Maximum Color

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
agreed colour is good doesnt mean we cant have grey and brown in the games as needed but colour is nice to have too.

JimmyC99

Jul 7, 2010
"If I can deliver a bit of a beating to one of last year's sacred cows: Mass Effect 2"

We've all or should all have seen your lets play of this game Shamus, you insult ME2 is like Ruts trolling mumbles. oh but rightly so of course Sci-Fi Liner shooter with a strange plot that i still seam to want to defend.

speaking of colour, Fallout suffers imo from the worse case of brown shooteritis, simply because the world was huge and everything was grey/brown and bland, if we took a pan from two parts of the wasteland you'd struggle to tell someone which is in zone 1 and which is zone 9. its like their entire colour budget went into Oasis, which was severl shades of green instead of brown/grey, different but would have been even better if there was the odd rose bush or vibrant radioactive man eating daisy.

edit: note i dont mean make everything zany and mad, but hell the real world is a bland uninteresting mess, id rather games add some vibrancy to it sure have grey and brown but not just grey and brown.

Apr 28, 2008
James Charles said:
speaking of colour, Fallout suffers imo from the worse case of brown shooteritis, simply because the world was huge and everything was grey/brown and bland, if we took a pan from two parts of the wasteland you'd struggle to tell someone which is in zone 1 and which is zone 9. its like their entire colour budget went into Oasis, which was severl shades of green instead of brown/grey, different but would have been even better if there was the odd rose bush or vibrant radioactive man eating daisy.
Once I instealled the Fellout Mod(the one that removes the green tint from everything) I was astounded at how different things looked. Was even more striking with Greenworld.

I love mods.

OT: Agreed. Color can have drastic effects on things.. Its a great thing about Crysis 2(that, and being able to see your own feet). I thought it was going to be all grey and metal and brown... glad to see I was wrong.

Hopefully more games focus on color and a strong art style, rather than pure graphical power. If you have a good style, you won't need uber-graphics. And that means your game will be cheaper to make, run on more PC's which means more people can/will buy it, need to sell less copies to break even, and could charge less, which would mean even MORE sales. And if it doesn't sell that well, at least its not a massive flop.

Its basically a win no matter what.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Funny how Crysis 2 looks like a grey shooter compared to Crysis 1. I hate its lack of flora.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/11/march/cry/crypic1.jpg

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/11/march/cry/crypic2.jpg

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
Generally being blind to most visual cues in games even I thanked Crytek half way through for making all the alien tec have red glowing lights on. Don't get me wrong here, I HATE the bland humanoid aliens that now replace the old inventive flying design. But the red coloring makes distinguishing friendly from foe-ly far less tedious which keeps the flow goin.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Funny how Crysis 2 looks like a grey shooter compared to Crysis 1. I hate its lack of flora.

This is a ridiculously unfair comparison. You chose the blandest screenshot possible from Crysis 2 and one of the most colorful screenshots from Crysis 1. Give me a minute and I'll grab a more accurate screen.

wammnebu

Sep 25, 2010
Raiyan 1.0 said:

actually from this comparison, you can see a lot more potential for color.

this sounds stupid, but look at how the lighting effects look on the cry2 screenshot
this is what makes it a better engine the cry1 screen looks like it has a film over it.

all the flora in cry1 blends together, unlike the clarity of cry 2

and JeanLuc is right you took a biased screenshot

Jonesy911

Jul 6, 2009
I don't mind the lack of colour in some of the areas Mass Effect 2, it only served to make the colourful parts look even amazing. Everyone remembers the first time the stepped into Aria's night club (whuzzit called again?)

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Jonesy911 said:
I don't mind the lack of colour in some of the areas Mass Effect 2, it only served to make the colourful parts look even amazing. Everyone remembers the first time the stepped into Aria's night club (whuzzit called again?)
Bingo! I mean...sure, it's pointless to have EVERYTHING gray and rusted, but having a few areas like that and later on having more colorful ones...dude - that's called having a contrast within a game. And it works to bring one's spirits low in one area, so that you can bring them up in another.

Or one can continue being selective and yell FOUL at even the slightest hint of rust being proof of artists being 'corrupted' by the mainstream too *sigh*.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
wammnebu said:

this sounds stupid, but look at how the lighting effects look on the cry2 screenshot
this is what makes it a better engine the cry1 screen looks like it has a film over it.

Technically speaking, Crysis 2 is inferior to Crysis 1 in that respect.

Crysis, built in the CryEngine 2, was capable of a 32.2m pixel spread across a 12 joule range, displayed in a dynamically generated four-part volumetric resource buffer. This meant a broad spectrum resonance in the upper 40s, with significant occlusion.

However, when we perform our benchmark tests on the CryEngine 3, it registers only 32.1m pixels in the 12J, reducing the BSR to a measly 43, with almost negligible ambience.

But it gets worse once you include the Verticle Sync Module. CryEngine 2 was praised by for its revolutionary VSM, significantly upscaling especially on NVidia chipsets. When we take a look at the CE3 VSM figures they reveal a significant drop in upscaling, and a worrying trend demonstrating an increase in downscaling.

... you will notice not only a downturn in colour (almost 32.3% by our benchmark), but also a significant reduction in flora. It is quite clear that the development of CryEngine 3 for the consoles has led to a devastating effect on the in-game environments, lowered ambient conditions for both AI and NPCs (inevitably as a result of the 360s eDRAM chip), and a raise in carbon production by over 300%. With Crysis having supported DX12, and Crysis 2 not even shipping with DX11 support, it is nothing short of a disgrace.

Edit: Please disregard this post. The RPS source has successfully trolled me. :)

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Loonerinoes said:
Jonesy911 said:
Bingo! I mean...sure, it's pointless to have EVERYTHING gray and rusted, but having a few areas like that and later on having more colorful ones...dude - that's called having a contrast within a game. And it works to bring one's spirits low in one area, so that you can bring them up in another.

Or one can continue being selective and yell FOUL at even the slightest hint of rust being proof of artists being 'corrupted' by the mainstream too *sigh*.
The problem wasn't that it had rusted metal. That's just as valid a motif as many other. The problem was that everything was the same tone, hue, and lightness. Make the floors out of a different material. Make the sky a strong contrast instead of a mild one. Set it in the evening, and use different types of floodlights (warm and cool) to differentiate.

The problem wasn't the idea, but the execution.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
James Charles said:
"If I can deliver a bit of a beating to one of last year's sacred cows: Mass Effect 2"

We've all or should all have seen your lets play of this game Shamus, you insult ME2 is like Ruts trolling mumbles. oh but rightly so of course Sci-Fi Liner shooter with a strange plot that i still seam to want to defend.

edit: note i dont mean make everything zany and mad, but hell the real world is a bland uninteresting mess, id rather games add some vibrancy to it sure have grey and brown but not just grey and brown.
You know, the real world is not as bland as it's made out to be. I've seen enough of it to know that.

From the strikingly dark red dirt in Central Australia, to the trees & flowers in the local gardens, or even the garish colours of shopfronts and billboards, there is a lot of variation in colour in the real world.

Granted, it doesn't have the level of planning of a controlled environment like a film (or well designed game - Well, to be honest, the arrangement of plants in a garden is hardly arbitrary), but it's hardly as bland as it's made out to be.

A case in point, it's now spring here, and there's a spot in near the town square (which is surrounded by the upper and lower gardens), where there are 3 adjacent trees with very striking colours:

The middle one is a cherryblossom, with the pale pink petals made famous by Japanese imagery (Not that this is Japan). To one side is some kind of tree with bright yellow flowers or leaves or something...

And to the other side, something with really dark red leaves.

Further into the park, there's all manner of trees, including some that have some of the most intricate and colourful patterns in their bark I've ever seen.

Going the other way, you get ferns, large trees, and massive carefully arranged and very colourful flower beds.

Then there's all the old architecture, and lamp-posts in a shade of dark green...
Buildings in textures from the dark red of brick, to yellowish brown of sandstone, pale whitish grey of limestone, darker grey of concrete, pale red stret tiles, a massive mosaic of a mermaid constructed from pebbles, dark asphalt of roads, and of course, towards the water, the stark contrast of cliff-tops covered in plants of a variety of different colours, the bright white cliff-faces themselves, the sand underneath, and the ocean.

The sheer amount of variation of colours, textures, and environments crammed into what is a fairly small urban town centre shows that even 'realistic' environments have little excuse for being bland and colourless.

Urthman

Jan 23, 2010
The colors you see in movies are carefully chosen to set mood, to draw the eye. To denote importance. To make the audience remember an otherwise unremarkable detail.

How you could omit a shout-out to Mirror's Edge at this point is beyond me.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Crysis 2 uses a foggy "depth" effect, as visible in the second-page screenshot, which adds an amazing sense of scale to the scene. Homeworld 2 did something similar. (Note that it did so through the medium of background paintings, rather than through technology)

See the fogginess? The crepuscular rays? You just know, from this one image, that the object in the background is immeasurably immense. The Crysis 2 image evokes the same feeling for me - a feeling of awe created by the palpable sense of difference in scale between the player and the environment.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
Eehhh. I'm not a fan of Crysis 2's looks, actually. Yeah, it's more colorful than most shooters out there, the game art looks amazing, I give it props for that, but it's so, so, so incredibly, jarringly glossed up and post-processed it actually makes me sick. Light blooms off anything with a bright color, making everything look blurry and fuzzy. I tried out the first Crysis for comparison, and the best way I can describe it is that Crysis 1 feels like a natural beauty who can turn heads without a speck of make-up while Crysis 2 is like a painted up call girl in a low-cut dress. It feels like it's trying way too hard to impress me.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Raiyan 1.0 said:
wammnebu said:

Crysis, built in the CryEngine 2, was capable of a 32.2m pixel spread across a 12 joule range, displayed in a dynamically generated four-part volumetric resource buffer. This meant a broad spectrum resonance in the upper 40s, with significant occlusion.

However, when we perform our benchmark tests on the CryEngine 3, it registers only 32.1m pixels in the 12J, reducing the BSR to a measly 43, with almost negligible ambience.

But it gets worse once you include the Verticle Sync Module. CryEngine 2 was praised by for its revolutionary VSM, significantly upscaling especially on NVidia chipsets. When we take a look at the CE3 VSM figures they reveal a significant drop in upscaling, and a worrying trend demonstrating an increase in downscaling.

... you will notice not only a downturn in colour (almost 32.3% by our benchmark), but also a significant reduction in flora. It is quite clear that the development of CryEngine 3 for the consoles has led to a devastating effect on the in-game environments, lowered ambient conditions for both AI and NPCs (inevitably as a result of the 360s eDRAM chip), and a raise in carbon production by over 300%. With Crysis having supported DX12, and Crysis 2 not even shipping with DX11 support, it is nothing short of a disgrace.
You realise that RPS article is a complete piss-take for the most part? The whole DX12 thing in bold should have hinted at that, if nothing else did.

OT: Personally, I thought ME2 had a lot of striking colour.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
I haven't seen a lot of Crysis 2, but I'm assuming this is an April Fool's joke from what I've seen of it in action...

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I was actually thinking of giving this game a chance, despite my extremely strong aversion to the first-person perspective in games. There's something about it from what I've seen that makes me think it might be an exception to my "I hate FPS" rule. No risk, no reward.

Raiyan 1.0 said:
wammnebu said:

At the risk of making myself sound like an ass if you do realize it, that article is a joke. I don't mean it's bad reporting. It's an actual intentional joke.