StarCraft Players Parody M.I.A. Song with "Fly Like Aiur"

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
StarCraft Players Parody M.I.A. Song with "Fly Like Aiur"

You wouldn't think a song by British vocalist M.I.A. featuring gunshots and taking money would translate to the Protoss in StarCraft II but it kinda works.

The StarCraft II community has come up with some awesome stuff. All the custom maps and minigames created with the in-game editor have been thoroughly enjoyable, but it's videos like the parody of Justin Bieber's song "Baby" changed to "Banelings" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105502-Incredible-StarCraft-II-Justin-Bieber-Parody-Zerg-Rushes-YouTube] - featuring the SC2 commentator Husky - that really show dedication. In that same vein comes another parody, this time using the M.I.A. song "Paper Planes," featuring the Protoss race and the desire to "Psi-storm yer armee."

As far as video parodies go, "Fly Like Aiur" is oddly catchy. Maybe it's the vocals by Mallory Peyton that recreates the female British accent in the original song or the weird fade out of "winner" around 40 seconds in that deftly matches up to M.I.A.'s performance. The StarCraft reference are all pretty spot-on too - sometimes Feedback is lame.

Whatever it is, the song's going to be hard to get out of my head. "All I wanna do ... Vortex yer army."

I guess I'm just a sucker for a British accent.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Good god I can't even imagine pulling off moves like that. For me, right-clicking to attack is as far as I can plan. Perhaps that's why I'm so bad at RTS games? :p

Cpt Corallis

Apr 14, 2009
I much prefer the parodies of this song to the original, so much more inventive!

Don't Normally do this but Captcha: 1Attat members ? Seems like some subliminal messaging there Escapist! ;D

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
That... Was satisfying. Just watching that video gave me a sensation of ownage, well done!

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
Is that song on iTunes?
Its awesome haha :D rly rly catchy.
Charlie Sheen called me after he watched it and was like: DUDE THAT SONG IS WINNING!

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
I still cringed here and there at the accent, but that was pretty awesome!

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
That was pretty damn epic. Better than MIA live, which i saw by accident. :p Anyways; British accents are pretty awesome, I have to agree.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Man, I thought I understood Starcraft... None of that made any sense to me... Wow =)

But cool parody song. In fact, it's probably better than the original.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
Maybe it's partly because I don't understand StarCraft. Maybe it's partly because I've never heard the original song. But I actually really found that song to be grating and annoying.

And I know I'm a small minority so I obviously can't call it "bad", I just personally couldn't listen past about the halfway point.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
The singing is absolutely horrible. Also, the chorus, which is supposed to be the most memorable part of that song in particular ( It's what's most remembered from the original Paper Planes ) is so weak. It should've been as loud as the original. I appreciate it's hard to match a gunshot and cash register, but the psi-storm sound effect is just so weak. Not to mention using "and uh..." as part of the lyrics is simply terrible writing and comes off as incredibly forced. I would've actually chosen to do it on Terran and use "All i wanna do is Boom, Boom, Boom! And nuke your army..." but that's just me...

That said, it's still a fun song, i appreciate that parodies aren't meant to have the best musical talent out there, and the majority of the lyrics were clever and catchy. I always enjoy parodies, and while it's not quite on par with Banelings, it's still certainly up there and i'd like to see more in the future.

Dangerbean

Jan 18, 2010
For the last time only 19th century cockneys pronounce army, ARM-AY! In england today it is said like ARM-EE

Dangerbean

Jan 18, 2010
For the last time only 19th century cockneys pronounce army, ARM-AY! Its enland today it is said like ARM-EE

katsumoto03

Feb 24, 2010
Hey! This person isn't unbearable to listen to like whoever sung the original!

Kudos for making an awesome video.