Everyone Who Ever Bought a Madden Game is Suing EA

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
Everyone Who Ever Bought a Madden Game is Suing EA

If you've purchased a Madden NFL, NCAA Football, or Arena Football League game from Electronic Arts since 2005 then congratulations, you're suing EA.

In California, a judge has approved the creation of a "class," an official recognition of a subset of people as a group, made up of anyone who purchased EA football games since 2005. With this class officially recognized, lawyers have filed a class-action lawsuit against the videogame publisher for creating a football videogame monopoly.

According to the claim, "Defendant Electronic Arts entered into a series of exclusive licenses with the National Football League ... which plaintiffs claim foreclosed competition in the alleged football videogame market," which allegedly allowed EA to overprice its alleged football products.

So apparently you have been mercilessly robbed, fleeced, and bamboozled by EA for the past 6 years. As a purchaser of the aforementioned products, you are automatically included as part of the class, and eligible to receive any damages won in the case. You are not considered a part of the class if you bought your EA football game on a mobile device, directly from EA, purchased your games used, or are an EA employee. Otherwise, you will only be excluded if you take the steps listed at the plaintiff's site [http://www.easportslitigation.com/exclude.html].

Whether or not the case holds water is obviously up to a judge to decide, but it seems that a large part of the case hinges on EA "overcharging" for the games it has a monopoly on. As far as I can tell, the latest Madden NFL game is retailing for about $60, the usual price for a console game. I suppose you could try and make the case that every game publisher has been overcharging us for years (and there are plenty who would agree with that), but I don't see this case getting through the massive and expensive battalion of lawyers employed by EA to counter these kinds of suits without some very solid evidence of wrongdoing.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/06/class-action-suit-filed-against-ea-sports-over-football-monopoly/]
(Image) [http://www.flickr.com/photos/60588258@N00/3293465641/]

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
So they're not suing EA because the games are terrible, but because they're seen as the ONLY publisher who makes terrible sports games?

Yeah, fair enough >_>;;

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Oh goody, I'm part of a class action lawsuit, and might therefore earn $5 when the case is won, if it is at all. Which it probably won't.

Misho-

May 20, 2010
joebear15 said:
can go buy an old copy for like 1$, I want to be suing EA games.
"... You are not considered a part of the class if you bought your EA football game on a mobile device, directly from EA, purchased your games used, or are an EA employee. Otherwise, you will only be excluded if you take the steps listed at the plaintiff's site.
..."

Not such luck I'm afraid.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
With any luck, EA Sports will be made defunct.

This can only be a good thing. EA Sports is EA's last relic of its dark phase over the last decade. All other significant subsidaries have either been made defunct or gained a real name like Visceral, formerly EA Redwood Shores.

EDIT: No, theres still EA Los Angeles. Which is infamous for torurting Command and Conquer to death.

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
Damn, they thought they could get away with fleecing me! I DEMANDED EA CHARGES THE SAME 60$ PRICE TAG AS EVERY OTHER VIDEOGAME MAKER!!! ...oh wait...

Magikarp

Jan 26, 2011
Yes, they are releasing a tweaked game every year, but not for a higher price than FIFA, which they don't have a monopoly on. There should be a minister of common sense to overturn ridiculous lawsuits like this.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
... What?

This is the second example of this seemingly nonsensical shit - the other being MS's complaint about Google "unfairly" dominating the market.

If people buy the bloody things then that's up to them, and they cost the same as other games anyway.

rees263

The Lone Wanderer
Jun 4, 2009
This might sound stupid, but to people from outside the US count? Not that I expect anything to come of this but I'd be interested to know all the same.

MellowFellow

Feb 14, 2010
Radelaide said:
So they're not suing EA because the games are terrible, but because they're seen as the ONLY publisher who makes terrible sports games?

Yeah, fair enough >_>;;
I disagree with you on them being terrible games, at least not all of them anyway.

OT: They do have a monopoly pretty much in the sports gaming department, I do remember 2K and ESPN had a few sports games for the original xbox, which were fun, but I guess they didn't sell as well.

Does this count for the college football games also, because I have about 5 of them, but honestly they were all worth it. I play the NCAA football games a lot.

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
Oh yeah I bought madden NFL11 and NCAA11 so apparently I got royally screwed. Now I have the curious sensation to go sign my name on this lawsuit and be apart of it, too bad im too lazy to do it.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Woodsey said:
... What?

This is the second example of this seemingly nonsensical shit - the other being MS's complaint about Google "unfairly" dominating the market.

If people buy the bloody things then that's up to them, and they cost the same as other games anyway.
Until they realise they've been buying shit. Before that time I'm assuming they were all in a drug induced haze that prevented basic research into any product.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
And...who exactly came up with that 'brilliant' idea? I mean, sure, there is plenty of reasons to dislike EA, but the same reasons apply to majority of big publishers. Now as i understand the whole deal stands on two issues. First the fact that EA has exclusive licenses and second being the price of the games.

Taking that in account i'm guessing someone wanted piece of that cake but couldn't get into it because their football game was not allowed to use real life player's names... seems more like a case of jealousy rather than actual care for end users aka customers aka 'us'.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Woodsey said:
I do see what you mean there but its harder to say its worth it for the sucession of NFL games. I doubt EA Sports puts in much effort to actually developing them. Controls are always the same, innovation is to them what a cheeseburger is to a lactose intolerant hindu, and really every time i compare this years and last years games i cant help wondering if they didnt just reskin the character models then change around the playable rooster names.

The same could be said for the FIFA series too, but they dont own that market so nobody is complaining.

DevilWolf47

Nov 29, 2010
We can sue people for overcharging...?

Anyone up for suing Capcom for expecting us to pay $60 for 2D fighters?