New SSX Drops Subtitle, Keeps Fun

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
New SSX Drops Subtitle, Keeps Fun

The fight for survival gameplay seen in the new SSX trailers, is just one gameplay mode, says the game's creative director.

If the subtitle of the new SSX game - Deadly Descent - had you wondering if the series had abandoned the fun of previous games in favor of something dark and gritty, then you can breathe a sigh of relief. EA has dropped the rather ominous sounding subtitle, and assured fans that the new game will contain all the over-the-top SSX action they know and love.

According to Todd Batty, the game's creative director, the "Deadly Descent" is just one of three gameplay modes that the new game, now called just SSX, will contain. Batty said that EA's core statement for the game had always been "survive it, race it, trick it," and tricks and racing were just as much a part of the game as harrowing mountain survival.

"... I've always thought racing was the core of SSX," he said. "And we didn't want to go away from that, so we're going to have Speed Descent events, and of course we'll have tricks in our Tricky Descent events. We wanted to make sure we hit the over-the-top arcadey gameplay in all of these different gameplay modes. We decided to lead with the new Deadly Descent gameplay in that trailer, but all of the classic SSX style will be there, too.

Batty said that the tricks portion of the game had received a significant overhaul as well. Not only were the courses a lot more open than they'd been in previous games, which gave more opportunities to throw your boarder into the air, the underlying physics of tricks had been updated as well. "[W]e work very closely with the Fight Night Round 4 team," he said. "Which has one of the most advanced physics systems possible, so we took the underlying code in their system and put it in our game to augment the trick system."

"We want players to be able to ride off anywhere, at anytime, and vault into the air at ridiculous speeds and heights, and we want players to be able to flip and spin and roll on any axis to create an infinite amount of tricks. Then we layer in all the grabs, kick flips, and all the other over-the-top tricks that SSX is famous for." He added.

The new, less deadly SSX is scheduled for release early next year.

Source: Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/games/ssx/b/ps3/archive/2011/04/06/ea-carves-up-a-world-of-mountains-in-ssx.aspx]

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
3 was great. One of my favourite games of that generation in fact. 4 was a disappointment. Sorry EA, but it will take more than a few choice quotes to make me care about this new SSX.

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
When I was younger my family used to sit around and all play this together. Was such a fun game. I think it was SSX Tricky... I actually haven't really heard anything about SSX since, and it was one of my favorite games. I might have to check this out as it gets closer.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
It's tricky to rock a rhyme
to rock a rhyme that's right on time
it's tricky!!
t-t-t-tricky tricky tricky tricky

Apr 28, 2008
This. This is good news.

I have great memories of playing SSX Tricky with my family. Glad to see this one is keeping the crazy. It also got a sale, fancy that.

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
I absolutely LOVED SSX3. Played it for many many hours... I'm starting to look forward to this.

Nov 27, 2010
I support the title change 100% (Deadly Descent sounds like shit), but why is it called just SSX? Is it a remake of the original? Or a reboot? From what I've heard, it's neither, so why isn't called SSX 5 or whatever game in the series it is.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Hmm... I dunno... this isn't being made by EA Big (if they even exist anymore). But I'll reserve judgement until a demo drops or something.