Dino D-Day Still Looks Like the Best World War II FPS Ever

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Dino D-Day Still Looks Like the Best World War II FPS Ever

Hitler has resurrected the dinosaurs and enlisted them in the Nazi war machine. Uh-oh.

I really feel that there isn't any way I could possibly describe Dino D-Day any better than the game's Steam page [http://store.steampowered.com/app/70000/], so I'm not going to try:

"The year is 1942. Adolf Hitler has succeeded in resurrecting dinosaurs. The reptilian horde has trampled Europe and the Mediterranean. Can nothing stop the Nazi's dinosaur army?"

It's been almost a year and a half since we first (and last) wrote about [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96241-Dino-D-Day-The-Best-World-War-II-Shooter-Ever] Dino D-Day. The game was originally slated to come out in 2010, but then we didn't hear anything about it for a very long time. The schedule slipped, and the release date fell to April 8th, 2011.

Why, that's today! Who'da thunk it?

As we said last time, the sheer novelty of adding dinosaurs as playable classes to a multiplayer-focused shooter is perhaps the perfect way to spice up the done-to-death "WW2 FPS" genre. Nazis with Tyrannosaurs - it's perfect! Why didn't we think of this before, huh?

According to the Steam page, the game includes three dinosaur classes - Velociraptor, Dilophosaur, Desmatosuchus - and nine boring old human classes, three of which belong to the Axis and six of which belong to the Allies (sorry, General Eisenhower, no dinos for you). Judging from the screenshots, however, there are also non-playable dinosaurs like "kamikaze pterosaurs" and triceratops with tank cannons on their backs.

I have no idea if 800 North and Digital Ranch's game is actually going to be any good, but the premise is so cool that I have to give them a shoutout anyway.

Anyway, it's out today (at time of writing, the Steam page says it unlocks in an hour) and will only set you back $20 if you choose to pick it up [http://store.steampowered.com/app/70000/]. Someone get this over the weekend and tell me if it's any good on Monday, okay?

As the description says: "You've played World War II games before ... but have you played a World War II game with dinosaurs?"

No, good sir. No, I have not.

(Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/70000/])

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Nazi's + Dinosaurs = Apocalypse.

Math so simple a dinosaur could do it!!

Technicolor

Jan 23, 2011
My only problem is that both teams don't have dinosaurs. Its really no fun to be playing as another grunt, when there are fucking Nazi Dilphosaurs running around. I might as well play Day of Defeat. Its a minor nitpick really though.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I've been following Dino D-Day for a while on MODDB.

I like the idea, but I doubt I'll get to actually playing it.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I normally like over-the-top, mental games like this.

But this just fails to even remotely pique my interest for reasons I can't explain...

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
This is either going to best or worst World War 2 game in history.

HankMan said:
<youtube=hlshZB0Rl-k&feature=email&email=comment_reply_received>
... Now there is no question, it will be the BEST WW2 game in history.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
No playable dinosaurs on their side means I will have little desire to play as the allies when I get this game (please, please, pretty please not turn out to be an American release only thing)

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Technicolor said:
My only problem is that both teams don't have dinosaurs. Its really no fun to be playing as another grunt, when there are fucking Nazi Dilphosaurs running around. I might as well play Day of Defeat. Its a minor nitpick really though.
ive played it, like it but its so easier to kill a dino than a human so no worries there

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
1. $20 for an HL2 mod? Wow.

2. $20 for an HL2 mod where the dinosaurs use ripped headcrab sounds? Additional wow.

Okay, it's $18. Steam doesn't understand how currency works, so it costs 18 euros here (roughly $25).

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
This game really needs a demo. I'm not risking $18 without some reviews.

Unless it's so bad they can't afford to have a demo.

Sure the concept is cool, but like fanfic it almost always goes downhill from the concept and should stop there.

Technicolor

Jan 23, 2011
RaikuFA said:
Technicolor said:
ive played it, like it but its so easier to kill a dino than a human so no worries there
Its not really balance that concerns me in this game, I just want a game where I can play a voracious dinosaur.
Epic Nostalgia Flashback

danhere

Apr 5, 2010
Just watched a 10 minute gameplay video and remain unimpressed. Some gimmicks don't get very far, unfortunately. Considering its price, I'm guessing the campaign is probably 2 hours long* and the rest of the development money went toward multiplayer where you can play as the dinosaurs. Might as well stick with Left 4 Dead at that point.

*I don't even honestly care if it's 2 hours or 5 hours or 10 hours. The 10 minute clip ensured that there is nearly 0 variety, so I got the gist as it is.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
I hate to break this to you, John, but that's not a triceratops. That, sir, is a styracosaurus. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Styracosaurus

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Ugh... I hate WWII games...

*Sees Dinosaurs in game screen*

Okay, that is different...

*Edit*

<youtube=hlshZB0Rl-k&feature=email&email=comment_reply_received>

After seeing this, im going back to not caring about WWII games...