Dungeon Siege III Suffers Delay, Sweetens Loot For Steam Pre-orders

Garrett Grothe

Feb 18, 2011
Dungeon Siege III Suffers Delay, Sweetens Loot For Steam Pre-orders

Dungeon Siege III may be delayed, but added pre-order bonuses on the digital distribution platform Steam are a Dungeon overload.

If you were planning on picking up Dungeon Siege III in May, you sadly have to wait a few weeks longer than anticipated as the game has been delayed until June 21st. However, those weeks can be easily filled for PC folk who pre-order Dungeon Siege III on Steam which grants immediate access to Dungeon Siege I and Dungeon Siege II.

CEO of Square Enix, Mike Fischer, commented on the delay saying, "Although the final polish phase has demanded a bit more time than originally planned, we want to assure fans and followers that the additional effort will allow us to deliver an action-RPG worthy of its rich heritage." While the news of the delay somewhat bites, scoring the rest of the series for free isn't a bad deal, considering they aren't currently available for purchase on Steam.

I'm pretty sure someone we all know enjoyed playing the game earlier this year. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/8664-Preview-Dungeon-Siege-3] Having also played a few hours of Dungeon Siege III a few months ago, I can confidently say from what I played that further work on the game is only going to improve what looks to be a fun entry into the series.

Apr 28, 2008
This is an Obsidian game, I'm glad there's a company that realizes Obsidian needs lots of time to kill bugs.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Bought. Dungeon Siege games have always been good dumb fun while we're waiting for Diablo III.

Heck, even Space Siege was okay if you didn't pay $40 for what turned out to be a 5 hour game.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
I may buy this now as I've heard good things about Dungeon Seige 1 & 2 and getting them for free if you pre-order sounds like a good deal. Also, Obsidian fanboy so I probably would end up buying it anyway.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Looking forward to this one, even if it won't be as story-driven as their other games.

[sub]It's nice of them to actually delay the release for fixes instead of releasing an unfinished product for once, too.[/sub]

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
I should have mentioned: if you're going to play the DS1 and DS2 now, make sure you go mod-hunting first. Steam is mod friendly, and there are tons at places like http://www.dungeonsiege2.net/ds2fun/mods/

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Irridium said:
This is an Obsidian game, I'm glad there's a company that realizes Obsidian needs lots of time to kill bugs.
Isn't it being published by Square Enix, and developed by Obsidian? Makes sense for Square to give them more time, after their disastrous FF14 launch.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
oldtaku said:
I should have mentioned: if you're going to play the DS1 and DS2 now, make sure you go mod-hunting first. Steam is mod friendly, and there are tons at places like http://www.dungeonsiege2.net/ds2fun/mods/
Didn't DS1 have a program called Siege Editor?

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
Irridium said:
Isn't it being published by Square Enix, and developed by Obsidian? Makes sense for Square to give them more time, after their disastrous FF14 launch.
It would make sense for any publisher to give Obsidian more time to develop their games, considering how bug ridden or unfinished their previous games were.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Radeonx said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Irridium said:
It would make sense for any publisher to give Obsidian more time to develop their games, considering how bug ridden or unfinished their previous games were.
I'm just trying to get into Square's mindset. Publishers haven't been kind to Obsidian on this, so I'm wondering if Square has ulterior motives, or if they actually clued in to be patient with these guys.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
oldtaku said:
Didn't DS1 have a program called Siege Editor?
Yeah, and DS2 had Siege Editor II. Both programs were very community friendly. Heck, DS2 engine was used to do a couple total conversion remakes, including Ultima VI. Not sure if the versions from Steam come with the editors, but a quick search shows they're still out there: http://ds.heavengames.com/dl/siege_editor.shtml