Nintendo Calls US 3DS Launch a Smashing Success

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Nintendo Calls US 3DS Launch a Smashing Success

Without calling out specific numbers, Nintendo said the 3DS launch was the most successful its ever had for a handheld.

An undisclosed, but apparently large, number of people across the United States plopped down $250 to get their hands on that tasty 3D goodness. Nintendo has launched a few very successful handhelds in the past, but it seems that the launch of the 3DS this weekend beats out the Game Boy and the DS. Specific numbers will be announced by an independent third party next week, but Nintendo released an encouraging statement today.

"U.S. day-one sales numbers for Nintendo 3DS were the highest of any Nintendo hand-held system in our history," the statement read.

"More details about U.S. sales numbers will be made public on April 14, when first-week U.S. sales figures will be tallied by the independent NPD Group. Nintendo worked hard to get as much product as possible to retailers on day one to meet demand, and we will continue with these efforts moving forward."

While I was excited as the next guy for Nintendo's shiny new device, the lack of compelling launch titles and the big price-tag convinced me to wait on purchasing one. After reading about the lackluster attendance at Nintendo's launch event in New York City this weekend [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/misc/8751-Midnight-3DS-Launch-Underwhelms-in-New-York], I wonder where all the people clamoring for the 3DS live. Are there more Nintendo fanboys in Idaho than there are in New York?

It's not that I think Nintendo is lying, but the numbers they are using to compare launches might be a little skewed. For example, Reggie Fils-Aime, President of Nintendo America, said they worked hard to insure that stores didn't run out of stock like they did with the Wii. Whether Nintendo is talking about the "sell-through" numbers, or the actual number of units sold to consumers makes a big difference.

We'll have to wait for the official numbers to make a call.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/29/nintendo-claims-best-first-day-us-handheld-sales-ever-for-3ds/]

Apr 28, 2008
Well, New York isn't the only state in the US you know. Just because it flopped one place, doesn't mean it flopped everywhere else.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
I was actually told by the employees at my local Gamestop this past Saturday to wait to buy one in June or July when all the first party Nintendo titles start coming out cause unless I was a huge street fight fan there really wasn't much worth mentioning in the launch line up.

I find it hard to believe though that their sales were higher than any other handheld they'd made. I only have one friend who went out and bought it on launch day, but he's been a die-hard Nintendo fan since we were kids. I'd believe their sales were certainly high, after all the die-hard fans will always be there to buy stuff, but I can't see it being as big as the Wii was when it came out.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Working for a game retailer and, working on Sunday, launch day, my co-workers and I were a bit surprised by how slow we were. Not to say we were dead but for the release of a console like the 3DS, we were expecting a rush. The midnight release ended around 1 (way earlier than many triple-A game releases) and at the moment, we have over a dozen consoles left (unreserved and most of them being blue)

I'm holding off personally because A) I'm sure a special ed console will be released with either Mario 3D, Mario Kart 3D or, Ocarina of Time 3D and B) My store doesn't give me a discount on new consoles.

Hell, on Monday Morning a guy actually came in and returned his brand new 3DS. He had good reason though: his 6 year old daughter would get dizzy while playing it but still!

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I would buy it today except I have no money AND nintendo makes a habit of releasing better 1.1 versions of their handhelds.

Still I'm not sure how the form factor can get any better.

Jimmyjames

Jan 4, 2008
I'd be shocked it it did very well.

I took a look at it last Saturday and was surprised to find plenty of them still available.

I was actually really shocked how uncomfortable it was looking at that screen. It reminded me of how you had to half-cross your eyes to see those old 3D noise posters. Very unfortunately, going to pass on this one.

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
250$? That's half the price I have to pay for it... Stop complaining about the price, bloody yanks.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
I'm not surprised, most people said that they would wait until they've had a chance to thoroughly try it before plopping down. After all, the selling point is the 3D, and if that doesn't work well then it's a total bust.

Good news? I'll soon be able to buy a DS Lite for cheap! I still have the brick that was the first generation. It has served me well, but its portability is relatively debatable. Plus, new features! I think.

DjInvictus

Nov 10, 2009
I've been pretty surprised by the number of units I've seen sitting in stores, myself. I bought one at launch, and I'm loving it. Reaction from most people that bought one has been pretty positive. I think Nintendo's going to be relying on a lot of word-of-mouth and hands-on buzz to generate sales. It sure isn't an easy thing to advertise.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Not surprised to be honest, each new handheld Nintendo makes gets more successful than the last and I doubt that trend is stopping here.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
I wish I had munny...

Still probably going to pick it up though, may have to do a few "deeds" for the cash though.

(Like selling my body for spare change D:)

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
From what I've seen of it, it's going to continue to be successful as well. Advertising might be difficult, but it's worth what they ask. Soon as the lineup increases, I'll be picking one up myself.

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
frankly, beside stuff like handheld remakes of Oricana of Time etc, i see little to no reason personally to so much as want one

Sep 17, 2009
I don't know if this is true guys...I mean listen to what this guy has to say, he is a hardcore gamer, he grew up playing Halo!

http://money.cnn.com/video/technology/2011/03/23/t-tt-nintendo-3ds-review.fortune/

OT: I doubt the sales will be that high, but after the good titles come out it'll skyrocket.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
if I remember right the ds didnt exactly fly off store shelves right away either but the longer it was out the more demand for it grew

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I'm so lost how this thing sold at all with launch titles that are compromised of tech demos and enhanced older games, especially with a 250 dollar price tag.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Irridium said:
Well, New York isn't the only state in the US you know. Just because it flopped one place, doesn't mean it flopped everywhere else.
And one store in New York City is, well, just one store. And just because the line wasn't stretching for miles and miles doesn't even mean that it flopped there to begin with.

Anyway, if NoA is being honest about this, then I guess Nintendo made the right call with the price. It costs so much because you are excited to buy it, Iwata says. And buy it so many people out there in the world did. They were right and now the 3DS is already printing them money.

Let's just hope their next home console isn't FIVE HUNDRED NINETY NINE US DOLLARS! because of the great results they had with the 3DS's "high because you want this really bad" price.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
chstens said:
250$? That's half the price I have to pay for it... Stop complaining about the price, bloody yanks.
Our price is still ridiculous, but the price that you would have to pay is astronomical, so we should BOTH complain about the price! :D