Notch Puts Minecraft Quests, Statistics in Motion

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Notch Puts Minecraft Quests, Statistics in Motion

The creator of Minecraft has released a video showing off the future additions of quests, weather, and stats.

Minecraft update 1.5 was already known to bring weather [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109067-When-it-Rains-in-Minecraft-1-5-It-Snows] to the game, but did you know it'll also bring the start of the game's achievement and statistics systems? A new video uploaded by Minecraft creator Markus "Notch" Persson gives us a look at all of these features and shows how they'll work.

Weather is pretty straight forward. It'll start and stop at random intervals, with snow creating a layer of ice over water and a layer of snow over land (which can be chopped away). A good rain is also accompanied by scary flashes of lightning.

The achievement system has been talked about before but now we get to see it in action. Players will have paths that they follow to bigger and better achievements. The path demonstrated here starts with the player simply having to open his inventory, moves on to requiring him to chop down a tree and pick up a piece of wood, and ends with the player crafting a workbench. This is presumably just a short example of the longer achievement trees Minecraft will eventually feature, as it's in a group called "Ride a pig off a cliff," which may be where the tree ends.

The final feature shown here is the new statistics page, which records all sorts of player actions in the game. General statistics will save the number of worlds played, the distance players have walked or fallen, how much damage they've dealt, and more. Block statistics will record how many times players have crafted, used, or mined a particular material. Item statistics will do the same for items like the pickaxe or the apple.

Giving players goals and recording their statistics is a big step for Minecraft, which has generally been seen as mostly a creation game up to this point. Those simple weather effects are looking pretty too. I just feel bad for all the pigs that are going to be forced to take cliff dives.

Yvl9921

Our Sweet Prince
Apr 4, 2009
Alright, that's all it needed for me to give it a try. Looks like I'll be spending my summer on it.

whiteshark12

Jan 30, 2011
Rather late on this, this has been common knowledge for the last 2 days.

anyway, if you pause at 0:50 the lightning bolt causes a fire, but apparantly rain puts out fire, so even if it struck a flammable object is (shouldn't) burn.

RikSharp

Feb 11, 2009
whiteshark12 said:

anyway, if you pause at 0:50 the lightning bolt causes a fire, but apparantly rain puts out fire, so even if it struck a flammable object is (shouldn't) burn.
it's unlikely to cause a large fire due to the rain, but because it has been happening more than they would like, they will be making the thunder and lightng less common than the video shows.

thing that gets me though.
if the weather can detect when you are under something, how comes the clouds cant detect that they hit an object?

AwesomeFerret

Apr 28, 2010
Achievement Get!
Awesome Update

Yeah, this is gonna be good. Can't wait to see what sort of mischievous/crazy/insane stuff notch is going to have us doing. I mean he's already got us riding a pig off a cliff! What next, slapping a creeper to death with bacon or blowing up cake with TNT? The fun times are coming, I can tell :)

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Looks good, but the weather intervals come and go too quickly really, but I can get used to it.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Kinda sucks Escapists Minecraft server has mobs turned off..
EDIT: The rain kinda happens too often, but probably its set like that for demonstration only.

whiteshark12

Jan 30, 2011
RikSharp said:
whiteshark12 said:

it's unlikely to cause a large fire due to the rain, but because it has been happening more than they would like, they will be making the thunder and lightng less common than the video shows.

if the weather can detect when you are under something, how comes the clouds cant detect that they hit an object?
Pretty sure they upped the frequency specifically for the video, it's not a good way to show off if it only lasts a few seconds. And the clouds are a moving .png image, while the rain probably does a check to see if the point can see the upper limit with no blocks in the way before it renders it.

The Zango

Resident stoner and Yognaught
Apr 30, 2009
What I want is an achievement for getting struck my lightening... Whilst riding a pig off of a cliff :D

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Those achievements are not a bad substitute for a proper tutorial at all. Plus I love the rain, it's gonna make my planned Mordorfication of my realm look that much more depressing.

Centrophy

Dec 24, 2009
whiteshark12 said:
RikSharp said:
whiteshark12 said:

Pretty sure they upped the frequency specifically for the video, it's not a good way to show off if it only lasts a few seconds. And the clouds are a moving .png image, while the rain probably does a check to see if the point can see the upper limit with no blocks in the way before it renders it.
Aww, just an image? I kinda wanted to harvest some clouds. :) The game looks a lot better than from what I remember of it. I'll probably have to try it in the next few updates, hopefully after some quests are added.

GWarface

Jun 3, 2010
C95J said:
Looks good, but the weather intervals come and go too quickly really, but I can get used to it.
Thats only for demonstration.. Its says so in the videos description...

Cant wait for this... Just as i cant wait for any patch to this awesome game... Just need some more content now, they might add the Piston Mod to the game.. whatever it is, it sounds cool...

pyroghast

Feb 21, 2011
Centrophy said:
whiteshark12 said:
RikSharp said:
whiteshark12 said:

Aww, just an image? I kinda wanted to harvest some clouds. :) The game looks a lot better than from what I remember of it. I'll probably have to try it in the next few updates, hopefully after some quests are added.
quests would ruin the pure survival aspect of the game and Notch knows it and said that if he were to add a story it would be in an "Adventure Mode" sepret from survival mode. these achievements are the closest thing to quests Minecraft Survival Mode will probably get.

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
C95J said:
Don't worry, the frequency of weather effects was sped up a hell of a lot for the sake of demonstration.

The_State

Jun 25, 2008
I think the only thing which could improve the achievements, at least the early ones, would be little schematics to show how to build things like the workbenches and ovens and whatnot. The less outside research the player has to do, the better.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
If Bioware getting it's Canadian ass handed to it by Mojang, is what it took for Notch to Finally get some Work done in this Fucking game.....then I say it was well worth it.

Polish the game. Release it. Then use that Escapist Ad deal, Notch. You know you wanna!

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
C95J said:
On his blog he mentioned that they turned up frequency for the sake of the video.
OT: Really looking forward to this. Gonna be fun. Achievements, hopefully their is a fair few achievements already. Though obviously more will be added as they're thought of, and new things are added.