AMD to nVidia: Put Up or Shut Up

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
AMD to nVidia: Put Up or Shut Up

The gloves are off, and graphics card maker AMD has called out rival nVidia on its claim of making the fastest video card in the world.

In a video posted yesterday, nVidia, one of the leading makers of graphics cards used in PCs, claimed that its new product, the GeForce GTX 590, is the "World's Fastest Graphics Card." AMD, nVidia's primary rival in high-end graphics cards, says that title belongs to its newest product, the Radeon HD 6990 and is challenging nVidia to put up or shut up.

"When we launched [our card], we issued a press release in which we proudly called it the 'World's Fastest Graphics Card' and fully disclosed the basis upon which we made that claim," reads AMD's official blog.

"Yesterday, our competitor also issued a press release, announcing the launch of what they claim to be the 'World's Fastest Graphics Card'- the Nvidia GTX 590. We combed through their announcement to understand how it was that such a claim could be made and why there was no substantiation based on industry-standard benchmarks," wrote AMD's Dave Erskine.

He then issued nVidia a challenge: Show us your proof. Give us the numbers that show the GTX 590 is faster then the Radeon 6990. "As it stands today, leading reviewers agree with us that the AMD Radeon HD 6990 sits on the top as the world's fastest graphics card," he wrote, citing several benchmark test results.

No word yet from nVidia, but I must say it's rather refreshing to see such blatant rivalry after putting up with years of the snide, backhanded sniping between certain console developers.

Source: CVG [http://blogs.amd.com/play/2011/03/25/2056/]

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
Come on! Some good honest, face to face competition.

How sad is it that this is so refreshing?

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
This should be fun.
Like really I cannot remember the last time something like this happened. I really wish that companies would have competitions where they put their products up against each other to see whose is better. But then again thats bad marketing.

Pebsy

Jun 12, 2008
rooting for AMD, and this is awesome too see and is marketing based on the genuine quality of the product, not marketing skills. (and by quality I simply mean raw power, who knows how many issues loading one of those bad boys into your rig would cause, the sheer size and weight might break an unprepared motherboard lol)

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
I'd quite like to see the graphics cards fight in a Scott Pilgrim manner... Anyone? No? Just me?

Fair enough...

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Wait...so these guys who have been going back and forth as to who has the better graphics card for years just randomly decided to "call each other out" over the newest cards? Sounds like a cheap marketing ploy to me...

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Looks like it's time for the CEOs to slick back their hair, throw on their leather jackets, and take their switchblades to the abandoned Tech Park.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Pointless contest. Who buys such a card anyway?

Best bang/buck in the upper mainstream and the cheapest high end ranges is the only thing that matters.
Recent games will run fast on high detail on high end cards from 2 generations back and mainstream cards of this gen.

spillblood

Feb 8, 2011
AMD have really been the front runners for years and everyone knows it now, Nvidia have always been a market hype company like mac, sony etcrar. Hopefully this will make Nvidia think twice before it feeds its fanbase with more lies but then again if consumers eat up one slogan they are likely to eat up them all.

Give it 2 years and intel will buy Nvidia's gpu line once they successfully hit rock bottom, Mark my words dont believe just watch their share ticker. There basic company is not built to take the hard hit from AMD. Just look at BFG cards per example. Nvidia aims at making the same if not increasing profit every year fooling even themselfs that there product line is better then the competion.

mehh fun anyway nice to see rivaly again aye.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
I have being an "Nvidia" nut over the years, but... i am fairly interested in the response of Nvidia, perhaps it will change my oppinion on which graphics card i was going to upgrade...

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
spillblood said:
AMD have really been the front runners for years and everyone knows it now, Nvidia have always been a market hype company like mac, sony etcrar. Hopefully this will make Nvidia think twice before it feeds its fanbase with more lies but then again if consumers eat up one slogan they are likely to eat up them all.

Give it 2 years and intel will buy Nvidia's gpu line once they successfully hit rock bottom, Mark my words dont believe just watch their share ticker. There basic company is not built to take the hard hit from AMD. Just look at BFG cards per example. Nvidia aims at making the same if not increasing profit every year fooling even themselfs that there product line is better then the competion.

mehh fun anyway nice to see rivaly again aye.
Agreed, AMD has been ahead in the hardware game for a few years now. Just look at the power and heat that nVidia cards need and put out.

I am looking forward to their Mobo/GPU products

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Fantastic. Then if I ever find myself with £600 I know which one to buy. Heck why not buy 3?

I'm pretty sure they'll release a new architecture shortly anyway so it's a bit of a moot point. Though I'm sure they're both damn good cards. Put my 460 to shame.