MaximillionMiles

Jan 20, 2011
Have seen Brazil and Eternal Sunshine. Love both of them. The whole "dream and reality" theme is one that I love, be it books, movies or whatever.

For those that want an anime recommendation for the same kind of movie, I would suggest anything by Satoshi Kon (Paprika is the one most connected to actual dreaming, but they all fit except for Tokyo Godfathers). Ghost in the Shell 2 touches on the subject as well and it's a good movie but also weird as hell and nigh-incomprehensible, so be warned.
Ergo Proxy is also a hard-to-understand anime that references a lot of philosophy and psychology, but it's a series instead of a movie and only a few episodes have anything to do with dreams.

Now, to see the other movies on the list...

Orthon

Mar 28, 2009
I haven't seen Eternal Sunshine since it came out on DVD. I recall being confused back then, but these days, I do enjoy Charlie Kaufman's movies a great deal, and have been waiting for a chance to revisit Sunshine.

Also, Spellbound looks very interesting, based on that premise and picture alone. I'll check it out. Thanks, Bob.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
No 'The Science of Sleep'?

It's not the best movie, but I think it's the best dream movie, better than Eternal Sunshine and also by Gondry.

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
Understanding the need to exclude anime, if one should be included, it's the film Paprika. Along with being an excellent film with great imagery, it was also the final project that the late great director Satoshi Kon finished. Go see it.

His other movies Perfect Blue and Millenium Actress could also be said to be tangentially about dreams, but Paprika is the most relevant to the dream topic.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Brazil is one of my favorite movies ever... Both versions. It was on one of the premium cable channels last month (forget which one) and I watched it three times: it's one of those movies that you learn more about every time you watch it. They have 12 Monkeys playing every day now.

Gilliam's latest (Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus) would've done well on this list and is in some ways and even more Gilliamish movie than Brazil in that it incorporates the wider variety of his styles.

I'm just glad the article isn't about the Coreys' movie Dream a Little Dream.

gundamrx101

Nov 19, 2010
What? No Paprika? C'mon that movie brilliant and achieves with dreams what most movies fall short of. Brazil rocked my socks, by far it has the best cameo from a well known celebrity ever done in a movie.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
I feel like I am going to set off a powder keg by coming onto this forum, but of all those movies, I have Dreamscape and Somewhere in Time on Instant View and I don't think I have heard of Spellbound, but I did not like Brazil, but I did love Eternal Sunshine, I bought that movie (rewatched it a few months ago, It's like a fine, weird tasting wine) but Brazil didn't do it for me.

Brazil worked like this for me: In almost all my math classes, The answers were always in the back of the book. They never really told you how to do the assignment, they just gave you the answer, and the assignment page had the question. In really simple math lingo, You have "A" and you have "C" on the back page, but "B" is what you need to figure it all out.

With Brazil, I had "A" (The Main plot of it all) and I have "C" (The Understanding of the ending), but I have no idea of what "B" is (How everything in the middle makes heads or tails to anything that happened throughout the entire movie).

I'm not going to say I wouldn't maybe consider watching it again sometime, but perhaps if I had a veteran try to explain it to me (And by then, it's almost like cheating), I might understand it all, but that's my take on that.

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
Altered States should be on this list somewhere :) William Hurt's first film, very odd piece but intriguing. Also Brainstorm with Christopher Walken.

Sikachu

Apr 20, 2010
MovieBob said:
To this day, just shy of a decade later, it remains a career highpoint for everyone involved.
Bit of a big claim in the context of Interview with the Vampire (by far Dunst's most compelling performance), LOTR (which I find irredeemably boring, but many people seem to think is the best thing since sliced bread), and Quills, but I think you certainly have an arguable case.

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
Eternal Sunshine is fantastic but . . .

. . . no Waking Life? Seriously? That's hands-down the best dream movie that's ever been made D:

FullMetalZ

Mar 10, 2011
gundamrx101 said:
What? No Paprika? C'mon that movie brilliant and achieves with dreams what most movies fall short of.
He notes at the beginning that he will avoid anime for this list. Granted, I agree with you on the qualitiy of Paprika.

Going over these, I've only heard of two of them and they're the only ones that really peak my interest (Brazil and Eternal Sunshine).