Minecraft Sales Figures Reveal $33 Million in Diamonds

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Minecraft Sales Figures Reveal $33 Million in Diamonds

Markus "Notch" Persson has revealed that Minecraft is pulling in an astronomical amount of money.

Mojang's Minecraft hit 1 million copies sold Creeper [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106890-Minecraft-Sells-1-000-000-Copies-in-Beta], and where the nickname "Notch" came from in the first place.

Persson says that Minecraft has made "more money than he'll ever need." While he tries not to look at the account which holds this mass of funds, he reveals: "The game sold about 800,000 copies at €9.95 and then so far 1 million more at €14.95 . Paypal takes a cut, there are taxes, and such, but it's still a huge wad of money."

Going by these figures, total revenue (not profit) would equal about €23 million, or $33 million. Persson formed a company around Minecraft called Mojang, from which he takes what he calls a "normal salary."

Persson says that the Minecraft business model, which sells the game in its alpha and beta phases to support development (Minecraft is not finished yet), is a "great way for a small studio to do game development." He'd like to release future titles with the same method, if it makes sense, as "developing in the dark is scary and probably wrong."

As for the secrets behind Minecraft's explosive Creeper foe and Persson's nickname, they're a lot simpler than you might think. The Creeper came about when Persson "tried to make a pig and failed." The nickname "Notch" is explained thusly: "I just picked a nickname." He also likes fish sticks.

Mojang is currently working on a second game called Scrolls [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108156-Minecraft-Studio-Unveils-New-Title-Called-Scrolls], a card/board strategy game, with Jakob Porser in the position of lead designer. It's likely the first of many projects to come out of Mojang, a small studio with a huge bankroll for self-funded projects.

Source: Reddit [http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/gjrf4/iama_indie_game_developer_who_made_a_commercially/]

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
He also likes fish sticks.

What is he, a gay fish?

33 Million is an incredible sum. I don't even know how I'd spend that much. I'm glad to hear he's basically reinvesting it in the company however.

LegoDudeGuy

Young punks, get off my lawn.
Jun 9, 2010
HELL YEAH!

This is great that there product is selling (And it is even not even out yet!)

I think it was from them winning March Mayhem 2011.

Even so, good on you, you deserve every pound? doller? whatever you call your currency over there.

Now we wait and see how they use there newfound fortune in their future projects!

Wieke

Quite Dutch.
Mar 30, 2009
Zechnophobe said:

What is he, a gay fish?

33 Million is an incredible sum. I don't even know how I'd spend that much. I'm glad to hear he's basically reinvesting it in the company however.
Wasn't that before taxes & paypall? I think he lives in sweden and i'm pretty sure income tax is quite high over there.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I think this would make Mojang the richest developer in terms of cash to No. of employees.

Now, if only he would make Minecraft happen faster i would love it even more.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
HankMan said:
I wonder how long you'd have to mine to find that much in Diamonds.
I am more interested in figuring out how much land would be left?

OT: Hot damn! I say Notch, go out on the town tonight, you deserve it. 33 million... wow!

MrCollins

Power Vacuumer
Jun 28, 2010
SirBryghtside said:
...that's a lot...

What's he planning to do with the company? I'm actually interested in this right now, with that much he shouldn't really be sticking to indie titles.

Didn't Activision start out as an indie dev?
Don't all companies start as indie? I mean Microsoft started in a college dorm.

FallenRainbows

Feb 22, 2009
SirBryghtside said:
...that's a lot...

What's he planning to do with the company? I'm actually interested in this right now, with that much he shouldn't really be sticking to indie titles. He's clearly not spending it on MineCraft, after all...

Didn't Activision start out as an indie dev?
To my recollection they did yeah.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
I don't know Notch, Scrolls sounds awfully boring for me. But will have to wait and see.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Wieke said:
Zechnophobe said:

What is he, a gay fish?

Wasn't that before taxes & paypall? I think he lives in sweden and i'm pretty sure income tax is quite high over there.
Ye, Sweden has one of the highst income taxes, only beaten by Denmark, I don't know the numbers, I tried finding them for this post though >.<

Still alot of money though.

Dec 14, 2009

It's good to see a small indy dev success story, but remember, there are still plenty of starving geeks out there who don't even have one diamond.

*que sad piano music*

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
therandombear said:
Wieke said:
Zechnophobe said:

What is he, a gay fish?

Ye, Sweden has one of the highst income taxes, only beaten by Denmark, I don't know the numbers, I tried finding them for this post though >.<

We got around 33% if I recall correctly.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
kebab4you said:
therandombear said:
Wieke said:
Zechnophobe said:

What is he, a gay fish?

Depends on how much you earn, Im quite sure my father pays around 38%

http://www.ekonomifakta.se/sv/Fakta/Skatter/Rakna-pa-dina-skatter/Rakna-ut-din-skatt/

So if you live in stockholm and earns 100 000kr a month and is born 1980 you will get 56 252kr

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Tubez said:
Depends on how much you earn, Im quite sure my father pays around 38%
kebab4you said:
Ye, my problem right there, I tried finding a "safe" number, but so many variables to consider xD

Atleast we have a general number now :3

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
jeez hes got to be taking at least a few mill off that to himself.

kebab4you said:
I don't know Notch, Scrolls sounds awfully boring for me. But will have to wait and see.
MineCraft sounds incredibly boring too...

Misho-

May 20, 2010
Zechnophobe said:

What is he, a gay fish?

Lol, yeah South Park!

Also wow... I remember when my dad used to say there was no money to be had in the video game industry... :S :(