Sony Hacker Lawsuits Earn the Wrath of Anonymous [UPDATED]

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Sony Hacker Lawsuits Earn the Wrath of Anonymous [UPDATED]

Anonymous has accused Sony of abusing the legal system and victimizing its customers.

Sony's efforts to sue [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106865-Sony-Breaks-Out-the-Lawyers-Over-PS3-Hacks] PS3 hackers have raised the ire of the "hacktivist" group Anonymous, who has deemed Sony's lawsuits as "alarming" and "wholly unforgiveable." In retaliation for these perceived infractions, Anonymous is turning its "undivided" attention towards the company, and plans to attack Sony websites.

In a "press release [http://anonnews.org/?p=press&a=item&i=787]," Anonymous said that Sony had abused the judicial system in an effort to suppress information about the inner workings of the PS3. Anonymous accused Sony of "victimizing" its customers, and intruding on the privacy of thousands of "innocent" people that just wanted to share information about a product they had legally purchased and should be able to do with as they pleased. What's more, the release said that judges and other legal entities involved in the suits were guilty of "undermining the well-being of the populace and subverting [their] judicial mandate."

While Anonymous hasn't been specific about what it plans to attack, it said that its actions would be symbolic. The release said that Sony was treating its customers as if they were just renting their consoles, and so Anonymous would do the same with Sony's web domains. This action, the release read, was to show Sony exactly how wrong their actions against the hackers were.

The relationship between Sony and PS3 hackers is a very complex one, even if Anonymous wants to paint it as a black and white, hackers are right, Sony is wrong, kind of deal. It's hard to know who to root for - ignoring for a moment that what Anonymous is threatening to do is illegal - as both sides make valid points in their arguments. On the one hand, it's hard to disagree with the idea that people should be able to tinker with something that they own, but on the other hand, it's impossible to ignore the fact that that tinkering can often enable software piracy. It remains to be seen, however, whether a few denial of service attacks is going to be enough to make Sony see things Anonymous' way.

UPDATE: It looks like Anonymous has started its assault. As of 13.30 EST, the US PlayStation [http://us.playstation.com/] site is down, presumably from a denial of service attack.

Source: via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/#!5788479/anonymous-targets-sony-warns-of-penises-stuck-in-hornets-nests]

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
thinking it in terms of legality, anonymous is participating in illegal activities.
thinking in terms of good vs bad, sony appears to be wearing the horns and anonymous is the knight in shining armor.

i strongly support those who wish to modify their own equipment, and ignoring any form of legality and politics, i can certainly see anonymous's point of view. sony is outright abusing the system.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Hardcore_gamer said:
I love it how Hackers appear to think that hacking and causing damage to other people's property will somehow win over the public.
Not really...how many protests involve stupid 20something guys smashing windows?

Sure, it doesn't help the cause, but it's not supposed to. It's just an excuse for smashing things.

Anonymous [footnote]as much as you can talk about a varied group in such terms[/footnote]seems to like hacking sites cause it's illegal but they can. Sony is big and makes a juicy target to bring down.

Firehound

is a trap!
Nov 22, 2010
No matter which side wins, Anonymous wins. Adding up to a possible double victory.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
"While Anonymous hasn't been specific about what it plans to attack, it said that its actions would be symbolic. The release said that Sony was treating its customers as if they were just renting their consoles, and so Anonymous would do the same with Sony's web domains. This action, the release read, was to show Sony exactly how wrong their actions against the hackers were."

Seems like they actually want to do this the right way...

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
I disagree with the fact that people shouldn't be allowed to mod their products because they might use it for piracy. That's like saying we shouldn't sell people knives because they might cut others.

I understand Sony's trepidation, but I don't agree with them.

DrunkWithPower

Apr 17, 2009
Something tells me that I, in some way, will get screwed in someway by this. "Sony releases an ass ton of patches" or "Hackers release customer information" is the tag lines I'm looking for in the future.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
thaluikhain said:
Anonymous seems to like hacking sites cause it's illegal but they can. Sony is big and makes a juicy target to bring down.
That's my best guess as to why this is happening.

Let's see how this will all turn out; Anonymous is famous for following through with their plans.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Actually suprised annonymous has taken this long to comment on this, but seriously them getting involved is not going to anyone any favours

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
Throwing a tantrum will sure teach them.

I mean, we could just get people to boycott the products and services. Let supply and demand do the "dirty work." But we're afraid that not enough people are bothered by this. So, instead, Anonymous gets louder and pretends it represents the majority interest.

And all they're going to do is make a harder road for those of us that would rather initiate dialogue with Sony to make changes. It'll be impossible to talk the issue out anymore, because they'll have clear reason to say, "This is why we don't 'negotiate' with hackers." Because we're so anxious to prove them right, they never have to admit they're wrong.

Infesord

Apr 27, 2010
Oh boy, Something tells me this is not going to end up pretty. I usually favor Anon with a lot of things, but this time it feels... off. Dunno how else to put it.

TacticalAssassin1

Elite Member
May 29, 2009
Prof. Monkeypox said:
I disagree with the fact that people shouldn't be allowed to mod their products because they might use it for piracy. That's like saying we shouldn't sell people knives because they might cut others.

I understand Sony's trepidation, but I don't agree with them.
I see your point but it's... Complicated.
Isn't the Sony software in the PS3 copyrited and secret and stuff? If so then I say you're probably not allowed to screw with it.
I'm sure it would be in the agreement that everyone signs when they buy the console or set it up or something.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Post removed.

I'm sick of being quoted by people that want to repeat the same things everyone else has already said on every page of this thread.
[small]That'll teach me to post on the first page of a news article.[/small]

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
If this ends up being just some DDoS attacks I'm going to be rather disappointed. This whole Sony v Hackers situation gets more and more entertaining as we go on. Next I expect PETA to stand up and proclaim that PS3s are made of whale bones and the KKK to stand up that there aren't enough white PS3s or some crazy shit.