Rumor: Next Resident Evil is a Tactical Shooter

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Rumor: Next Resident Evil is a Tactical Shooter

Capcom's latest Resident Evil game is going to be a tactical shooter made by the studio behind Sony's latest SOCOM titles.

Capcom's got a lot of Resident Evil games in the oven right now, including a couple of HD remakes and some new 3DS titles. Now, however, it (supposedly) turns out that there are even plans for a new Resident Evil title that will be developed by <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slant_Six_Games>Slant Six Games,<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104927-Rumor-SOCOM-Dev-Working-on-Multiplayer-Resident-Evil> the studio behind the latest SOCOM games. The most surprising news, though, is that the game sounds like it's going to be much more of a run-and-gun event than previous entries in the series have been.

The game is going to be set during the events of Resident Evil 2 and will allow up to four players to work for one of three factions. The big reveal was that players could work for Umbrella, sweeping through Raccoon City as part of a security team that's been charged with hiding evidence of the T-Virus outbreak (this means killing a lot of zombies and, presumably, using survivors as human shields). Aside from the Umbrella team, players will be able to as part of a US Special Ops team, and there will be an option to play as a "bio-organic weapon monster" created by Umbrella, too.

Capcom has revealed the following information about the Umbrella security team:

The Umbrella team is made up of four new characters: Vector, Beltway, Bertha, and Spectre, and the game will play out slightly differently depending on who you choose. Various familiar faces are due to pop up along the way, including Leon Kennedy.

You'll earn XP as you progress, which allows you to earn new abilities, such as Vector's cloaking skill, and weapons.

The other factions have yet to really be detailed, but the game certainly sounds like it'll be a blast. The game is apparently going to be released sometime this Fall for both the PS3 and the 360. Expect more details next month when Capcom holds its annual Captivate event. Official Xbox Magazine is supposedly going to feature the game as its next big cover story, too, and a lot more information is reportedly going to be unveiled then.

Source: StickSkills via <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-24-resident-evil-raccoon-city-confirmed>Eurogamer

Author's Note: This image isn't from Raccoon City, as no new artwork has been released. This screen is from Resident Evil: Revelations.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Whatever happened to HUNK? Perhaps we'll see in this game.

I'm not too confident of it's quality, the Slant Six SOCOM games werent' near as good as Zipper's.

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
Huh, I would have thought that the one called "Spectre" would have the cloaking ability while the one called Vector would have some kind of long range ballistic skill. Bertha would be heavy weapons and Beltway...a jack of all trades?

Regardless I'll be looking forward to the release of this.

TehKnifeh

Custard Connoisseur
Dec 26, 2008
Honestly after reading the post my interest died when it said "you will gain Exp..." sorry but when did modern fps games really need to be lead by the nose of this. In RPG's I can understand, hell I cherish the times I played Disgaea (one) and developed muscle memory from that certain level, but surely not every game needs this. I don't mean to troll but I can't be the only one that thinks this? Can I? Love to hear anyone elses opinions on this

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
STARSssssssss....

I hope there'll be a PC version as well. I'd get it.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
I'm pretty open minded...but it seems like they keep moving RE away from the Survival Horror origins that spawned the original game...

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
Wow...interesting....sound very removed from "Survival Horror" but still worth digging in to....maybe a bit F.E.A.R.-like? I've never played any of the SOCOM games though...hmmm.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Does the series have overarching mysteries still hanging? I would be somewhat pissed if I cared about it and it did - since they seem to be fucking the pie for all its worth.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Tactical shooter, huh? So all hope is lost that next Resident Evil will be a survival horror game. Resident Evil made it's name as a survival horror game. That's why people liked it. I guess it's all about the money today. More people play shooters so let's make it a shooter. Well fuck you very much Capcom.

InfiniteJacuzzi

Mar 13, 2011
Stopped reading after the first few paragraphs. This is the exact opposite of what I, along with a lot of other fans, were hoping for when Capcom said "reboot". Thanks for another giant disappointment, you sell outs.

My only hope for some scares now is Downpour.

Logic 0

Aug 28, 2009
This year is looking to be a great year for games and the new resident evil sounds fun.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
vansau said:
The most surprising news, though, is that the game sounds like it's going to be much more of a run-and-gun event than previous entries in the series have been.

Seriously, Any more shit like this, and COD's Nazi zombies may actually be comparable...

Nedoras

Jan 8, 2010
It kind of sounds like a more action oriented version of the Outbreak games, which I think would be awesome....but I doubt it will be that. The abilities and skills could be implemented well. Implementing them well would be having one characters skill be lockpicking, another can mix herbs and make medicine, one could make custom ammo such as the varieties of grenade rounds, etc. But judging by the announcement of a character that can turn invisible, I guess they went with over the top and flashy skills instead -_- I could be wrong, I hope I am. I'm really hoping this is more of a team survival game where each character relies on the other. Where each character's abilities help the team survive and progress through the game. Here's hoping for the best I guess.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Nedoras said:
It kind of sounds like a more action oriented version of the Outbreak games, which I think would be awesome
Awesome? It sounds like another zombie co-op shooter! One of millions released in the last 3 years. Resident Evil set a standard for survival horror and now they're copying bland zombie shooter games? It's disgraceful to say the least.

Nedoras

Jan 8, 2010
cursedseishi said:
You know, too bad they aren't going for a 3-faction Multiplayer game, sure MAG has 3 factions, but they don't all participate in one fight. It would be interesting to actually see a multiplayer shooter run with the idea.

Could go for a... 4 vs. 8. vs 4 setup (throwing out numbers is all), with the 2 "4"s being the human team and the "8" the infected/zombie team mentioned.

All this currently sounds like, since I haven't heard anything about multiplayer yet, is "Hey, play as 1 of 3 sides through the same sets of levels, wooo!".
Off topic but MAG does have a mode where all the factions participate in one fight.

Nedoras

Jan 8, 2010
ImprovizoR said:
Nedoras said:
It kind of sounds like a more action oriented version of the Outbreak games, which I think would be awesome
Awesome? It sounds like another zombie co-op shooter! One of millions released in the last 3 years. Resident Evil set a standard for survival horror and now they're copying bland zombie shooter games? It's disgraceful to say the least.
I said would be awesome, but it probably won't be. I thought the Outbreak games were really fun, where you had to rely on your team mates abilities as well as your own to get through the game. This game has the potential to be that, but odds are they're going to throw that potential out the window and make it into a bland shooter.