Dragon Age Comes Over All Malevolent in Fan Film Teaser Trailer

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Dragon Age Comes Over All Malevolent in Fan Film Teaser Trailer

Woods, sword fights and lots and lots of blood: Yep, it's a Dragon Age fan film alright.

It seems that Felicia Day isn't the only person making a Dragon Age web series [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107766-Felicia-Day-to-Star-in-Dragon-Age-Web-Series-UPDATED]. Film maker Leo Kei Angelos has also decided to try his hand at live action dark fantasy. But where Day has the backing of the developers, and some money behind her, Angelos' work - called Dragon Age: Malevolence - is utterly unauthorized and make on a budget of around zero dollars.

Angelos describes the work as an original piece that fits in with the themes of the Dragon Age games. He said that it had been difficult to make the film on a tiny budget, but the team had worked hard and been smart with its resources, and had managed to pull it off. He added that he wasn't trying to compete with Day's series - which is called Dragon Age: Redemption - rather, he was a dedicated fan of games who wanted to show his appreciation.

As for the trailer itself, it's too brief to really get a sense of what's going on beyond "blond girl with facial tattoo getting chased in snowy woods." The costumes look remarkably good, and the snippets of combat look quite exciting, but there's no indication of who anyone is, or why the chasing is happening in the first place. Angelos says that he is finishing off the movie at the moment, and it should be ready in the next few months.

Source: Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/dragon-age-gets-the-live-action-fan-movie-treatment-197451.phtml?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Destructoid+%28Destructoid%29]

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Heh.

I guess it just wouldn't be Dragon Age without blood spattered faces.

gellert1984

Apr 16, 2009
As for the trailer itself, it's too brief to really get a sense of what's going on beyond "blond girl with facial tattoo kicking ass in snowy woods."
fixed that for you:D

This looks interesting, probably worth a watch, how soon is 'coming soon' though?

Nejira

Oct 16, 2009
Heh, judging from the trailers along this actually looks better than the "official" movie/webseries.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
Looks very well made. Much better than most fanfilms i know. (and i know and like a lot, you just cant watch them like you watch a regular tv or cinema production. Maybe it helps if you ever played theatre and tried to create something "real" looking)
One of the best ones ive seen still got the common problem of looking way to clean.
Well it was a Dark Eye fanfilm (the rpg behind the http://drakensang.com/ games) and thats by far not as grim and bloody as Dragonage, but still you cant act a medieval scene with beaming clean clothing ( but hey they managed to get a christopher lee cameo, that outweights it a little ^^)
So the Athmopshere set here just works way better(if still not perfect), its more believable. Most Fanfilms look like what they are. LARPers with a lot of good intensions, but not willing to waste their expensive costumes.

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
Wow. I like this a lot. A whole lot. Reminds me of that redone Star Trek: Original Series Franchise.

Dragonborne88

Oct 26, 2009
As the other poster said, still looks better to me then the Felicia Day one. That one reeked of terrible as soon as I saw it announced.

Best Fantasy series goes out to Journey Quest though. It's more a comedy then dark fantasy, but I still love it so.

A link if you wanna check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVORGr2fDk8

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
People drawing swords, kicking each other in the crotch, shouting and lots of blood.

You know, I'm not really seeing the appeal of these Dragon Age expanded universe things, be they fan made or official. Especially since the lore is about as stable as a house of cards in a washing monsoon. But hey, I guess the best marketing conquers all.

Don't mind me, I'm just bitter because no one's made a live action fan/official Anachronox movie.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
josemlopes said:
The blood. So much blood.

PS: I know that the game was like that.
As gratuitous as it is, it's become a staple for the series. Personally, I find it annoying. Makes the experience feel cheap.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Jbird said:
josemlopes said:

As gratuitous as it is, it's become a staple for the series. Personally, I find it annoying. Makes the experience feel cheap.
Me too. I turned it off ASAP. It caused this huge disconnect for me...I just sat there thinking "How can these people I'm talking to take me seriously when I look like this?"

Lacsapix

Apr 16, 2010
BabyRaptor said:
Jbird said:
josemlopes said:

Me too. I turned it off ASAP. It caused this huge disconnect for me...I just sat there thinking "How can these people I'm talking to take me seriously when I look like this?"
I remember quote's as "It is a shame a man like you hasn't married yet!" when your body is covered in blood.

Still the trailer got me an the good end, although it seems like LARP with blood effects.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
BabyRaptor said:
Jbird said:
josemlopes said:

I keep forgetting there's that option >_>

Shellsh0cker

Defender of the English Language
Oct 22, 2008
Wow, that looks really impressive. I'll probably check this out, despite not being a fan of the actual games.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
I have yet to see a fan-made film which was any good at all. On any scale.
The element of fandom tends to cloud the filmmaker's judgement, and instead of focusing on actual content, it winds up a self-masturbatory display in reverential awe of the source.
Watchmen, Silent Hill and Kill Bill are perfect examples of this phenomenon.
I respect the ambition of the people involved, but I see nothing which would suggest this is anything remarkable.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Jbird said:
josemlopes said:

Noooo, it makers the experience seem rather realistic. Of course you would have blood splattered on your armor and parts of your body after fighting twenty guys! (Especially in DA2 where your opponents have a tendency to literary explode into a fog of smoke and guts), what makes the experience feel cheap is that it is there one cut-scene, and the very next (half a minute later), everything is gone.