Mass Effect 3 Details Arrive Like Reapers

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Mass Effect 3 Details Arrive Like Reapers

BioWare has released early details on the highly anticipated Mass Effect 3.

trailer [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-3-Xbox-360/dp/B004FYEZMQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1302281133&sr=1-1] put Earth in a seriously bad spot, but didn't reveal much about gameplay. Just like the Reapers, first details have arrived on our doorstep. Sadly, they're secondhand, so take them with a grain of salt to an extent.

A GameFAQs poster that got his hands on the latest issue of Game Informer reveals that BioWare is going with a middle ground between the RPG element levels of Mass Effect 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-Pc/dp/B00140P9BA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1302281096&sr=8-2]. Mass Effect was criticized for delving too far into the RPG zone, while Mass Effect 2 took a similar amount of heat for focusing on shooter elements.

Players will have a greater amount of freedom with character skills in Mass Effect 3, with larger skill trees and powers that evolve more than once. The weapon system is similar to Mass Effect 2, but weapons can be modded with various parts such as barrels and scopes. Every character can equip every type of weapon, but with limited slots tied to character class. The soldier can carry everything, while other classes might only have two or three weapon slots

**Spoiler Alert**: The rest of this post could ruin Mass Effect 3 story elements

Storywise, Mass Effect 3 will begin on Earth with Commander Shepard on trial. In its midst, Reapers invade the planet. Mass Effect 3's prologue follows Shepard's escape to the Normandy so he can gather his allies to take the Reapers down again. Some of these allies may include Liara, Ashley/Kaidan, Garrus, Wrex, Mordin, and Legion (if they're alive). One of the new squadmates/characters is named James Sanders, but the article doesn't seem to reveal what his deal is.

The manipulative Illusive Man of Mass Effect 2 will also return, but his opinion of Shepard has changed. Cerberus, the Illusive Man's "humanity first" organization, is trying to kill Shepard in Mass Effect 3 for an unknown reason.

Mass Effect 3 will again feature multiple endings depending on player choices and squadmates. What it apparently won't feature is multiplayer, a strongly rumored [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106157-UPDATE-BioWare-Denies-Multiplayer-for-Mass-Effect-3] addition that the article rules out.

In the BioWare forums, marketing manager Jarrett Lee stated that the company is largely trying to avoid spoiling the game beforehand this time. "Selling [Mass Effect 3] as awesome only by talking about basic game features can be difficult, but we may see a move towards that at this time," he wrote. No matter what we may hear, Mass Effect 3 could hold more secrets under the hood.

Mass Effect 3 is scheduled for release by the end of 2011 on the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC.

Source: NeoGAF [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=426690]

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Cerberus, the Illusive Man's "humanity first" organization, is trying to kill Shepard in Mass Effect 3 for an unknown reason.

I can think of two very good reasons. If you blew the Collectors' Base at the end, then they're pissed off you wrecked the loot. And if you didn't, well, hello Reaper-Indoctrinated terrorist group!
Folks not wanting ME2 spoiled shouldn't click the above. Seriously.

To make this post less bland for the unspoiled, let me say that I can't wait until "Holiday 2011".

-- Steve

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHZOMFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFG!
Wrex is back! At least that's what it sounds like may happen. If that turns out to be the case, I've heard all the info I need to know that I will absolutely love ME3.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Must.

Not.

Get.

Hyped.

In.

Case.

Game.

Sucks.

Donkeys.

Oh fuck it.

Whoooooooo! Wrex and Liara are back! Well... possibly.

And now I'm going to have to determinedly stick my fingers in my ears and hum loudly for the rest of the year. Oh joy.

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
I can't wait to bask in the warm glow of the Presidium Fish. ALL HAIL PRESIDIUM FISH!

OldAccount

Sep 10, 2010
Stopped reading at the spoiler warning but I like what I hear about the gameplay.

Dammit, ME3! I want to play you NOW!

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Must. Not. Read. Spoilers. Must. Be. Surprised. Must. Fight. Urge.

-peeks-

I saw
"Shepard on trial"
and had to stop. I really don't want to know anything before I play it.

Zhukov said:
Must. Not. Get. Hyped. In. Case. Game. Sucks. Donkeys.

Oh fuck it.

Whoooooooo! Wrex and Liara are back! Well... possibly.

And now I'm going to have to determinedly stick my fingers in my ears and hum loudly for the rest of the year. Oh joy.
I'll be plugging my ears and shouting 'boo' right along with ya.

EDIT

It's nice we're getting some of the customization back we lost in the second game... if this is to be believed.

And I hope they work on the 'ammo' and health system. The thermal clips and Halo 2 health regen were really the only changes I can say honestly pissed me off.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Cerberus is trying to kill Shepard because, let's face it, they were always bad guys. Even when you were working for them, you knew they didn't have the universe's best interests in mind...

Other: I smell a Chrono Trigger-style mock trial here - "let's bring up all the decisions you made in the last two games and fuss about them, then never mention them again.

I really hope I'm wrong, and that the game has actual different story arcs/significant amounts of content depending on what you did in the last games, but...

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
...But do we get the Mako back? Doing donuts in the hammerhead is no fun. Plus it's health is abysmal.
Also, I want to bring back manual cover. Too many times has the cover system failed me in 2.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
As long as Miranda comes back, I'm happy.. if only so I can rub my relationship with her in Ashley's face. I should have nuked her when I had the chance.

Game sounds good so far and I like the slight removal of the class/weapon restriction as that's probably what prevented me from more class experimentation in the past games.

It'll also be interesting to see how many of the people who claim to hate Bioware because of what they supposedly did to Dragon Age 2 will rush out and buy ME3 anyway.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
i really hope this doesn't make the final change and turn mass effect into a linear corridor shooter with fancy dialogue

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
cursedseishi said:
And let me guess...
The trial is because "Oh Em Geee, Shepard worked part time with Cerberus, so even though you saved us all, we're ungrateful pr***s so we're gonna send you to jail" or something huh?
If you play the "Arrival" DLC mission, Hackett tells you why at the end. (Obscure phrasing to spoil no spoilers.)

And that JAmes Sanders guy? I'm betting heavily it was the guy in the clocktower during the trailer.
Already shot down by BioWare, apparently. (Drat, should've taken your money first.)

My money is on this theory, brought up by the LJ fan community; the tie-in novels feature the character Kahlee Sanders, and James might be a relative of hers.

-- Steve

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
Commander Shepard on trial.
Am I missing something that happened in the game or does this seem to make little sense. I guess because you were working with Cerberus? Because you blew up the Collector base? I don't know...

The manipulative Illusive Man of Mass Effect 2 will also return, but his opinion of Shepard has changed. Cerberus, the Illusive Man's "humanity first" organization, is trying to kill Shepard in Mass Effect 3 for an unknown reason.
Regardless of your standing with him at the end of the game?

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
Wanting to kill Shepard for unknown reasons? I guess if we're just all of the events of ME2, but it's pretty obvious otherwise. It's either Paragon, you screwed over TIM, or Renegade, you gave TIM what he wants and he wants you out of the way now.