Woman Hires Hitman Online, Gets Busted

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Woman Hires Hitman Online, Gets Busted

A woman in Pennsylvania used her PayPal account to hire a guy on hitmanforhire.com and might face 56 years in prison.

Back in 2006, twenty-eight year old Marissa Mark decided she wanted someone dead. So she did what any sensible person would do to find an assassin for hire, she went to the internet. Searching for "news articles [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/tag/hitman?from_search=1], but Mark finally stumbled upon a website called "hitmanforhire.com" and arranged for a man only identified as "person No. 1" to shoot a Californian woman in the head for $37,000.

She used pilfered credit card accounts to exchange $19k through PayPal, with the promise to hand over the balance when the job was done. Even though Mark provided the initials of the target (A.L.R) and the woman's work address, the target wasn't physically harmed before the authorities stopped the plot. After collecting all the evidence it could, the U.S. Attorney's office finally indicted Marissa Mark this week on eight counts including conspiracy and use of interstate commerce facilities in the commission of murder for hire, aggravated identity theft, attempted access device fraud, and aiding and abetting. If she's found guilty of all counts, Mark could face a maximum sentence of 56 years in prison.

At last year's Triangle Games Conference, [user]Susan Arendt[/user] heard a talk from lawyer Greg Boyd about how important it is to think about money laundering [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/context-sensitive/7394-Virtual-Property-Can-Help-You-Kill-Your-Wife] when designing online economies in MMOs. If you can buy a sword with real money and can transfer it to someone else, coupled with the ability to "cash out," then it's theoretically possible for criminal organizations to launder funds through your game.

You might think that someone using a videogame that way is a pretty far-fetched worry, but Mark's case proves that if an act is possible, someone will eventually try to carry it out. Marissa Mark circumvented all the skullduggery and subterfuge that Boyd proposed by directly using all of the tools that the internet provides (ease of communication, convenient transactions) to carry out a grisly murder.

Online game-makers usually try to discourage transfer of real funds for ingame currency, but a secondary market still exists. How far are we from someone using isk in EVE Online or gold in WoW to do something similar?

Source: Morning Call [http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-allentown-pa-hitman-20110322,0,290952.story]

Thanks to [user]The_root_of_all_evil[/user] for the tip.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
If you're dumb enough to go on a site called "hitmanforhire.com", you deserve to get caught. I mean come on, at least one law enforcement agency has to be monitoring that thing.

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
What has the world come to when you cant even trust hitmans anymore. :<

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
mjc0961 said:
If you're dumb enough to go on a site called "hitmanforhire.com", you deserve to get caught. I mean come on, at least one law enforcement agency has to be monitoring that thing.
I was sorta expecting the site to have been created by law enforcement specifically for that purpose.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
Wait a minute... there are actually websites for hiring assassins? Whose bright idea was that?

almostgold

Dec 1, 2009
Holy hell, people, look for pest control if you want a hitman. I thought this was established by now. Look up pest control and ask about large mammal removal. Learn how to pay for murder right, people.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Random berk said:
Wait a minute... there are actually websites for hiring assassins? Whose bright idea was that?
I doubt there's any on the surface web. I remember seeing some "Assassin Networks" over on TOR before. But they're all apparently impossible to connect to. And probably not even running anymore.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
On the one hand, BLOODY GOOD she got caught and I hope she goes down for the rest of her natural life.

Secondly, so what happened with this Person Number One? Is he real? Is he still on the loose?

dan-wah

Dec 21, 2010
thaluikhain said:
mjc0961 said:
I was sorta expecting the site to have been created by law enforcement specifically for that purpose.
metoo, im suprised the FBI didn't flag it as soon as the domain name was registered....

On a side note, surely any sane person would realise that the net is probably the worst place to do that shit..... i mean come on, a shady meeting in the park/ a dimly lit underground car park are the best places to be arranging/paying for assassinations aint they?? Saying that, if she's trying to arrange a hit, she can't be that sane.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Almost reminds me of that girl who hired her brother in law to kill her next door neighbor in hopes of her daughter winning the cheer leading contest. Ho well, another bat shit crazy girl possibly off the streets.

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
Random berk said:
Yeah.. That was exactly what i thought too..
And such a website would seem as a very good way to get busted..

Animyr

Jan 11, 2011
There's a hitman hiring site? And people are stupid enought to use it?

Is this a joke? Or am I underestimating the degree to which the desire that drives someone to hire a hitman in the first place cloud's ones judgement?

Feb 13, 2008
Interestingly, Paypal have just sent me an email talking about Domino's Pizza Delivery.

I don't think I'll answer the door to the delivery driver though...just in case...