When it Rains in Minecraft 1.5, It Snows

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
When it Rains in Minecraft 1.5, It Snows

The next update to indie smash hit Minecraft will include weather systems like rain for all your wolf-dampening purposes.

Minecraft has quite a lot of well-deserved boasts to its name. It's currently earned creator Notch a cool incredibly catchy song [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109044-Minecraft-Sales-Figures-Reveal-33-Million-in-Diamonds] created by The Escapist's own Miracle of Sound. (Seriously, I can't stop listening to this).

One thing it doesn't have yet, though, is weather. That's about to change: According to the game's mastermine Notch, beta update 1.5 will picture [http://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/55916231101915136] of what it might look like on the border of two Minecraft biomes, which just doesn't look natural at all.

What will the weather actually do? That's a trickier question, and Notch and Mojang haven't quite decided all of the effects it could have on the game. Rain will water crops, put out fires (but not lava) and make wolves get wet, and it also might flood small holes. No word on what snow does, but hopefully it freezes Creepers, or something like that.

Oh, wait! Maybe you can pack it into snowballs and throw it at people! That'd be fantastic. There you go, Notch, have that idea for free.

(Joystiq [http://twitter.com/#!/notch])

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
John Funk said:
Oh, wait! Maybe you can pack it into snowballs and throw it at people! That'd be fantastic. There you go, Notch, have that idea for free.
It already does that XD

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Snowball

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
Uh, you already can make snowballs from snow.

Edit: Also, weather used to exist, and was removed. This is a re-add of an old feature.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
I'm hoping that snowing does what it did back in alpha, and that is put the layer of snow back on the ground, I want to build my snow fortresses again without having to deplete an entire biome to do so.

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
all this, and still im not interested in this game.. somehow the bug has really avoided me..

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Zechnophobe said:
Uh, you already can make snowballs from snow.

Edit: Also, weather used to exist, and was removed. This is a re-add of an old feature.
I may have started playing too late, but was it ever random like this? I remember having a biome that was constantly snowing. Never seen rain before, but maybe I was just too late?
But yeah, this sounds pretty cool. However, what I'm really looking forward to is a massive patch dedicated to fixing up some of the bugs. A lot of the bugs. It seems like Mojang are just gonna keep piling cool update on cool update, until their is a ridiculous amount of bugs to wade through. Which will be a pain to fix. But still, I am enjoying the cool updates.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Snow and rain have been in Minecraft for a while now.

Rain was first put in by Notch as a tech test ages ago (but never actually implemented), and if you generated a snowy map before the 1.2 biome update, snow fell on the entire thing.

Now we just need him to make snow always fall above the cloudline, so we can have snowy peaks with epic lava-castles on them.

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
Time to go build a giant glass enclosure around my creations made of wool. Just in case.

Lord Devius

Aug 5, 2010
This is just re-introducing an element that already existed but got removed.

I know, I have a world that used to be covered in snow because it was snowing when I made the world.

I'm glad, but why did he remove it in the first place?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Fr said:
anc[is]
John Funk said:
It already does that XD

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Snowball
Shhhhhhh.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
Easily Forgotten said:
This is just re-introducing an element that already existed but got removed.

I know, I have a world that used to be covered in snow because it was snowing when I made the world.

I'm glad, but why did he remove it in the first place?
If memory serves it was an issue he was having while coding in biomes, he couldn't get the weather to act correctly. Also this appears to be a once in a while affair, where it rains/snows for a bit, the goes back to sunny, which is a nice change IMO.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Aw man, now my castles will smell like wet dogs.

Fayathon said:
I'm hoping that snowing does what it did back in alpha, and that is put the layer of snow back on the ground, I want to build my snow fortresses again without having to deplete an entire biome to do so.
Agreed.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Mojang should just be the Google of game developers and keep all their products in "beta" until they decide to move on to something else.

Lord Devius

Aug 5, 2010
Fayathon said:
If memory serves it was an issue he was having while coding in biomes, he couldn't get the weather to act correctly. Also this appears to be a once in a while affair, where it rains/snows for a bit, the goes back to sunny, which is a nice change IMO.
Ah, fair enough.

And yeah, shifting weather would be nice, but even if it's just biome-set and constant, that's alright with me.

Jan 27, 2011
So it'll snow in arctic biomes again?!

And we can get rain too?!? SWEEEEEEET! Been waiting for this kind of update for quite a while.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
(Waits for someone to complain about the mastermine "typo".)

brunothepig said:
I may have started playing too late, but was it ever random like this? I remember having a biome that was constantly snowing. Never seen rain before, but maybe I was just too late?
There was rain as an effect long ago, but it didn't do anything, IIRC.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I swear if it rains on my current project, I will be most unhappy. I will sacrifice dogs by the hundreds until it stops!

Not that they need any help, the other night my tamed wolf walked right off the edge of my courtyard without hesitation. Survived the fall but I put it down anyway.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Possible typo: Is it supposed to be "mastermine" or "mastermind?"

Anyway, seems interesting enough, but it'd be more impressive if it wasn't a old feature being reintroduced.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
samsonguy920 said:
I swear if it rains on my current project, I will be most unhappy. I will sacrifice dogs by the hundreds until it stops!

Not that they need any help, the other night my tamed wolf walked right off the edge of my courtyard without hesitation. Survived the fall but I put it down anyway.
It's a dog, not a horse, you don't have to shoot it.:)

But yeah, dogs can be rather dense. My fort's entrance passes by some lava pits I built. Invariably, every time I had them with me when I entered the fort one would hop onto the divider and decide the magma looked nice for a dip. So I made a side door that exits near the kennel and doesn't pass the pits.