Light Cycles Go Turn-Based in Tron Board Game

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Light Cycles Go Turn-Based in Tron Board Game

Tron's light cycles have been slowed down to accomodate the turn-based nature of a board game.

The fast-paced Tron [http://www.amazon.com/Tron-Legacy-Two-Disc-Blu-ray-Combo/dp/dp/B004K4N64E] light cycle game where participants drive high-powered virtual motorcycles that leave walls behind them for opponents to crash into isn't really something you'd think would translate into a board game. Nevertheless, a man has created one.

Brett King developed a Tron light cycle board game for personal use so he and his "subroutines," also known as his kids, could play. Sorry, it's not for sale. It glows through blacklight-reactive paint and uses fluorescent orange and blue acrylic for the cycle walls.

It comes with six light cycles: 3 blue and three orange. King and co. are still working on the game's rules, but they have a basic set figured out. Players take turns moving a light cycle in increments of 2 inches, 4 inches, 8 inches, or 12 inches, or they can use their turns to rotate a cycle. If a cycle hits a wall, it and its walls are removed from the game. The player with the last light cycle left wins.

The Recognizer [http://tron.wikia.com/wiki/Recognizer] is a nice touch. While the basic idea might be more exciting in the world of Tron, it could be pretty fun as designed here. I'm sure Tron fans are already trying to get King to backtrack on that "not for sale" thing.

Source: Ars Technica [http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2011/04/homemade-tron-playset.html]

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
Looks fun to me. I think, though, that it would be better with smaller lightcycles (so they aren't 3-spaces long) and a larger board it would be great. Kind of like a multiplayer, turn-based game of Centipede.

Somebody must make a flash game out of this.

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
Hmmm, maybe not a heart-racing as the original but I'd certainly give it a go; it has 'geek chic' written all over it.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Sporky111 said:
Looks fun to me. I think, though, that it would be better with smaller lightcycles (so they aren't 3-spaces long) and a larger board it would be great. Kind of like a multiplayer, turn-based game of Centipede.

Yeah no format could give this as much justice as being in a Digital "Grid" No need to worry about Light Track pieces and such If it's automatically added/removed.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
It's a geek equivalent of Go. Just how offensive can you play without stumbling into a trap. Probably makes a good strategy game.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
This would have much more strategy involved then the original (real time).

But it has some flaws. To big Light Cycles and small map. Don't know about the rules.

Mouse One

Jan 22, 2011
Heh...I can see why he doesn't want to put it up for sale. Keep it to yourself, and the only people you need to please is your family.

13lackfriday

Feb 10, 2009
Looks like an awesome concept and one he should totally patent/sell to Disney.

I've got a better idea for the light-streams though. Instead of those colored transparent blocks, you could just stick a laser emitter in the back of the cycles, and use mirrors to angle them according to their path.

If power's an issue, since it is all being played on a board, I suppose you could convert it into a power-mat or something akin to lightrails or bumper cars, in which contact conducts electricity to keep them powered.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
While hes probably not intersted in trying to sell it as that would land him a big lawsuit. I'd be shocked if he isn't talking with disney about them making it an official game they could sell.

darkfire613

Jun 26, 2009
Sporky111 said:

A summer camp I used to go to actually had a game like that installed on the computers, where it was, as you said, multiplayer Centipede. I think it was called something like Armagedtron.

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
For a ruleset, I recommend using programmed movements like Robo Rally or Duck Duck Go. That gives the chaotic feeling of real-time interaction while still allowing for the strategic play of turn-based movement. It also allows people to get the jump if the cards have "speed" values that determine the order of resolution.

As compensation for advising you on the ruleset, I ask only one copy of the completed game when you take it to market and a mention in the rulebook.