Sony's Free Realms Established on the PS3

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Sony's Free Realms Established on the PS3

Sony's kid-friendly MMO leaps from the PC to console with a free download off the PlayStation Network.

First, DC Universe Online broke ground by being the first American MMO to be played on both PCs and a seventh generation console. Now Sony Online Entertainment is betting that its free to play MMO will make money through microtransactions powered by Sony's online currency Station Cash. Free Realms currently has grown to serve 17 million registered users since it launched on PC in 2009, but John Smedley's crew down in Austin hopes that number will grow even more now that the MMO is available to download for free on the PS3.

"Our games extend the current lifecycle of the console with the added value offer of bringing tens of thousands of people together, in a game world, to socialize at community events, compete in combat activities and engage in a diversity of gameplay experiences, for years to come," said John Smedley, president of Sony Online Entertainment.

I didn't realize that Sony was looking for ways to "extend the current lifecycle" of its flagship console. Wasn't that what Move was intended to do?

Still, Smedley has bet hard on the free-to-play model for its online games, and so far it has been successful. With the casual Free Realms now on the PS3, that model will most likely serve Sony very well. There's something wonky about an MMO trying to gain users by having such a large barrier of entry.

My subscription to DCUO expired when I didn't pay the 15 bucks it asked for. When that game goes free-to-play - not "if" - I will certainly be more inclined to pick it up again.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
It's decent fun...But with a clear kid-friendly focus. If anyone complains about how shallow it is, they're kinda missing the point.

The minigames for cooking and mining classes are actually quite fun. The combat classes are functional, but still quite boring. Mash [], hit /\, mash [], hit O. I think you only really use those three buttons. I've seen no hints of additional skill mapping.

Haven't tried anything else yet...This game really requires a membership if you want to see a lot of the content. I've already seen dozens of members only quest givers...

Only played for 2-3 hours, though.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
I recall playing it on PC. It was decent.
But the controls were set up in a way that it could only be played on a Keyboard, On a controller, it'd be a cluster-fuck.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
dylanmc12 said:
But the controls were set up in a way that it could only be played on a Keyboard, On a controller, it'd be a cluster-fuck.
They made it work.

X is jump. [] is talk to NPCs, or attack in combat.

Nothing fancy. Emotes are all on R1 and L1. L2 brings up the keyboard. L3 toggles the chat window. Select bring up a comprehensive menu. Start does the usual options stuff. R2 does the "Take me there" feature. Which will teleport you close to your objective, or automatically move your character to the goal, if in range.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
dylanmc12 said:
They made it work.

X is jump. [] is talk to NPCs, or attack in combat.

Nothing fancy. Emotes are all on R1 and L1. L2 brings up the keyboard. L3 toggles the chat window. Select bring up a comprehensive menu. Start does the usual options stuff. R2 does the "Take me there" feature. Which will teleport you close to your objective, or automatically move your character to the goal, if in range.
Yeah the controlls work quite well. I plan to play more, might get a full-time membership forever if I really like it. I mean its only just $35 and for less then a full game. :) But probably won't do that for awhile.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I thought the PS3 WAS their expansion plan. It was supposed to be viable after the other seventh gen consoles bit the dust, right? Right?

Anyway, cool. I might give this a whirl, just to see if it's any fun. Certainly can't hurt.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Greg Tito said:
I didn't realize that Sony was looking for ways to "extend the current lifecycle" of its flagship console.
Could've fooled me too, I get the feeling that they're just trying to run the thing into the ground. I don't know about anyone else but my ps3 only seems to lose features.

Still, this is a step in the right direction... for once.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Greg Tito said:
I didn't realize that Sony was looking for ways to "extend the current lifecycle" of its flagship console.
Could've fooled me too, I get the feeling that they're just trying to run the thing into the ground. I don't know about anyone else but my ps3 only seems to lose features.

At least, this is a step in the right direction... for once.