Final Fantasy III (And A Major Sale) Summoned to App Store

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Final Fantasy III (And A Major Sale) Summoned to App Store

Final Fantasy III is on the App Store and is more expensive than an HD movie, but Square Enix has slashed prices on its other games to celebrate the launch.

Square Enix has been bringing some pretty excellent titles to iOS devices lately, both revamps (like Secret of Mana) and quality original games (Crystal Defenders, Chaos Rings, and Song Summoner have all garnered some particularly good reviews). Now, however, the company has announced what is quite possibly its biggest game for the system: Final Fantasy III. While the game is the most expensive iOS game Square-Enix has put out ($15.99), the publisher is slashing prices elsewhere in the App Store.

This is the original Final Fantasy III from Japan that was released in 1990, not the 1994 game that was released in North America on the SNES. The game has been hailed as being what innovated the entire series, as it featured a job system that let characters change classes at any time and also included the ability to summon iconic creatures like Shiva and Bahamut.

This is the full 3D remake of Final Fantasy III that was released back in 2006. Based on the screenshots in the App Store, the game certainly looks visually stunning, and apparently the graphics have been touched up even more for the iPhone's Retina display.

Meanwhile, Square Enix has reduced a number of other iOS titles by over 50% until March 31st. Secret of Mana is now $3.99, Song Summoner is $4.99, Chaos Rings is $5.99, Hills and Rivers Remain is $1.99, and Sliding Heroes is free.

Source: Andriasang

reddfawks

Jul 29, 2010
I probably won't buy it, seeing I still own my copy of FFIII for the DS, but it's still a heck of a lot of fun. =3

Supp

Nov 17, 2009
I'll never understand why it took square 16 years to release this. Its not like its a bad game, or even mediocre. Now if only I owned an i-phone...

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Next on MovieBob:

"The death of the PS3 is at hand, and Square Enix is now pursuing the more profitable hardcore touch screen gamer market, and leaving their core demography with such badly developed titles as FFXIV.

Meanwhile, Nintendo is Jesus reincarnated."

TehKnifeh

Custard Connoisseur
Dec 26, 2008
so.... buy this game because we made the rest of our catalogue cheaper? Well tbh I havent played FF3/6 sO I prob will :D

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
inb4 Chibz.

I really need to play this again. It was pretty fun and unique despite the annoying difficulty curve and rarity of Phoenix Downs. Loved using Toad and Mini to go in areas, it was a really interesting handicap that I wish would be used again.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Shame they didn't mark 3 down to 7.99 for the duration :p

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I was thinking of getting it, but $16? Really? I can get it cheaper than that on DS, which I probably will. I have the first two on iPod Touch and they controls are kinda annoying. Not to mention I'm getting sick of apple...

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I got FF3 on the DS, but I actually found it quite boring. I doubt I'll bother getting it on iPhone (especially seeing as I don't have one; if they release it on Android, I'll also not consider getting it there).

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
If it was under $10 I probably would buy it. I got Chaos Rings for $4.99 that was like the first week I had my iPod Touch, it must have really been on sale.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Overpriced game on an overpriced smart phone with an overpriced service plan? No thanks. I think I'll run instead.

ESCAPED PERFECTLY

Raiyan 1.0 said:
Next on MovieBob:

"The death of the PS3 is at hand, and Square Enix is now pursuing the more profitable hardcore touch screen gamer market, and leaving their core demography with such badly developed titles as FFXIV.

I literally lol'd. Nice one man.

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
I have previously bought the "Song Summoner" game, I have it on my Ipod. It gets erased everytime the battery dies because I accidentally washed it once. Was it EVER less than five bucks? I don't think they changed the price at all, if they did, it's by a dollar. It's a cool game but definitely not worth five bucks. Ipods that aren't touch get crap for games.

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
I have it on the DS so I won't really be considering this, but it's nice to see it being made available to non-dedicated platforms that are more associated with casual gaming. Whole different demographics that have never even heard of FFIII can now explore retro JRPG, assuming they're prepared to pay $15 for the privilege and can navigate to it without specifically knowing it's name. I don't much like the app stores interface, it's very unhelpful.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Next on MovieBob:

I've heard of poor reading comprehension.

But poor show comprehension is something entirely new to me.

As for the original point, it's a good game but I don't see myself buying it a third time.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
theultimateend said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Next on MovieBob:

I've heard of poor reading comprehension.

But poor show comprehension is something entirely new to me.
What, are you talking about MovieBob's prediction of how the PC will change in form entirely, making the term 'PC gaming' redundant? Hmmm?

Then maybe you can go tell him to change the title to 'Gaming will change in the future' from that trollish 'PC gaming is dead'. Some consistency in tense will be appreciated.

Fact is, his aim was to create an inflammatory title to rack up views. He was simply trolling us. And I'm trolling back.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
Because of my childhood- Final Fantasy III still means Final Fantasy VI.

I had a huge surge of excitement followed by an extreme decline from disappointment