Nintendo Responds to 3DS Headache Complaints

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Nintendo Responds to 3DS Headache Complaints

Nintendo has some advice for the "hundreds" of gamers complaining about headaches resulting from use of the new 3DS [http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-3DS-Cosmo-Black/dp/B002I096AA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1301340164&sr=8-2] handheld console: take a break, Brainiac.

Have you heard the one about the guy who goes to his doctor, throws his arm up in the air and says, "It hurts when I do this," and then the doctor says, "So don't do that?" That's pretty much Nintendo's advice to gamers who have been complaining that the 3DS is literally causing them headaches.

"We have shown Nintendo 3DS at multiple events around the world to literally hundreds of thousands of people and have received very few negative comments," Robert Saunders, Nintendo's head of communications, said in response to a collection of Tweets complaining about the device posted on on MaxConsole [http://www.maxconsole.net/content.php?45283-Hundreds-of-gamers-complain-of-horrible-3DS-headaches].

"As with anything that requires focus, from reading to staring at a computer screen, taking frequent breaks is always recommended," he continued. "When viewing any kind of 3D images (TV, movies etc.), some people might experience minor discomfort. The effects are short term and have no lasting effect, in fact most players can continue after taking a short break. The Nintendo 3D was designed with a 3D depth slider that lets users adjust the 3D effect to a level that suits them for optimum enjoyment."

All joking aside, it's pretty reasonable advice. Just as it is with first-person shooters, an unlucky few are likely to suffer immediate and unavoidable effects while using the 3DS, at least in 3D mode, but for most of us it's a pretty simple matter. If you're feeling dizzy or getting a headache, put it down and go do something else. It really ain't that complicated.

Source: MaxConsole [http://www.maxconsole.net/content.php?45324-Nintendo-responds-to-3DS-headache-complaints]

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
But if everyone was thinking in common sense then who to blame if you only have yourself to blame?

Madness!

If it gives you headaches...don't play, take a break...obvious, really.

ddrfr33k

Nov 11, 2010
Well sure, that's a reasonable response to make. But when I get a headache from playing the thing for 90 seconds, surely something's gotta give. Not to mention that I don't suffer the same headaches when I see a movie at the theater in 3D or look at a Magic Eye.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
I can't even imagine any other approach to addressing these complaints. I mean, even if some people just can't use 3D at all... then what, are they just going to start refunding anyone who didn't know that the 3DS was a 3D platform? Hell, you can turn off the 3D if you don't like it.

I just... I don't even know what else to say other than "uh-DOOOOIIIIY?!"

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
I dunno about anyone else, but I've yet to have any serious problems, headaches or otherwise, while playing with full 3D on, and I will forever be thankful for that. It looks damn pretty.

Matt K

Sep 18, 2010
I actually tried one out a few days ago and I got pretty bad eye ache within a few seconds.

Not that I was even considering getting one at the moment, I guess I can just skip this system. No reason to pay $250 when I can't use the only reason to get it (3D).

Perhaps when some must have titles come out I'll change my mind, but I kind of hope that Nintendo doesn't go all in with the 3DS.

bomblord

Mar 16, 2011
I got a headache the first day but it was my own fault moving the 3d slider up and dwn trying to find my comfort zone and moving my head all over the place

Once i figured it out i haven't had aproblem since

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
BREAKING NEWS: Nintendo's New Console Makes You Blind!?

...hundreds are reported to have lost their sight after extended use of the new Nintendo 3DS...

Wait. Watch. It will happen! O_O

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Well if people read the setup that you have to go through when you get the thing they would already know that you should set the 3D slider to your liking, and that it can be turned OFF.... but when has ANYONE EVER read signs/warnings/information?

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
For a minute I thought this was gonna be about the black screen thing from earlier, but yeah when playing a game becomes physically painful it's time to stop for about 30min. Or you know shut your eyes for a few minutes and give them a rest.

Or keep playing until they bleed...yeah that sounds good. *returns to Beat Hazard [http://store.steampowered.com/app/49600/?snr=1_4_4__13]* Uh oh, I think I feel another seizure coming on.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Bleh, i already have a perpetual headache bolstered by obnoxious family and loud cats.

Im pretty sure ive been starting at glowing screens for a significant fraction of my life now, im sure the 3DS wont prove much different.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Some games on the 3DS make my head hurt, others don't affect me at all. A mere five minutes of Ridge Racer was enough to leave me feeling genuinely ill for about a half hour - and it was the first game I'd played, so it wasn't a "take a break" situation. It depends on how the 3D is being implemented, how much motion is involved, and how forgiving the 3D is - all of which varies greatly from game to game.

Nargleblarg

Jun 24, 2008
I played the 3DS for 10 minutes and got a headache for an hour. I believe that wearing glasses may possibly increase it's negative effects, but who knows.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Have you heard the one about the guy who goes to his doctor, throws his arm up in the air and says, "It hurts when I do this," and then the doctor says, "So don't do that?" That's pretty much Nintendo's advice to gamers who have been complaining that the 3DS is literally causing them headaches.
Except that, in the joke, the patient wasn't sold a device specifically marketed, branded, and NAMED in a way that enticed him put his arm up in the air in order to get his money's worth...

Susan Arendt said:
Some games on the 3DS make my head hurt, others don't affect me at all. A mere five minutes of Ridge Racer was enough to leave me feeling genuinely ill for about a half hour - and it was the first game I'd played, so it wasn't a "take a break" situation. It depends on how the 3D is being implemented, how much motion is involved, and how forgiving the 3D is - all of which varies greatly from game to game.
That sounds like the inner-ear thing we sensitive types get with first person shooters. Warm face? Feels like your eyes are buried in the back of your head? Nausea and a flat metal taste in the mouth? Yeah, that seems like inverse kinetosis, pretty much. That will happen with motion even on non-3D specific devices, for certain. The 3D effects are likely contributory, but the base condition of "wacky motion" probably has to exist for most people to start having issues.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
A case of "it's not for everyone?"

I mean, it sucks if 3D effects hurt your head and/or eyes... but then, just don't do it. It's not like voodoo trickery magic and it's melting your brain.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
"We have shown Nintendo 3DS at multiple events around the world to literally hundreds of thousands of people and have received very few negative comments,"

They forgot to add they didn't let them play for very long, and after 20 minutes that's when problems are likely to start happening with people as I've gathered.